What's new

Official 2016 Oscar Nominations and Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Obviously, he was in The Godfather(s) but I think he was best known for his TV work so it's probably better to recognize him at this year's Emmys.

If they included Bowie, they should have included Vigoda.

Also did anyone else notice the somewhat dark irony of using "Blackbird" for the Death Roll......"All your life, you were only waiting for this moment to arrive" I guess technically it's true that we're all waiting to die, but still. However, I do understand why they chose that song.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yeah and it was beyond transparent. I understand that they're scared of the media's coverage of the reaction on Twitter but that was more insulting. Not only were they pandering, they also thought that the people that are complaining were stupid enough to be placated by such an obvious move.

Especially since some of the presenters were of dubious relevance to Oscar, Olivia Munn comes to mind, for example.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Especially since some of the presenters were of dubious relevance to Oscar, Olivia Munn comes to mind, for example.

Or Sofia Vergara.

Reportedly the lowest-rated Oscar telecast of the past 8 years.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Just stumbled upon this thread and now wish I had written my Post here; rather than creating my own.
Sorry about that Ronald.
If you are able to transfer my first Post to your thread, then be my guest; it won't bother me at all.
Anyway, there is one thing I didn't mention on my thread entitled "Oscars 88th/Observations and Records"; and, perhaps, you could answer this question. In last night's telecast I heard reference of an Honorary Oscar given out to someone involved in Film Restoration.
Do you know the name of that recipient and what his work had been?
If I heard it right, then hopefully this paves the way for Robert Harris.
That would be way cool, for our resident archivist.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
They should end the Dark Knight Rule. It's done the exact opposite of what it was supposed to do in every possible way.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
What was odd, for me at least, was the lack of 'stars' in the audience. Whenever they panned the seats. I had a hard time finding anyone recognizable.

Were Streep, Clooney, Cooper, Nicholson, Washington, Berry, Scorsese, Douglas, Gere, Roberts, Hathaway, etc. there?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
NOTE:
I just stumbled upon a thread entitled "Official 2016 Oscar Nominations and Discussion Thread" by Ronald Epstein
When Posting my thread, I was not aware of Mr. Epstein's.
I have written on his thread a request to transfer my first Post to his;
as I believe it would be best to keep the continuity of Oscar discussions confined to what he earlier established, back in January.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I hate the political stuff unless it's really funny, but I found (most of) it really funny, so it was OK with me. :)

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
If they want to save the show, they need to get rid of the almost two MONTH "awards season." By the time the players get to the Oscars, they've done weeks of this process. The talent have lost all spontaneity, perspective, and joy by this point. That is why the Oscars feel like a death march year after year. It is the last 1.2 miles of a marathon.

Well, be thankful that the season isn't an additional ~5 weeks, like it was not all that long ago, when the Academy Awards were presented on the first Monday in APRIL.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Keaton, Gable, Walter Pidgeon (How Green Was My Valley and Mrs. Miniver) and Russell Crowe (Gladiator and A Beautiful Mind) all repeated in consecutive Best Picture winners, with Gable and Crowe winning for the first and being nominated for the second. Meryl Streep was a supporting actress nominee for The Deer Hunter and Kramer vs. Kramer--I don't think any other actress has been in two consecutive Best Picture winners.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Actually the Oscars have only been held in April once in the last 30 years (1988, due to the writers strike), so yeah it has been a long time.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
If they included Bowie, they should have included Vigoda.

Agree. I loves me some Bowie, but it was silly to include him on the Oscars memorial. He's gotten tributes where he deserves them: at music shows. Although 30-something women think of him as the dude from "Labyrinth", to everyone else he's a musician, not an actor...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
OMG, probably one of the worst shows they've ever done.

Especially that opening monologue by Chris Rock. Not terribly PC to say, but it was apparently bash white people time. Ten minutes of him whining about how blacks were passed over? There was nothing racist that happened this year, but no black people rose to the level of being nominated for an Oscar.

What's next? Future nominees must be 74% white, 20% black, and 6% "other". I'm even shocked the gay guys won, finally. Surpsised it wasn't cut from the broadcast.

I'll probably be deleted, warned, maybe even banned, so read fast.
I don't agree with your thought process, but why do you think you'll get banned? Also, I guess you missed the shots, Rock took at the blacks boycotting the Oscars. Furthermore, he was in a no-win situation, since he was announced as emcee long before this so-called boycott, Rock wasn't going to make people on both sides of this argument happy. Some will think he was too critical or those on the other side of this argument would think he wasn't critical enough.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Best moment of the night by far to me was Morricone's long-overdue first win. Also happy for Leo.

Awkward timing of Lady Gaga bringing down the house immediately followed by perhaps the worst Bond song in the history of the franchise winning Best Song.

Biggest winner of the night? Tom Hardy. By my count he played a major part in films that took home 9 Oscars last night.

Surprised to see Steven Spielberg sitting at least 10 rows from the stage considering Bridge of Spies was up for Best Picture.

I thought Chris Rock was a mixed bag. At times hilarious and others positively cringe-inducing.

What is desperately needed is the same type of journalistic tenacity shown in Spotlight turned on the crucial issue of central banking and the big banks highlighted in The Big Short.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks