What's new
World Wide Stereo

NTSC Tuner in JVC D-ILA sets?? (1 Viewer)

Peka J

Agent
My parents are getting ready to buy a new TV for the room they are having added onto their house and have asked me for suggestions. I have been impressed by the look (and price) of the new JVC D-ILA sets (LCOS) and that's on top of the list to show to them. But, my parents have some crazy set up going on in their house - they have both DirecTV satellite and cable service. Most of their TV come is over Satellite and it looks very good. They will be upgrading to HDTV and getting a new dish and box accordingly, and ordering HDTV from DirecTV (I don't know anything about DirecTV's HD offerings, but that's for another thread). But they still insist on getting local cable even though you can get local channels via satellite now (couldn't when they first installed DirecTV), solely because it carries this one station, Metro, which isn't carried on DirecTV. The only purpose of this is for the 1-2 games a season when the New York Rangers games are bounced because of conflicts from their regular spot on MSG, and from the backup on Fox Sports. (All of this is even more moot now that there is no hockey anymore, but I digress again). Plus, the picture on cable in their house is terrible. It drives me crazy that they keep this instead of ordering locals from DirecTV.

All of which is a long, windy prelude (I apologize) to my question. They obviously will have a DirecTV box with component cables (don't know if any DirecTV boxes use HDMI yet) going to the TV for the DirecTV portion, including hi-def. However, they don't use a cable box on their old TV's since they only watch unscrambled channels on cable. Do all TV's come with a NTSC tuner built in? I know having the newer ATSC tuner for HDTV is mandated and being phased in now. But they don't need this, they just need a regular old tuner that every TV always had - do these new TV's like DLP LCD and LCOS all come with this tuner to get regular TV from an antenna or cable? Is this kind of tuner even needed to get a picture from cable with no box? Thanks in advance for any info.

728x90

KalaniP

Grip
As far as I know, yes. I have never heard of a TV (not talking about projectors here), aside from special studio monitors, that did not have a generic NTSC tuner built in so you could use it with rabbit ears if need be. I'm pretty sure anything made in the past 5 years is going to be "cable ready" at the very least.

Peka J

Agent
Thanks. The JVC website doesn't list it. It's actually a pretty poor website for info on their products, but not the worst I've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denapix
Recent bookmarks