What's new

Novice HTPC questions, audio... (1 Viewer)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I posted this last night in AVS forum, havent got a response from anyone yet...
okay. I am obtaining the use of an Infocus LP350 and want to set it up on a temp basis at home. I have a SONY VAIO that has a nvidia card with DVI output. I want to utilize this and the DVD player in the PC for video (I hear this is a superior setup).
For Audio, I need to be able to send the digital out to my Denon 3801. So I need a new sound card capable of digital out for DTS and DD signals, right ?
What do ppl use ? I unknowlingly checked out Creative labs website and saw they had a 5.1 capable card, but after reading some posts, I see CL are not favorable.
I would like to just use a single optical cable from the PC for audio.
Also, should I get some new DVD software to play the movies ? I have been just using the stock software installed on my VAIO, and its not one of the major ones - powerDVD or WinDVD.
-alex
------------------
My HT

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I hear good things about the Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo II... it has optical outs and I think you get PowerDVD 3.0 with the card. Info at http://www.hercules.com
There is also the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 that seems pretty cool:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/m-audio/audiophile.htm
Personal gut feeling (yeah I know, not much to go on, so you could also read the specs and the review they have on their page) says the Audiophile is a better part, but if you go with that one you'll probably need a SPDIF -> optical converter box too, unless you have an SPDIF digital port free on your receiver and not just an optical.
------------------
/Kimmo
[Edited last by Kimmo Jaskari on October 31, 2001 at 01:24 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks