What's new

Not sure what I got can you help?? (1 Viewer)

Keith_Hart

Grip
New to this whole home theater stuff so I found this site trying to figure out what I am going to be doing. I inherited a very nice home theater system from a relative and I am not sure what I really have. I have an unfinished basement and I am planning on finishing it out and this system should fit in nicely. Again the only problem is that I have no idea what I have and I would like any suggestions on if the equipment is up to date and will work for what I need. Here is a consolidated list of items with questions. If you can tell me what I am missing so I can begin looking for it I would be very appreciative.

Projector – RUNCO it is a big CRT version but there are no markings on the unit to tell me what model of the CRT product it is. I have the serial numbers and have e-mailed RUNCO but have not heard anything back. The date on it is 2/99. Does anyone know where a model number or id might be on the unit. Also it has a Digital video processor separate unit. The question I have is can I use this projector like a TV? Also do I need to buy a separate item to make it show TV and movies in HDTV? Is it even capable of working like that.

Amps – I have two amps that are in the boxes. The first one is a Parasound PSP-1500 AV processor / pre-amplifier. Not sure what this is for but the next one is even bigger. The second item is a Parasound HCA High Current power Amplifier. Not sure what either of these two do but I assume that one helps push power to the speakers and the stereo.

JAMO Speakers – These things are very heavy speakers. I have 4 speakers that are about 3 feet long and very heavy. I can’t find any model type on these either. I have looked on the JAMO site but can’t find anything that matches. It also has a two-foot by one foot base box that goes with the system. In most of the post I have read everyone notes that you need six speakers for a quality sound. Should I be looking for other speakers if I am going to be putting this stuff in a big room?

Creston ST-DS remote. Believe it or not I can figure this one out. There are four separate items for this but they all appear to be in good shape.

Screen- This one I can just say I have a long screen about 10 feet that has an electronic motor. Have not played with this one but assume it is in good shape.

Overall I think that I am missing the main receiver and a good DVD player. Not sure why I did not get those also but I assume that these are needed to make the system work. Is there anything else that I am missing that I should begin looking for?

Thanks in advance for everyone’s help and I know there are a lot of questions. I just feel like a opportunity to set up a great system here but not sure what is needed.

Keith

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hmm...how did you get all this stuff? where are the instruction manuals?

i can tell you the brands you listed are pretty decent. jamo, crestron, parasound, etc. all decent stuff.

projector: no clue on that...sorry.

amps: the pre-amp/process and the amp work together. you hook up all your other componenets (including speakers) to this.

speakers: you typically need 5.1 speakers. 5 main speakers (left, center, right, rear-left, rear-right) plus a subwoofer (the ".1") for the boom!

remotes: you have four of them? not sure what's up there...

you don't need a receiver, since your parasound will take care of your processing/amplification.

since you have so many questions, if you don't get replies here, i recommend you post *component-specific* questions in the appropriate forum.

good luck!

edit: oh yeah, be sure you read the beginner faq. i suspect it will answer some of your q's.

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
You are a lucky man. It sounds as if you have a very high dollar, high quality set-up there.

1:Runco is THE name in front projection, and CRT is THE standard for best picture. Without knowing model numbers, I'd take a wild guess and say that this piece alone was $20,000-$30,000 when new. Nice!

2:Ted is right. These two components do what a receiver would do for you. But since each is a separate unit, it is dedicated to it's one job with less compromises than an all-in-one receiver.

3:are you sure the 5th speaker (the one you are calling a bass box) isn't a center channel speaker? this would give you a 5 channel surround system without a sub. This makes more sense than a 4 channel system with a sub.

4: be careful with that screen. They are a lot more expensive than you would guess. Don't fold, crease, or stain it.

5:Your remote is programmable and can learn macros to control complex sequences of commands with one button. The other units may be IR repeaters to allow you to control the equipment if it is mounted out of sight.

You will need a dvd player.
With a TV tuner, such as a cable or satellite box, you can run tv signals to your projector. I'm guessing, but I would assume that it is also capable of High Definition TV as well, with the proper tuner.
To elaborate on what Ted said, these are all MORE than decent brands. They are all, top notch audiophile and videophile equipment. Whoever left them to you took his home theater very seriously. I could only wish to afford such a set-up.

One more thing...Considering the very high quality of your equipment and your lack of experience in this area. I would HIGHLY recommend consulting a professional before starting construction of the room you will be installing these in. Even the best equipment can sound terrible if the room isn't designed properly. It's simple things really, room dimensions to avoid and some consideration for sound absorption/diffusion. Also, whether you install it yourself, or have it done, PLEASE have a professional calibrate it once it's in. This is especially important for a crt projector, but it is also very important for your sound system. It's an inexpensive way to be sure it is performing up to it's maximum potential.

Enjoy your system, your a lucky man.
Steve

Keith_Hart

Grip
Thank you both for your replies. Yes the person did take their home audio very seriously and was not worried about money. I knew the system was good just have not every looked into this real area. A few follow ups

Ted:
1. The remote is one unit but there were three other separate boxes, I assume, that help control the system. In reality there is only one remote.
2. There were no manuals in anything just boxes of stuff. I was told when and where to go and pick it up. All of the wires were in boxes along with all of the other equipment.

Steve:
1. I was told the CRT system starts around 20K and I am really excited to have it but do you know where to find the model number on the darn thing? Also one of the original questions does the CRT support HDTV or am I asking a stupid question.
2. On the speakers I went back and verified that I have 4 speakers and one black box that is one foot by maybe one or two feet. Very big and very heavy. Upon further review on the back of the base black box the model number was SV 505E. I am going to look that up later on tonight.
3. The screen is in a rolled up state. I would assume that the screen is remote controlled and can be worked like that. I have all of it stored at this time until I get the room set up.
4. The Runco did come with another part and it was labeled Digital video processor.
5. I completely agree with your statement about getting someone who knows how to set this stuff up to do it. Again as you can tell by my questions I have no idea but as I complete the design of the basement I am going to get someone to come in and design the wiring and do all of the set up work. I would be stupid to try to do it on my on. Especially since the Runco projector is about 200 pound alone.

Thanks again for the help from both of you. I am sure over the next few months I will have more and more pictures and I will try to post the construction on the web somewhere.

Keith

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,
Go on-line to the manufactures web site for each piece of equipment. Armed with the model numbers, you should be able to find on-line versions of the manuals, or possibly order new ones. Someone who is knowledgeable in HT could probably work his way through the menus on each component and set it up, but it's always easier with the proper manuals.

Many projectors have a panel that lift off or up to reveal inputs and adjustments. See if you can find a panel to remove, your model numbers may be there. I can't say for sure, but I'd say it's a good bet that it does support HDTV. The video processor may also have something to do with whether it will or not. Try the website of the maker to see if you can find specs and/or a manual.

Also, before nailing the first nail, I would suggest speaking to someone about room design, or at least optimum dimensions and construction detail that will pay great dividends later in proper sound control. A professional designer/installer would be best, but a knowledgeable sales person at a HT SPECIALTY STORE (not a best buy, circuit city, etc)could give you some very good advice. Believe me, it's easier to do it now, in the design stage than to try to sonically fix a bad room later.

Steve

Keith_Hart

Grip
Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I have opened and looked all over that thing and can not find anything that tells me a model number or type. I have e-mailed RUNCO but have not seen anything back from them yet. I am going to get a local HT company (Not best buy type store) next week after I get the first draft of the room lay out for the entire basement. Thanks again for your help…Keith

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
CRT projectors are arguably the best of the best. Runcos are usually just rebadged Barcos. You'll have to get at the model number somehow, take a peek at runco's website, they have their current models up, you can at least guestimmate what kind of CRT (as in size 7,8, or 9 incher). It all depends on the projector whether it can handle HDTV or not. AVS forum also has a VERY extensive CRT forum, if you can find the exact model of that runco the guys there are very knowledgable and can help you out a lot.

You could also, of course contact a runco dealer and have them help you out. Runco has that "high-end" stink of high prices, so you may need to pay a lot out of pocket to have it set-up, etc. If you are willing to take some time researching, one can set up a CRT on their own, and do quite well.

That the runco has a video processor along with it hints that it is capable of displaying higher (HDTV) resolutions. Most big, high-end CRTs, 8 or 9 inch units can display VERY high resolutions, that far surpass DVD quality, thus the need to line double/triple/quadrouple for such a huge screen. DVD doesn't look so hot when blown up to a 10 foot screen. Just keep in mind that a CRT projector is quite a project, but is well worth it in the long run. Again, try to find the exact runco model, see if a dealer can provide some assistance, and also check out the CRT section over at the AVS forum, or the display forums here.

Keith_Hart

Grip
Chris thanks for your reply. Can you let me know of a URL for the AVS (is this audio visual system in this site?) Thanks again for your help and I hope to have a local HT installer who knows what they are doing the give me some prices for the install.

DavidES

Stunt Coordinator
Here is another forum that has individual manufactorer groups. They might be able to assist you in greater detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks