What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Not sure if this has been covered, 'SEINFELD' episodes are out of order. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I tried a search but couldn't find anything on this particular facet of the 'Seinfeld' dvd's. I found numerous threads on the show and it would take me all night to search through them all. If this has been covered, I apologize.

I couldn't help but notice that the episodes are presented on the dvd's out of order from their original air dates. It's really no big deal for me because I still have my Entertainment Weekly and TV Guide farewell magazines from when the show ended, with every episode listed along with reviews and their air dates, so I can simply consult one of them when I watch the discs.

However, it's still troubling, I thought the whole point of having complete shows on dvd was to have them all in the right order that they aired, so that it wouldn't be a random thing to watch them as it is on TBS and FOX.

To quote Jerry, "Did you ever notice this?"

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
That's because many studios chose to release episodes in production order as opposed to airdate order. This is not a mistake on their part. Most often, continuity is more consistent when episodes are ordered by production date as opposed to airdate. Because think of all the shows whose actual continuity wasn't all it should have been because of the way the networks chose to air the episodes (Futurama, Saved by the Bell, etc.).

Production order rules!

EDIT:

I have the TV Guide one, which was thoroughly excellent. They rated all the episodes on a scale of one to five.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I see, thanks Dane. It was just odd to me when I discovered this because I have a few shows on dvd and this is the first time i've come accross something like that. But as I said, no big deal.

The Entertainment Weekly mag isn't as good as the TV Guide one, I find that I turn to that one more often when I watch the dvd's.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Production order actually has more continuity on Seinfeld. For example, the episode "The Stranded" was produced during season 2, before the episode "The Revenge." "The Revenge" aired as the penultimate episode of season 2, while "The Stranded" didn't air until season 3. Here's the problem with them airing in that order: The Stranded featured George dating his co-worker Ava. However, in The Revenge he quit the job where he worked with her. So when the Stranded aired, he went out with his "co-worker" even though he was unemployed (according to the show's season 3 storylines) when the show aired.

So production order makes more sense for Seinfeld.

paul_austin

Second Unit
hmmm star trek is presented in airdate order which kinda blows since it took them a while to settle on a look....production order would have been prefered

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkletoes
Recent bookmarks