What's new

NHL 2005-2006 Season Game On! Discussion (2 Viewers)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Naslund has resigned with the Canucks for $18M over 3 years (reportedly). Official announcement today. I'm not sure where that leaves us with Neidermayer or Forsberg. Neidermayer will apparently be making a decision today.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The current max is 7.8, but the point is still valid. With a floating cap, anything can happen, and a decrease in cap would force anyone with a max salary to be bought out, although I think there is some provision for that in the CBA.

If nothing else, the cap is doing what it is supposed to, which is redistributing talent. I think we're going to see some nail biters this year, and whoever takes the cup will have to work for it.

I'm glad we got Naslund back, but still hope my Canucks can make a play for another top player, since so far we are pretty much the same team we saw last season.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
the pens will have a dangerous powerplay this year.

iginla is a solid player, but he should not be making 7 mil/year. especially when a guy like naslund makes 6.

CJ

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Anybody else have flashbacks of the Bruins signing "top caliber" defenseman (???) Paul Coffey? Granted, Leetch was better defensively, but except for Ray Bourque an offensive defenseman tends to lose it all of a sudden once his wheels go, and on his best days, Leetch was/is no Ray Bourque.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

It's a done deal: the Flames scheduled a news conference for 4:30 ET. With him out of the free agent market next season, the pickings look to be slim for my Leafs.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, this is more my worry. At least Leetch can be counted on to play defense, unlike Coffey who didn't even know how to play defense.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I never considered Coffey a "defenseman", either. He was really a forward playing out of position. He was the NHL's version of Deion Sanders -- a defensive player who never made a tackle or hit anyone.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, only Coffey could play on the highest scoring run-and-gun team in history and still finish a -14 +/- for the season.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I always liked that uniform, it brought out the blue in my eyes... :D
It's my breakout year, honest!

The Naslund signing is official, now we are just waiting on anything else major to happen.

Looking at the signed list, I bet a lot of RFAs won't have much choice but to take their QOs if they expect to play in the NHL this year. There are still a lot of big names available, and their salaries are going to start shrinking soon as well unless they announce another 3 teams this year.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Still trying to decide how I feel about St Louis losing both Pronger and Demitra. I guess they needed to overhaul but this badly? I guess they are still keeping Tchachuk(sp?) and Weight right?

Not like I had high hopes for the Blues anyway..

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor

Well, the Blues are being sold sometime so Bill Laurie is probably forcing Pleau to get the payroll down to about 30-31 mill to make the team attractive to sell. Demitra was gone since he was an UFA and the Blues had slammed him verbally in arbitration 2x. No way he was going to resign w/ the Blues. Pronger was a RFA and becoming an UFA next season so I guess they figured get rid of him now b/c he probably won't come back. Of course, Brewer, who they got in return, is also an RFA. They will have to sign this guy to a long term deal or look like idiots.

Weight's contract is too big to move. They didn't buy him out b/c it would just be pissing money down the drain for a team you are selling. Tkachoke's contract is too high this year as well, but it drops drastically next year (3.8 mill). If the Blues are sputtering at the trade deadline, look for Tkachoke to be traded.

With these moves, the Blues do have a very solid defensive core. The scoring is going to be the problem.

Oh yeah, Cujo rumored to Pitt.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Bruins sign Brian Leetch, one year, no terms listed.

Hope he's still got something in the tank. I'm disappointed cause I really wanted a bruising firebreather, not a more gentlemanly type like Leetch. Oh well.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Sopel to the Islanders, Naslund hinting that Nonis is working on D, and Neidermayer postponing his press conference... Nonis press conference at 2PM PST.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
i don't think there's any way they can put cloutier back between the pipes after the way they treated him in the flames series.

hedberg is a UFA

I'd imagine Auld (sp?) is under contract but he's still young.

we'll see i suppose

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
peca to oilers for york?

i know the oilers dominate the islanders on almost every trade but come on lowe, you're losing it man.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks