What's new

"Leave It To Beaver: Season 1" -- A Personal Review (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
There's a TiVo ad on the radio where the TV is talking, asking its owner to get rid of the VCR in favor of a TiVo. At the end, he says, "Oh, and please--ixnay on the Leave it to Beaver reruns!"
:angry: I'd kick that stupid TV out of my house. :angry:
:)

DanFe

Second Unit
My son recently bought himself a small videoman type player and he has had LITB in that player watching every episode. He loves it. BTW, he's 15 years old.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Merry Christmas to you too, Mike. (And everyone.)
And I, too, Greg, would send that talking TV packing due to its horrid taste in sitcoms. A shocking lack of Beaver appreciation! :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Merry Christmas to you, too, David, as well as all of our other HTF Beaver pals. Unfortunately, I don't expect I'll be getting this set tomorrow. I will get it with the expected Best Buy gift card as soon as the crowds die down, though. In the meantime, I will go to sleep tonight with visions of your imagined Leave It To Beaver Christmas episode dancing in my head.
Golly! Now I won't be able to get to sleep, on account of thinking of June in a Santa cap, pearls, and maybe a nice red garter belt. You and your multi-angles. :D

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I picked up the Beav today at Costco for $30.29. Don't know if that was a good price or not, but it was right there, so I grabbed it.

I'll agree the picture is surprisingly grainy when compared to the I Love Lucy DVDs, but it's not horrible. It sure is great to finally have this on DVD.

I went looking for more info on the "Small World" pilot, and ran across a review on MovieFreak.com that oddly claims the pilot "has not seen daylight since first broadcast in the 1950s." Bologna! I've seen it before, and I was born in 1965. I wonder if the reviewer just thought that sounded really dramatic.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I'll agree the picture is surprisingly grainy when compared to the I Love Lucy DVDs said:
For just a second (when I saw "review" here in your post) I thought that perhaps it was I who had foolishly put such inaccurate info in my review here. But then I saw that you were referring to somebody else.
Yes, that person is definitely mistaken re. the pilot. I've had it on homemade VHS since about 1988 or so.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I take it, then, Greg, you don't want to hear about my multi-angled proposal for an episode involving June up at Friends Lake, when, to Ward's utter delight, she unveils her brand-new 2-piece bikini bathing suit in all its slinky glory?
I never thought of June that way, but may not be able to help it now.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
JUNE -- "Ward, why don't you ever bring me flowers?"
WARD -- "I'm the kind that says it with seat covers."
David: That was just one of my many laugh-out-loud lines! It came just seconds after..."Who is Corniela Rayburn? And, when did she see you off your feet?"!!! :laugh:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Greg: Are you not human, man?!?! June is HOT! HOT! HOT!
Growing up with a show, I just never noticed those things. I didn't notice Marcia and later-season Jan Brady were hot until it was kind of sick for me to notice--even though they are both older than me. :crazy:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
One last thought on our detour:
On Evangeline Lilly, we can agree. Not on Eve Plumb.
lost-wallpaper.jpg

NOW...back to our regularly scheduled thread! :D

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I've had it on homemade VHS since about 1988 or so.
Aha! Only info I was able to find was that it was brodcast on I think Nick at Nite several years ago. But when I saw it, I was almost sure I had seen it in syndication years before that.

David, is there any reference anywhere that tells what dates the episodes were SHOT, espcially the pilot?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea about the "Film" dates with regard to LITB, or the "Small World" pilot. But the pilot aired for the first time (in syndication) in April 1957, so it was either filmed in very early '57 or late '56 even.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I got my copy in the mail from amazon a couple days ago,i watched about 5 or 6 random episodes with no problems so far, including the pilot. Hopefully ill get through the set with no problems. No wonder they changed ward and wally, they were terrible in the pilot! :D

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Oh, I didn't think they were terrible at all. But clearly the "magic" cast was the final one!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks