What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

NFL 2011 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
When Wes Welker dropped that pass late in the 4th quarter, I knew the Pats were done. Plus the ball bounced the way of the Giants twice with the fumbles. And I had a feeling that safety would impact the strategy late in the game, and it did.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott, I got the game wrong, and was also 7-4 in my playoff predictions. This means, of course, that you and I need to have a playoff. ;)
Too bad they moved the Pro Bowl to the week before the Super Bowl. That could have been our playoff. On 2nd thought, that's a bad idea, because then I may feel compelled to watch part of that awful event. :laugh: Yes, that Welker dropped pass ultimately doomed the Pats. New England needed another 1-2 first downs to bleed the clock with the Giants only having one timeout. Giving Manning 3:45 left made the timeout situation irrelevant. It was interesting watching Bradshaw have his "oh sh*t" moment when he realized he shouldn't be scoring, but couldn't stop himself. Had New England come back, he would have been one of the biggest goats in Super Bowl history.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott Merryfield said:
Too bad they moved the Pro Bowl to the week before the Super Bowl. That could have been our playoff. On 2nd thought, that's a bad idea, because then I may feel compelled to watch part of that awful event. :laugh:
Scott, I read this morning that doing away with the Pro Bowl is something Goodell may consider. I can't live without my Pro Bowl. ;) http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7542806/nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-says-ceasing-pro-bowl-consideration

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I didn't watch this year's pro bowl, but it's always been the most ridiculous all star game that I know of, with good reason. Players have just finished a season of 20 games or more getting the crap beat out of them and they certainly don't want to jeopardize their careers in a meaningless game. I'd be really pissed if a charger had his career ended or diminished by this game. Either educate the fans to know what to expect or eliminate the game. I sure don't think they should be going out there at even half-speed in this game. NE sure blew that game. The safety, the 5 yard penalty, and Welker's dropped pass. Eliminate any one of them and the game may go the other way. Then there's the time NE wasted on that final drive when the receivers had the dropsies. In the first and fourth quarters the Pats did not play like the pros we have been accustomed too. The longer you stay near the top, the more likely you will have some moments that don't measure up. Belechick and Brady and the Pats still have 3 SB wins, and those haven't been diminished. The difference between having 3 wins and 5 wins is paper-thin. The two losses were hard fought and worthy of the name Super Bowl. However, the Giants didn't back into the win. They took advantage of their opportunities when the arose. Both teams could have won, but the Giants were better.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Johnny, As I heard this morning (and I concur), I think Tom Brady will be thinking for quite some time about the two rings that Eli has rather than the three that he himself has, since he's probably thinking that at least one -- if not both -- of those rings could easily have been his instead of Eli's. But this IMO is what makes the NFL (and the MLB, NBA, and NHL) so amazing. A shot here, a miss there, a catch here, a drop there -- these sports often are a game of inches in many cases. I wouldn't trade any of it away (win or lose) when it comes to rooting for my favorite teams. :) Not that this matters much, but I wonder how many people would look at the Giants - Patriots final score (21-17) and think that the Giants scored three touchdowns, and New England two (and a field goal)? LOL. In years to come, I doubt too many will think that the twenty-one points that were scored by New York were the result of a safety, touchdown and P.A.T., two field goals, and a touchdown with a missed two-point conversion. ;)

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ockeghem said:
Johnny, As I heard this morning (and I concur), I think Tom Brady will be thinking for quite some time about the two rings that Eli has rather than the three that he himself has, since he's probably thinking that at least one -- if not both -- of those rings could easily have been his instead of Eli's.
Yeah, he's gotta be thinking that. Both wins were greatly aided by unlikely catches, amongst other things. And being just human, we tend to want what we don't have, regardless of how much we do have. Jeez, if he had 5 SB wins, could anyone say he isn't the best QB ever? And yet the difference between the 5 and 3 is so small. I was listening to Rodney Harrison commenting on either espn or nfl channel saying that he would rather have Eli in the clutch instead of Brady...Ouch!

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Due to the 6 hour time difference I am not able to view the Super Bowl live. Yesterday, I read something happened in the half time show. Some female single gave "The finger". I have tried to find it and am not sure if I really saw it and yet lots of print about it A few years ago was the Janet Jackson incident which upset the FCC and people in Europe laughed about it. What was seen - I have replayed the halftime several times and have not seen anything "bad".

Also it appears that people with the TIVO recorder have no privacy! An article stated "Tara Maitra of Tivo said the company would check to see if more people play back the moment on Monday". It sounds like the TIVO people know what people are watching.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Johnny Angell said:
I was listening to Rodney Harrison commenting on either espn or nfl channel saying that he would rather have Eli in the clutch instead of Brady...Ouch!
Wasn't Rodney the guy draped over Tyree during that helmet-catch? Had Rodney knocked the ball out, he'd also have another Super Bowl ring (assuming he won one or more early in the 2000s).

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yes, he was the guy. Every time I watch that play, I can't believe Tyree made the catch. Harrison is all over him. BTW, I think the announcers mentioned that catch was Tyree's last NFL reception. There was a brief glimpse of him on the sideline.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me, or are the Patriots and their fans wailing and gnashing their teeth more than is usual for the loser of the Super Bowl?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
RobertR said:
Is it just me, or are the Patriots and their fans wailing and gnashing their teeth more than is usual for the loser of the Super Bowl?
I do not think so, but if it was, what would they have to whine about? The Giants beat them fair and square. There was no controversial call that went against the Pats. They did not have a healthy Gronkowski, who really shouldn't have even been out there, but every team has to deal with injuries. The Giants got the lucky bounces on their two fumbles, but that is just part of the game. In the end, New York made the plays they needed to at critical moments, while New England did not.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Anyone see the footage of Gronk dancing up a storm at the Patriots party (put on by Patriots ownership)? I guess he was feeling no pain. Heh.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I guess it was the video of Wes Walker on the verge of tears and the video of Brady being comforted by his wife. I agree with you, nothing really to whine about. They've won three, it's not like teams that have never won it.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I have not really sensed that they have been whining since the loss. Just as an FYI: to say they have won 3 is a little of a misnomer since very few of the players on this team have won anything. I'm not sure who on this team besides Brady has won one since the last article I saw stated that only 8 of the players where even on the team the last time the organization made it to the big game.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I think Brady, Light, and Faulk are the remaining members who have won three Super Bowls with the Patriots. I will check to be certain, though.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott Merryfield said:
What about Branch?
Scott, Yes, Branch was there as well, and as you know, eventually traded. Then he was re-signed by New England. He has two Super Bowl rings with the Patriots.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick_S said:
So I was right in that the vast majority have not won a thing.
A certain percentage of every NFL team turns over every year, so it depends on how you want to define it. It's the same ownership, head coach, QB, and a few other players that have been part of five Super Bowl trips, a 16-0 regular season, and three SB wins. Personally, I think the Pats era changes over when either Bellichick or Brady leave, but that's just one person's interpretation. I fully recognize that this season's SB loser looks vastly different than the first SB winner from the Bellichick/Brady era.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I know everyone sees 2 Super Bowls on Plunkett's CV and thinks, "how could this guy not be in the HOF?" Well, it's because Plunkett was a bust until he made his way to the Raiders, and as a backup. In fact, Plunkett didn't start either SB season as the starting QB, but came off the bench due to injury. While his first SB and SB MVP award are deserved, he totally Dilfered the second one. Plunkett's numbers are terrible, threw way more INTs than TDs, and other than those two seasons, did not perform well as a QB. Two flukey seasons does not a HOF QB make, even if they both ended with SB victories.

Roethlisberger Dilfered his first SB but played well in his second. He did not, however, win MVP in either game. But he has been to three and has had strong regular seasons. E. Manning has been a bit uneven record-wise in the regular season, but the two SB MVP awards and the clutch reputation will help. Both players' chances will shoot up with more SB appearances and more stats. If both of these guys produce at their current pace for the next 5 years, both will get into the HOF, but I think Eli is more likely a first ballot HOFer because of the 2 MVP awards. Throw in another Lombardi for either, and both are locks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks