What's new

Newby to the forum and home theater in need of help (1 Viewer)

catchmeon22s

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck Long
Ok, so here's my dilemma. I recently purchased a new house, so I'm pretty strapped for cash at the time. Upon moving in the house, I noticed the previous owners had taken the in-ceiling speakers. So rather than leave 2 holes in the ceiling, I purchased a pair of Yamaha NS-IW480CWH 8" 3-Way In-Ceiling Speakers. Now I don't have the latest and greatest, my TV is a 32" Vizio 720p 60hz. I plan to upgrade that TV in the near future, but for now I have it hooked up to logitech computer speakers. I'm sure I'm not the only one to complain about the lack of volume from TV's speakers.
So here is my question, can my in-ceiling speakers be hooked up to your average home theater package? Amazon is always offering good deals on "home theaters in a box" which include a receiver and 5 speakers. Could my in-ceilings be plugged in place of the rear speakers that come with the system?
Any help would sure be appreciated.

-Chuck

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Yes.
Are you talking about rear speakers (surround speakers) of a 5.1 system, or a 7.1 system?
In a 5.1 system, the surround speakers ideally are just behind the head, and to the sides. In a 7.1 system, the surrounds are to the sides, and the back surrounds (6th & 7th speakers) are behind you. See diagrams here, for how Dolby suggests the speakers be setup:
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/speaker-setup-guide/index.html
Good luck!

catchmeon22s

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck Long

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
You'd be OK with a receiver like that. I'm guessing they at least left the speaker wiring? Some HTiBs have proprietary connectors but they can be used to splice into normal speaker wires ... it's just a bit of a pain to do ... Also - make sure if you go for a bargain priced model that it at least has digital inputs so you can connect external devices to it --- some el-cheapo HTiBs are only good for the DVD audio.

catchmeon22s

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck Long
How would I know if they have digital inputs?? It should say on the product info, correct??

Thanks for the info and help guys!!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Quote:
How would I know if they have digital inputs?? It should say on the product info, correct??
Yes, it's say HDMI, optical/SPDIF, or digital coax. It's not just digital you want to look for, also look for component connections.

For future reference, a seller is not supposed to take things that are "attached" or build into a home unless it's in the contract. So when you did your walk-through you could have objected to the removal of the speakers and asked for a reduction of the purchase price.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Yes, you can connect to that system. But, I'm thinking you won't be happy with that particular system. It has HDMI "pass thru", so you won't get audio over the HDMI connections. You'll need separate digital connections for audio. If you want audio over HDMI, so you don't have so many cables to mess with, and if you plan on having a blu ray player, I'd suggest this system instead: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S6200-7-1-Channel-Entertainment-Receiver/dp/B002C73WS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266413441&sr=1-1 It costs a little more, but well worth it in the long run.
Good luck!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I concur with Ed's advice. The best part of an Onkyo HTiB is the receiever, often just a rebadge of Onkyo's actual receiver line. Getting a receiver with HDMI HD audio capability will allow you to keep the quite capable receiver for the future and, if you wish, upgrade your speakers and sub. This will save you money in the long run, and it saves money on cables right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks