What's new

New Walmart BRAND of HDTV sets coming (1 Viewer)

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Richard, You can buy extended warranties at wal-mart.com but for some reason the people in the stores don't seem to known about the warranties.

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
Well they do often have cheaper prices then most electonic shops, but if you want warranties (or someone who knows what they are talking about) just take the price to any other retailer and they'll beat it...

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Many retailers will not price match similar but not identical products.

This works to the consumer's disadvantage when it comes to house brands, even if the TV innards are the same, another store might not price match because the label is different.

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
I have never really had this problem... if a procuct is similar enough (and in the same model year) then I have always been able to price match. Even though price match policies always insist on these things, if you are ready to take your business elsewhere (and it makes sense in terms of margin that they are still making) then they will always do it... especially if your wanting to deal with them so that you can buy their extended warranty! :)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
My Wal-Mart has 2, 42" plasma's (one hi-def), 5 CRT RP's, and one DLP. They just got ~8 types of LCD TV's from 13-23" They had a 23" HD LCD for $1300! Also, about 3 HD CRT tubes. No good DVD players, HTiB's, etc. - yet...

Dean_S

Second Unit
The company I work for is a vendor to Walmart. What I know about the way they do business keeps me out of their stores. I will NOT spend one single red cent in a walmart or sam's club store, period.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I wish I could be like that Dean_S, some items I have purchased from there have been half of other sources I could find. That is about the only time I buy there.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Dean_S, I've heard a lot of vendors complain about Wal-Mart so what exactly is the vendors bitch with them? Do they pay their bills on time? or are they like the government who pays their vendors when they get around to it.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Logic time:

Business is business.

If a vendor is doing business with Wal*Mart, they MUST be making a profit, PERIOD. Or else they would not be doing business with Wal*Mart.

Yes, they have crushed some of their vendors, but for a company to want to pay as little as possible for a good is just business!

Wes_R

Agent
yea my superwalmart is carrung plasmas, lcds, RPs, all kinds of shit in a cheaply thrown together corner of advertisement. None of em are on, and i cant remember what brands they were..

but they werent inhouse brands though.

Chris Brock

Second Unit

I absolutly agree 100% with this. If this helps make HD technology mainstream and in high demand then I dont care who makes them or who buys them.

Also, if a huge supplier is selling HDTV's at a much lower price it will begin to force the other suppliers and manufacturers to lower their prices in order to retain the same number of sales. Basically, if a non HT crazy consumer can get a 32" HD set from walmart for say $500 then it wont be long before places like BB or CC will be selling 32" HD's in that same ballpark.

Dean_S

Second Unit

It's too much to list in this thread and I don't want to hijack the thread into a wal-mart bash. I will say that I've worked for three companies that have a relationship with walmart and only one made money (and just barely). They pay about 1/2 of what they owe and then pay games to try to keep from paying the rest, even if you follow their rules to the LETTER they still don't pay. I hate dishonest business and walmart is the top of my list for dishonest business practices. I could write a novel on why you don't want to do business with walmart and if you do how to do it where you can make money. I would be an epic even if I exclude the negative walmart effect on consumers and rural main street USA and all the other publically known bad stuff about them. I have a very positive opinion about many of the other big retailers we supply and walmart/sam's stands alone in my negative category. I love working with Amazon, JCPenny, Target, etc.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Dean:

Again, if Wal*Mart was such a horrible place to do business, NO ONE WOULD!!!

I mean, if all the companies that were doing business with Wal*Mart were getting burned, they would stop and others would NOT start.

It's not like companies are obligated to deal with them.

My business marketing teacher used to work for a company that made hearing protection gear. They were doing well until one day, their products made it to Wal*Mart shelves. Within a few months, their business EXPLODED and it was all thanks to Wal*Mart's vast customer base. THIS is why companies do business with them!

MOST of the companies that do business with Wal*Mart much be making out well, or else they would stop dealing with them!

I could not care less about Wal*Mart, but we are talking about BUSINESS - and what you are saying is the exception rather than the rule. There are companes that have had their products on Wal*Mart's shelves for decades - and they muct be happy, or else they would pull their products and that would be that.

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry in advance for the rant...

Die Wal-Mart Die! Evil frigging comapny. Would make an excellent James Bond villan. I don't care if their selling top of the line HDTV's for $1.99, I wouldn't buy one from that company. Everybody is entitled to their opinion and politics, and of course to shop where they want to shop, but that company is bad news for America in my opinion.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Brennan Hill????

The post without any supporting facts, well supported anything for that matter, just comes off as silly.

Two or more posters in this thread have done this so far.

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
John,

You are right, making statements like I made without supporting facts is silly. I did so somewhat tongue in cheek. This obviously is not the forum for political debates otherwise I would like nothing better then to enter into a discussion about what I and many others perceive to be the evils of Wal-Mart, which is evident in the spreading initiative by many communities and human rights activists to ban Wal-Marts from their communities.

For those who are in any way interested about the ethics of Wal-Mart and shopping at Wal-Mart, check out this link which offers two opposing view points on this issue from the Markkula Center for Applied Ethics at the University of Santa Clara.

Should We Shop at Wal-Mart?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Brennan Hill, I will check out the link.

Checking out that link.... Shows capitolism to be doing all well and fine. I think I will be more inclined to shop there from this point forward.

And I am a way liberal, lefty by most standards.
Any other links would be welcome too. Good read for sure.

chad k

Stunt Coordinator

The problem is they have to do business with walmart. there is no one else out there that does what they do.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Right. It would be different if there were other retailers out there, like K-Mart or Target or Sears. Then vendors could do business with them and customers could choose to shop there. But since there's only Walmat...

Oh. Wait a second...

Never mind. :)

Regards,

Joe

Kelvin Laffoon

Auditioning
Real Name
Kelvin
There is a good article in the archives of FastCompany magazine's website. It has the pickle story in it. Look for Issue 77. The article is "The Wal-Mart You Don't Know".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks