What's new

New Walmart BRAND of HDTV sets coming (1 Viewer)

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Walmart has stated that intends to produce its own label for a line of HDTVs in an effort to cut prices.
This article states that the sets may be ready for Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving.

Some questions:
Who will actually be the manufacturer of these sets?
How will quality compare to the big brands?
Will Walmart start selling more OAR DVDs to maximize the picture on their widescreen sets?

Rocky F

Second Unit
Interesting development. I can't answer any of your questions with any authority of course, but I would suspect that Sanyo would be the manufacturer. I don't know the details, but I believe that there is some sort of link between Sanyo and Walmart.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Interesting.. Could I be proud of the Walmart Logo as a symbol of quality and reliability? If the price and pq was right, you betcha!!! lol

I wonder what sizes? That could mean a lot on what manufacture is making what models of theirs.

Almost worth an early trip to Walmart, on Black Friday just to sort of check em out.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
The big picture here is making it available to the masses at a relatively cheap price will probably push the need for digital broadcasting to become more of a requirement.

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
This should be interesting...
I am guess it will be a manufacturer like Apex, KLH, Konka or one of those other 'brands' that typically come from one of the same factories...

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Phil, from what I was told Wal-Mart owns Sanyo USA or at least the controling intrest in it but I'm thinking along the lines of RPTV's from Apex :frowning: which Sanyo doesn't make.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Rumor has it that Walmart sometimes goes to long time suppliers with a proposal like this:

"We need x thousand TV sets with such and such specs (or so many cases of bottled pickles to use an actual example) to be delivered so many at a time (time schedule given) and we are willing to pay this much."

Wal Mart's existing anufacturers and suppliers have said they feel under pressure to take these massive orders for fear they may lose their biggest customer, Wal Mart. It was said that some manufactuers could not meet the quantities demanded and had to bow out.

I don't recall whether the pickle manufacturer named accepted the offer and/or put Wal Mart's label on the product. In the case of the TV's, Wal Mart may have included unique specs. such as how many S-video jacks in the rear or how many points of convergence (3x3 is very rudimentary, 10x10 is considered excellent) the service menu provided.

In an unrelated news story, there have been reports of factories (they did not mention TV makers) moving from Mexico to China to achieve lower costs of production.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Walmarts house brand for electronics is Duraband.. im willing to bet that will be the name stamped on the televisions.

JoshuaT

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm... an HD from Wal-Mart??? Socks and Toilet Paper from WM, but NO WAY my TV!!!!

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
i think they will be the brand of the lowest bidder...

and, they will come in a 6-pack. it will be easier to just bundle pack them than control quality. ;)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Don't know kinda like the idea of doing all my shopping at Walmart. Meat and groceries, clothes, DVDs, DVD players and now a cheap RPTV. Depending on what side of the scale you're on, you can buy a t.v. everytime you do shopping. A DRPTV (Disposable Rear Projection T.V.):D

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
Durabrand is also a Chinese manufacturer, correct? I have heard rumours that all of these TVs are pretty much made in the same place, just with different casings... and you must admit, the PQ is VERY similar and the menu's are usually pretty close as well.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Hey you know what? If this gets millions more people a cheap HDTV then cool. More people will be looking into getting Voom, or the HD offerings of DTV/Dish/Cable, expanding their programming. And how bout lowering costs on BR discs when they start to hit shelves? :emoji_thumbsup:

Right now Comcast doesn't even do HD in my area even though I'm 30 miles away from a major city. Whatever it takes to bring HD to the masses!

Jimi C

Screenwriter

Most of the goods walmart sells are imported from china, not just electronics, if they are not made in China there is no way they will be able to sell them at there low prices. Count on them being junk. Walmart accounted for 10% of all goods imported into the U.S. from China last year, over $12 billion.

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
One issue with buying pricier ($500 and up) electronics from WalMart is that they do *not* offer optional extended warranties - I ask every time I'm in there. Can become an issue if you believe in them. I didn't used to, but nowadays TV's seem to crap out within five years (much more complex).

Personally, I wouldn't have an issue with a "WalMart" TV in my house as long as it was a good performer in its price category. But with lack of extended warranty option + knowing that company's notorious reputation for squeezing the life out of its suppliers, thre is no way I would buy one from them.

Rich B.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks