What's new

New to the game. (1 Viewer)

xAdonis

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex Lutz
Hey guys, I am a new poster here and gotta say these forums are very interesting. Anyway, on to business.

I am not an audiophile by any means. The nicest speakers I own are crappy 2.1 Klipsch PC speakers from Best Buy. Haha. Anyway, I have a budget of about $500 for our TV and I was wondering if you guys could help me get something better than a HTIB. I have been looking at the Onyoko systems, and they look pretty promising - but I know you guys can do better for my money. Even if it is a nice 2.1 setup.

Also, I am definitely open to upgrade or add on later.

Thanks in advance.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
what does that $500 need to buy? just speakers? if so, i'd go 3.1 and go for the energy stuff from audioadvisor.com (c100 center and bookshelves) and pair with dayton sub from parts express. or get the sub and bic speakers from parts express. or go 6.0 and pick up 3 pair of the cambridge soundworks model 6 speakers, currently $120/pair.

good luck

xAdonis

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex Lutz
Which Dayton sub would you recommend? I'm looking for a setup that will be good for both Music and Movies.

Also, what should I use to power these babies?

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I'm confused, you say you have $500 for a TV and then start talking about speaker systems.

Let's assume you have $500 to spend on audio. Do you have a receiver? If not, look through Craigslist or other classifieds and get a used Denon, Pioneer, or Onkyo receiver (should be $100 or less). For speakers, look into sub/sat systems (small main speakers + a subwoofer). This will give you the best bang/buck and will outperform a pair of cheap floorstanding speakers. I would spend $300+ on the subwoofer and the remaining $200 on the main speakers. Buying used here can also save a lot of cash. Speakers rarely wear out but can be damaged. Be sure to listen before you buy. Good luck!

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
BTW, those TST speakers look cheap. I was able to buy a set of quality Polk floorstanders for $300 used from Magnolia HiFi when they were liquidating that line. In other words, there are better products at better prices out there.

For $200, you can get a pair of SVS SBS-01 mains and then spend $300 on a good subwoofer (locally, shipping will kill your budget).

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Elemental Designs subs start at $325 shipped. As long as he isn't in IA, then no sales tax either.

-Robert

Rotasol

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Please do not buy those TST speakers.

They are part of the "White Van Scam" speakers.

xAdonis

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex Lutz
Oh, sorry. I was talking about $500 total for a sound system. Just talked to the wife about it, and she thinks we could probably do $1000.

I have been wondering why does buying the system piece by piece sound so much better than say a $1000 HTIB?

Anyway - thanks for the help guys! I apologize for my complete and utter lack of knowledge on the subject of home theater sound systems. Haha.

So, real quick on the subject of Amplifiers - is an AV reciever a waste of money or is that what everyone buys? Would I get better sound buying an audio only amplifier?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A receiver combines a pre-amp section (volume control), source switching, processing and an amp into one convenient package. I'd say 80% of us here use a receiver. Others use a pre-amp processor and a stand alone, multi-channel amp. You can easily spend $1,000 each for those. Get a good receiver as a starting point. Make sure it has the features you need.

-Robert

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

The great thing about AV receivers is that they simplify connections and switching. All of my gear connects to my (non-HDMI) Onkyo receiver via digital audio cable and component video, and the Onkyo sends one set of component cables to the TV. When I switch inputs on the Onkyo, I automatically switch sources for the TV as well. This is why having the right number and type of connectors on the receiver is important to most of us, and why we caution people new to HT to at least carefully research the connections offered by an HTiB before buying.

Separarte amps and power amps, with or without radio tuners, tend to be the province of higher-end systems and serious audiophiles. I find receivers work just fine - in part because I have actually been known to listen to the radio from time to time, so I find that having a built-in AM/FM tuner is a good thing. ;)

Regards,

Joe

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

Maybe because what you posted isn't true? TSC is a legitimate, though somewhat new to the scene, speaker brand; they are part of the D&M group that owns Denon, Marantz, and other AV equipment companies.

They even had a nice article on their website warning against this scam
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
6 Ways to Spot and Avoid White Van Speaker Companies

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

The primary defect with the cheaper HTiB (~< $500) is lack of expandability, not enough inputs and/or the wrong kind of inputs, limiting your abilty to attach newer additional components (Blu-ray/DVR/game systems etc.).

The more expensive HTiB tend to fix this, as they come with real actual receivers. But their speakers usually aren't as good as separate sets, due to price & size constraints.

For a < $1k system I'd suggest looking at the Onkyo 507 or Yamaha 465 as a receiver. Speakers look at bundles (either full 5.1 sets, or get a sub separately & get a 5.0 set) from Klipsch, Energy, TSC, Hsu Research, Elemental Designs

Other companies like SVS are popular here but start to get you a bit out of budget.

xAdonis

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex Lutz
Wow guys, I am so impressed with this forum. You have answered every single one of my questions thoughtfully and completely. You guys not only know what you are talking about - but you are incredibly helpful! Thanks so much for your help!

I really like the Klipsch desktop speakers I currently have. They are pretty cheap-o but I think I am going to try to get a 5.0 System from them, a receiver from Onkyo, and I'm not quite sure which sub I want yet.

I know this is probably a silly question - but I live in Omaha, NE and I have no idea where to go to listen to Home Theater parts individually. Any suggestions?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Big box stores like Best Buy especially if they have a Magnolica Hi-Fi in them. Then start checking the Yellow Pages under audio equipment, stereos, etc.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks