What's new

New to projectors need some advice on them & a screen. (1 Viewer)

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
So the optical audio cable should be sufficient for 5.1? This is where I'm getting confused

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Boots Rojas said:
Jim, was thinking about the new projector & blu ray player
Boots, why don't you sell your receiver or put it in your garage? Then all you need to buy is a Blu-ray player(I recommend Panasonic, and they do a great job upscaling DVD's), and a basic HDMI receiver. You DO NOT need a receiver that upscales anything. Just buy the cheapest receiver(5.1 or 7.1) that has the # of HDMI inputs you need, and features you need. THIS THREAD IS TURNING MY HAIR GRAY !!!!!!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Since my thread "DVDO + BD W/6 channel" was confusing... The DVDO is $450(depending on day, cause you know Amazon spins a Roullette wheel to decide prices every morning). A 6/8 channel BD player is at least $300(unless you buy used). That is $600(at least) you have to buy a new AVR. Lots of choices. Starting with the Onkyo NR717.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
schan1269 said:
Since my thread "DVDO + BD W/6 channel" was confusing... The DVDO is $450(depending on day, cause you know Amazon spins a Roullette wheel to decide prices every morning). A 6/8 channel BD player is at least $300(unless you buy used). That is $600(at least) you have to buy a new AVR. Lots of choices. Starting with the Onkyo NR717.
Sam, now YOU have me confused. :confused: When I asked the OP what he was going to hook up to the receiver, and what needs to be upscaled, he said "new projector and Blu-ray player". That's why I said in post #182 that all he needs to buy is a basic HDMI receiver and Blu-ray player. Why are you recommending a receiver "starting with the Onkyo NR717"?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
He said (paraphrasing)... "What do I need to make my current AVR work in my situation...and do upscaling." He would need to purchase the DVDO and a BD player with 6/8 channel outputs... Those "cost" around $750-ish together. But, if he buys a new AVR instead of "making that one work"...he can buy an $80 BD player...leaving him $550-ish to spend on an AVR(if he wants to spend that much). So, spend $750 making your Elite function in today's world...or spend "less" replacing the AVR.

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
Jim Mcc said:
Okee dokee. The problem is the OP keeps going back and forth. Once he makes up his mind, us "experts" :) can help him.
What have I gone back & forth on? All I did was ask about my receiver, knowing it dont have hdmi. I just wanted to see if it was worth using still? Not sure why I can't go hdmi from directv & blu ray player to projector & optical audio cable for sound?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Boots Rojas said:
What have I gone back & forth on? All I did was ask about my receiver, knowing it dont have hdmi. I just wanted to see if it was worth using still? Not sure why I can't go hdmi from directv & blu ray player to projector & optical audio cable for sound?
I'll re-phrase that to "changing your mind" on. You've changed your mind on, at least once: 1) Which projector, 2) Size of screen, 3) Leave or remove fan, 4) Keep current receiver or buy new one, 5) Budget, 6) Ceiling mount, or on a shelf behind couch. But that's OK. :) In my opinion, you are better off buying a new HDMI receiver(if it's in your budget, of course). But if not, the optical will work for your audio and sound pretty good, but not as good as the lossless HD sound. Did you ever decide anything on 1) Projector, 2) Screen size ?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm so wanting to not reply to this thread again, but my curiousity has the best of me. How in the world did you decide on the Panasonic 100U??? /boggle

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
Sam Posten said:
I'm so wanting to not reply to this thread again, but my curiousity has the best of me. How in the world did you decide on the Panasonic 100U??? /boggle
After reading up on the AR100U & some other projectors including ones mentioned here. It seems it will fit my needs & is within my budget. It gets good reviews from owners as well. Can't wait to get feedback from you on this projector :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
There are so many things I could ask and say, but I'm skipping it. Enjoy it and don't give a damn what I or anyone else thinks about your choice.

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
Oh k, but that's why I registerd & started a thread to get folks opinion on the matter. Obviously you think that my choice is not up to par. I am curious as to why?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
No, has nothing to do with not being up to par. Please don't jump to that conclusion. Your choice came out of left field and has capabilities and limitations that don't match up to everything else you have told us so far. As Jim notes you have wildly changed your mind about a dozen different things so far and you have a strong idea of what you like and want and have a tendency to consider and ignore the advice that has been given here. So please, seriously, you have made your purchase don't let any of the advice I or anyone has given you color your enjoyment of it. I recommend you don't read this thread or any other PJ reviews for the next 2 years. Seriously and respectfully.

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
Haven't bought the projector yet. It seems a lot of people people from avs forum have had great results from the AR100U in situations similar to mine... being an open non dedicated & some ambient light present. The biggest thing for me is to have a place to watch a boxing match, hockey game, motorcycle race etc, as well as a movie. By the why Jim is the one that recommend that I look at this projector. If you can suggest something else I should be looking at. Please let's hear it.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I recommended the Pan. AR100U and a few other projectors, based on certain throw distances and screen sizes at the time. What is your SEATING DISTANCE going to be? I don't feel like going back thru 199 posts to find what you last said. I recall telling you that 130" was too large though. Screen size is based on your seating distance from screen. NOT the size of wall space available. The proper seating distance for a 130" diaagonal screen is about 14' from screen. The AR100U will work with a 130" diagonal screen if you use the right throw distance. i would mount it between 12' 6" and 14' from screen. Any farther back and it will probably be too dim.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks