What's new

New to Forum, Kind of long, but would like opinions. (1 Viewer)

rogue_e5

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Hello to any and everyone. I am new to the Forum and have recently taken more than a casual interest in my entertainment options. I am beggining to finally build a theater in my house and who better to ask than people with experience.
My current set up is a 47" LG/ LED and i have a 7.1 Onkyo surround. I do know that what I have is not top of the line, but I had to start somewhere and I am happy thus far with what I have. However, i will be looking to upgrade.
In regards to the television upgrade, I am looking for nothing less than a 70". I cannot swing a 4k TV so i have been considering going with a plasma over the LED. The reason is that all of the 70" and larger tv's that i can afford are 120hz. From what i gather, that can cause blurring during action sequences and sports. Am i correct or misinformed on this?
I sincerely appreciate any and all advice.
Im sure this question has been the topic of many debates.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
65" is "it" in plasma.

But yes, there is no LCD(LED is the backlight for LCD) that compares to plasma at an equal price.

Otherwise...64" is Samsung and LG goes to 60". Even if you "shot for 80"...a projector is often a better alternative than LCD. There aren't many

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Case in point...the BenQ 1080st(st on a projector means "short throw")

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1080ST-projection-calculator-pro.htm

And 80" image is produced between 4 and 5 feet off the wall. ST projectors aren't as "crisp" as a traditional (like the BenQ W7000) which would require around 10'.

The lumen for the 1080st is 59(upper 50's) and the W7000 is 51 (both in high power) which is sufficient for 75% of rooms during daytime. Turn the projector down at night.

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Welcome Joe

As for any TV right now the 2014s will soon be rolling out

If plasma is your choice & Panasonic is dropping out - The Samsung F8500 & whatever the 2014 models are called, is really the only contend left.
I chose the Samsung PN60F8500 last fall & couldn't be happier! (minor buzz issue)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks