What's new

New receiver/separates or can I make my 3802 keep chugging? (1 Viewer)

Anthony GT

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have a Denon 3802 receiver which I have been happy with for several years. But now that I'm adding various HD components I'm not sure it can handle everything I need it to. I've been researching it on the forum but I'm not 100% clear on all the new HD audio specs so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

Here's what I currently have:
The Denon 3802
An xBox Elite with the HD-DVD add-on. This is connected via component and optical.
A Samsung OTA HD receiver. This is connected via component switcher and optical.
An xBox This is connected via component switcher and optical.
The component switcher connects to the receiver. This takes up the 2 component inputs on the 3802.
A TiVo connected via composite.
Then the video goes out to the pj via component (no HDMI on the receiver or pj).

Now I want to add a Blu-Ray player. I haven't decided if I want to use a stand alone unit or a PS3.

The 3802 obviously doesn't decode True HD and the rest. So the Blu-Ray player will have to do it and I need to get the signal to the receiver. If I want lossless sound I think I need to use HMDI (need a new receiver) or a Blu-Ray player with analogue out to the EXT IN on the receiver. And I'll have another signal going to the component switcher.

Am I anywhere close on this? Thanks!

Tony

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
I use a Sony BDP-S300 with my 3803 and love it. I just use the analog outs as you're thinking and feel the lossless audio is superb. I will be waiting a while to upgrade my receiver and dvd player at the same time for 1/2 the price and all the features.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks