What's new

New MacBook pros updated? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm confused by the similar "laser" series products. The MS wireless for Mac is essentially the MS Laser series 6000, which looks like the top-end bluetooth version, which is $300.

I need to search some more. I'd prefer bluetooth. Wireless, I believe, requires a USB dongle, which means plugging something into the laptop. In which case perhaps I can just as well get a wired keyboard, connect to a hub, and plug the hub into the laptop.

But I need to read the specs more carefully on the Mac-specific line. But that's helpful; I didn't know about it and it is branded and keyed for the Mac, with the apple-splat key and all.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am also looking for the best available portable mouse to
use with my laptop on the road.

Very interested to hear your suggestions, please.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well, I looked at the Express Slot Mogo Mouse and I just
don't get it.

It doesn't look like a mouse. It actually looks like a
flat pad that perhaps moves within itself to act like a mouse.

Unless I read some very positive reviews that this is better
than every mouse I have ever seen, I think I'll be leaning towards
the Logitech V450

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Daryl,

Actually...I am glad you are not recommending it because
it makes my decision to go with the Logitech that much
easier.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

Have you ever seen a Duo Dock? It doesn't sound like these "BookEndz" are even close to being in the same league.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK

Not only have I seen a Duo Dock, I used to use one at the office along with a Duo 280. The "BookEndz" may not be in the same league, but good luck squeezing a MacBook or MacBook Pro into an old Duo Dock. :D I doubt we'll ever see an Apple developed docking station again as they're just such a niche product...wouldn't be worth the R&D.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What I'm understanding, belatedly, is that a dock is almost unnecessary for office use.

With a Bluetooth keyboard & mouse, you need only plug in a monitor and power cord.

External hard-drive, printer, network can all be wireless via Airport Extreme.

If you need other peripherals (iPod, Camera, etc.), a USB hub should do it.

So three plugs: USB hub, monitor, power an you're done. A good dock, of course, would be still easier, but this isn't bad. Now, if only there was a decent bluetooth keyboard & mouse combo for the Mac...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
MBP 17" Review

The only item that concerned me was the suggestion that the older video card is faster than the new one. :confused: Otherwise, it gave me warm-fuzzies about waiting to buy the new hardware.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I wouldn't put too much stock in the review --

It ain't like any other iSight -- it is of significantly higher resolution and has better detail in dark areas. It also has a lot less noise in low light. If you put them side by side, the images are like night and day. I've done it.

Also, video-intensive operations are in the neighborhood of 20% faster. edit: f'rinstance, rendering a RAW file in Aperture.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
MacWorld mini-review of the 17" MBP

I'm perplexed as to how the 17" is faster than the 15" in test scores: same processor, same GPU, same machine except for the larger screen, right?

This review also indicates lesser graphics performance than the previous 2.3 GHz models in some applications. Sounds light Apple's drivers aren't quite mature yet for the nVidia card.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds

The high-res 17" should take some more oomph just to drive it, which could explain some differences.

The review notes that the new machines only perform more poorly than the old machines in Unreal Tournament 2004 -- not in newer games like Quake 4 and Doom 3, where they easily outperform the older machine. Is UT '04 even Universal?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The 2.4 GHz 15" and 17" have the same video card, the 256 MB 8600M. But maybe there are subtle differences that improve the 17" performance.

As for lagging performance, perhaps as you say it's a matter of older games not best suited for newer hardware.

I played a bit of the UT04 demo under BootCamp, and it ran well -- the new MBP's seem quite good for gaming if you don't mind playing slightly older games (which I don't since I've done little in recent years.)

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
How long do MBP batteries usually last? The stock battery I have in my new HP laptop lasts about 90 min to 2 hrs off the charger with the screen at the brightest setting. MY brother said there's batteries you can buy that last 5 hours this way. On some of the reviews, the new MBP batteries are supposed to last 5 to 6 hours but the testers only got around 3 to 4 hours, and they're assuming that Apple got the higher rating for using it at the dimmest setting. Just curious what anyone else's experience has been.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The reviews I saw indicated 2.5 - 3.5 hrs; the Apple claims seem to be based on very aggressive power management.

I've only run off of battery a couple of times, for wireless web browsing, screen at medium. I'd estimate 2-3 hours.

A MacWorld report found just shy of 3 hours during DVD playback.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK

I watched Apocalypto and half an episode of American Experience on my last west coast flight without the battery draining completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks