What's new

New Line, I want the Extended Cut of Golden Compass on Blu-ray!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

With e.g. Warner, both of those DD (BD) and DD+ (HD DVD) tracks were identical 640Kbps (usually, sometimes even lower when Mono-tracks are included). So "DD+" doesn´t always mean that it has a higher bitrate (not that you meant that).

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

The only audio formats that a blu-ray player is required to support, and there for one of them required to be on a blu-ray disc, are Dolby Digital AC-3, DTS, and linear PCM.

DD+ is an option along with Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD. However DD+ in the blu-ray spec is restricted to 1.7 Mbits. It could go as high as 3.0 Mbit with HD DVD.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

However I believe that DD+ is a more efficient codec and there for should, in theory, be a higher quality track at the same bit rate. Dolby claims that it is a 50% improvement at any given bit rate over the original DD codec that it is based on.

Doug

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

But none never did go that high with DD+. Granted, some DD+-tracks were 1.5Mbps, when DD (at Blu-ray) of the same release was "only" 640Kbps.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
There's a lot to keep up with here, you know. :P Thanks for the answer though.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I'm not particularly an HD DVD fan, however I do highly respect Dolby as an innovator in high quality audio. I'll take them at their word that it is more efficient.

Doug

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

My quotes were from Dolby (Roger Dressler/Dolby Laboratories)...

I´ll try to contact Dolby at some point, IF I have enough energy etc.. That´s a big "if"..

But look, I have no desire to start any DD vs DD+ debate here, the "war" is over and all that anyway. I have said it many times before, but in the end, people usually believe what they want to believe and the truth is "out there".

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor

They're inconsistent about it, but their other New Line titles (Shoot 'Em Up, Rendition, Hairspray) are all Region B, so I'm guessing this will be too. They're also inconsistent about doing proper 1080p24 transfers.

Gabriel>P

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't expect to much of an extended cut. Most of the footage that was cut was the finale of the film, which is being saved for the possible sequel. Personally think it was the worst decision in history and they even changed key moments around in the film to suit this change.

What is sad is how much they cut from the book and script and just never filmed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks