What's new

New HT Setup Advice needed (1 Viewer)

Mitch_M

Auditioning
Just recently got interested in a nice HT Setup. Here's what I HAD:

Hitachi 60V500 RP LCD
Pioneer DV-353 DVD
Sony STK-K840P Receiver w/satellite speaker + sub that came with it.

Now I'm in an appartment building where the neighbours hear me sneeze so I can't really go big on audio but I definately want the best image my TV can give me. I want to keep the TV cause I heard it's one of the best RP HDTVs on the market right now (true??). I got rid of the Pioneer DVD and ordered a Denon 3910 which should arrive any day now. Also ordered a Monster DVI cable to hook it up to my TV and an Expressvu 6000 HDTV receiver. Any recommendations?

I was thinking of losing the Sony receiver and getting the Denon AVR-3805. Now I know this receiver is not made for my sony sat speakers but will I still notice a nice difference? If so can I hook up the Denon DVD3910 to my TV in DVI and STILL hook up the audio to the Denon AVR3805 in Denon-link?? I read somewhere here that if one was to use Denon-link, that component had to be used rather than DVI (why??).

The main reason for which I want to change receivers is that my Sony only has 1 optical-in and I wanted to hook up both my HDTV receiver AND my DVD player in digital-audio. Is Denon-link really superior to optical or should I just go with any receiver that has 2 optical-in (Yamaha, HK?)given the speakers that I have?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
Mitch I think you posted nt he wrong forum. get a mod to more it for you. I will try and give you some advice any way.

First off let me tell you that I don't have any experience with your particular gear so I can't give you specific advice regarding the gear you have.

As far as the video side goes it looks like you are doing pretty well. The only other thing I could recommend is to get your tv ISF calibrated if it has not already.

Sound wise I would probably wager that you would realise more of an improvement with better speakers over a better receiver. Small satellites, especially cheap HTIB ones are generally pretty crap. In other words, that is probably the weakest link, any benefit you gained by getting the 3805 might be over shadowed by the poor speakers. either way you probably won't be happy until you upgrade both. Maybe see if you can demo the 3805 in home before purchase.

Regarding the Denon link, I don't know if it can be used with DVI or not. I am also willing to bet there will be no difference between it and an optical connection. It's like asking it optical or coax is better, it is just a matter of preference. The only benefit of the D-link, afaik, is that you can output a hi-res audio signal to the receiver instead of having to use an analog connection. Don't quote me on that though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks