What's new

New HT Construction (1 Viewer)

Scott A. Pope

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys.

Nick... I actually have a lot of room to expand my DVD collection. CD's might be an issue though, I underestimated the CD storage I believe.

Parker... I will check out the SVS subs. I have a few buddies that insist the Sunfire subs are more precise... anyone care to expand on this? I have heard niether so I have nothing to offer.

Jim... thanks man, I am very happy with the two rooms, the wife and I are really enjoying the results so far.

Thanks to everyone for all of the encouragement along the way, it has really made a difference!

:emoji_thumbsup:

Nick P

Second Unit
Scott - you might want to spend a little time in the subwoofer section. Maybe you can find more opinions there.

I think any SVS owner and/or objective sub reviewer would dismiss that claim in a heartbeat.

Foster Gullett

Auditioning
Scott,
I just wanted to say congratulations on completing your theater. The time you took to plan it out definitely shows through in the quality of the finished product. It is a stunning room. I commend you on your achievement and I wish you only many happy years with your home theater.

Thanks.

-Foster

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Scott, I love how the theater turned out. It is absolutely beautfiul. The color scheme is really nice. The darker burgandy is really the way to go. The brighter red looked like something out of the Overlook Hotel.

I also love the media room. Overall, an wonderful design, and certainly gives me some ideas when I finally get a chance to build my own.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Scott:

Also, there are some pictures of members that have pictures of their SV Subs in their theaters in the galleries. Like Nick said cruise thru the speakers section of the forum and read all the posts by members that have picked up their SV subs. In your HT they would really shine.

Parker

Scott A. Pope

Stunt Coordinator
Foster and Nate... many thanks for the kind words.

Parker and friends... I will more than likely not be popular for this, but here it goes...

My friends, I have the coolest toy currently resting in my HT at this very moment...

http://pic8.picturetrail.com/VOL242/...6/62811087.jpg

OMG is this thing wicked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bob Carver's very own Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature Series 13" cubed with dual 12" subs and 2700 watt Tracking Downconverter. What fantastic technology!!!!

From the time you unpack this baby you are very impressed. A box, inside of a box contains a soft felt drawstring sack which cradles the sub. When you heave the beast out and set it down you are awstruck by the pristine fit/finish, it's like a work of art. As I dreaded the set up process I opened the manual and was delited to read that the entire set up process is as follows:

1. connect low level cable
2. set knobs to 0 db and bypass
3. connect included microphone (and a damn nice microphone at that) and place in primary seating position
4. press stanby button
5. press start button
6. quietly wait for sweeping test tones to finish cycling
7. disconnect microphone and enjoy

Holy cow! That's it?! You gotta be kidding me!

Nope, not kidding. I chunked Star Wars, Episode II in the new Integra and sat back in amazement... this little fella can throw a party! A space ship blasts by the screen in full 7.1 Dolby EX splendor (a whole 'nother story) the hairs on my butt started dancing and my wife came flying into the room, "what was that explosion!?"

In a word... SOLD.

It came, it rocked, it scared the wife. I love it and it must stay, at least for a week or two. It's here from my HT guys on a test drive.

More to come...

Nick P

Second Unit
Scott,

Is the size of the Sunfire important to you? If so then you probably have made a good choice. What's the retail on it, 2000.00-2300.00? For that price you could have two SVS CS-Ultras powered by a Samson 1000 amp and I'm fairly certain that setup will blow away the little 13" cube to the same degree the cube is currently impressing you now.

Scott A. Pope

Stunt Coordinator
Nick,

Many people agree with you on that appraisal. I am in my famous research mode now and would like to compare the SVS products to the Sunfire. No other manufacturer is really in the hunt at this time.

The size of the Sunfire is very appealing, but not critical. What's most important to me is that the sub be able to transition between music and movies with grace and style. I prefer tight, controlled bass to sloppy, muddy, boomy bass that lingers on. The Sunfire is fulfilling my requirements so far, although I have a lot more to throw at it yet.

SVS is obviously a top notch product line. The testemonials are enough to make me dial the number and order! I'm not sure I want to get back into the dual sub game though, I have had rough rides in the past with sub calibrations when two are involved, bass cancelation and dead spots, etc. One SVS might be the way to go...? Of course, then there is the symetrical side of me that wants to see one on each side of the room... sheesh, can I ever be satisfied? Well, the answer is, of course not!

I'll have fun figuring this out.

Nick P

Second Unit
Might be... for your size room I'd look into the PB2-Plus, PB2-Ultra or really drop the bomb and go for the B4-Plus which would likely make the 13 inch cube sound like a HIB bass module.

You've gone all out with your project so far, there's no need to settle for something less at this point.

Christo Ramo

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,
I have been away for a little while (since the 2nd page of this post) and all I can say is WOW! Did you design that whole theater yourself? It is absolutley amazing. I love the wood working and the layout.
I just got off my butt this weekend and sanded my walls and primed them yesterday. Sanding is the worst part of the whole project, I am glad it is over.

Keep up the good work!

Scott A. Pope

Stunt Coordinator

Nick, surely you're not saying that Bob Carver's Sunfire Signature Series would be settling...?

Christo... thanks man, I appreciate the comments. Yes, it is my design and i am glad you like it. I am thrilled with it to say the least!

Tom... thanks, I really appreciate the congrats!

I received my Atlanta Thrasher panel for my Skybox drink vendor today, looks great. My pic host is down, will post later.

Also, I got the following DVD-A's today:

1. Steve Stevens - Flamenco A Go Go
2. The Gluey Brothers - Stiff For The Elders
3. Studio Voodoo
4. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed

I think I'll go give them a spin now!

Demetrius

Agent
Scott,

I am excited about all this for you and just realized in just a few months I will be installing the equipment in the MGMFT (Meredith George Memorial Family Theatre). I won't be able to sleep for a while!

Thanks,
Demetrius

Nick P

Second Unit
Compared to the Twin CS-Ultras, PB2-Ultra and B4-Plus, yeah...I would. But then again I'm one of the converted. :)

I don't mean to beat you up over this so please don't take it the wrong way. I just want to see you get the sub your awesome theater deserves!:emoji_thumbsup:

Scott A. Pope

Stunt Coordinator
I understand, no harm done. For now I'm still having fun playing with the Sunfire. We'll just go from there.

Not sure which disc I just listened to was more bizarre... Studio Voodoo or the Gluey Brothers...? Both good but way out there. The percussion in SV was very entertaining, I'll give it that.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Scott:

What I would do is give the guys at SVS a call and give them the link to your HT. Tell them the size of room that you have and they can recommend the best sub for your room. I would definitely go with a box sub that is powered in the room that you have. One is all the you will need for sure. (Unless you just want to have two of them :)).

I would recommend the PB2+. It will exceed all your expectations in a sub for music as well as HT without any doubt and save you money ta boot. At 140 lbs. you will need to have a little help getting it into your theater.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks