New Hometheater.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Francis_M, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Francis_M

Francis_M Auditioning

Hello all,

I am new to the home theater arena. I am building a new home which is in framing. We are quickly approaching the electrical wiring phase. I am planning a home theater with a DLP projector. I am wondering from those that have "been there, done that mistake" club, what type of wires should I run?

I want to run at least four BNCs, two Cat5e cables, one VGA cable, from the projector to the stereo rack (plus of course, elecricity). From the rack, I want to run speaker wires to: front, two side channels, two rear and one sub channel. Is there any other wires I should run?

2. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Francis. Welcome to HTF. [​IMG]

I question the Cat5 wires from projector to equipment rack. What are those for?

I might suggest you add in a SVideo cable in case you have a source that only offers SVideo.

Speaker Wires: Run an extra speaker wire to the rear for a rear-center (Dolby EX).

Use ordinary RG6 coax for the subwoofer cable.

You might want to plan on a telephone wire to run to your rack. Some of the CATV/Sat box's want a telephone connection.

I am going to move your thread to the "HT Interiors" fourm where others who have made dedicated rooms hang out. You might also want to check out the Display Devices where a lot of people with projectors would be happy to share good/bad ideas with you.

Good Luck.