What's new

New equipment (1 Viewer)

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Just bought a new 60" 4K TV. Been out of the mix for about 20 years. My old Toshiba rear projection gave up the ghost. I have a Marantz 7300 (love Marantz) and an Oppo BDP 93 ( I have a lot of DVD Audio and SACD discs). I'm thinking of going all in again and was wondering about the new Dolby Atmos and DTS:X (not even sure DTS:X is even out there yet). Obviously I'm going to need a new receiver, but what about my Oppo? Does it too need replacement? And whats the deal with new "Atmos" speakers. Right now I have 6 and the sub because the old Marantz does DTS-ES. Any suggestions? Would like to stay with Marantz.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
The latest Marantz, 7900 has all the options you need that include 9.2 or 7.1.2 for Dolby Atmos. I am not sure on what the deal is with DTS.X but you may need to add set of speakers for 7.1 or for Dolby Atmos.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
In looking at the manual for your player, it appears that the highest format it supports is DTS or Dolby True HD 7.1. If it did Dolby Atmos, it would state it.

Salacious Ackbar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Josh
I believe you have to bitstream Dolby Atmos or DTS: X. No player decodes those two formats, so your receiver has to decode those audio tracks. Your Oppo is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks