What's new

New Denon DVD Players (1 Viewer)

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
FYI, Denon just updated their web site with info on their new DVD players. They posted a manual for the 9000 and put up a final spec sheet for the 3800 and 1600. I'm not positive but the 1600 looks like a rebranded Panasonic but I can't tell which one from the specs. Anyone care to guess?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
Wow- that 9000 looks like the Holy Grail of DVD players- is its price going within any sense of reason?

Andrew

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
WOW...those new players look and sound (spec-wise) very impressive!
is its price going within any sense of reason?
Um, the answer to that (as far as I'm concerned) is no. Check the fine print...the SRP on the 9000 is $3500! That's WAY outta this guy's budget. It's fun to dream though...

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I doubt it's a rebadged Panny RP-56, since the Denon 1600 also includes DVD-A with bass management. It appears more likely to be an updated RP-91 with bass management. If I were to pick up one these players, it would have to be the 1600, since the others are pretty much out of my price range. BTW, I hear the DVD-9000 will also be SACD compatible as well (The official Denon site specs on this one aren't yet finalized). It's amazing that the DVD-9000 nearly weighs forty-pounds!

Reg

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Reggie,

The 1600 is a reworked RP-56. It's no major task to add DVD-A to the RP-56.

Denon has said (in another forum) that the RP-56 is the basis for the DV-1600.

Regards,

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks John,

I stand corrected. However, can you please explain to us why Denon continually uses Panasonic designs for their DVD players? Is Denon incapable of making a DVD player with its own firmware or identity? I'm curious, because they appear to be leaders when it comes to receivers, but their DVD players have so far been someone elses!

Reg

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
ReggieW,

Denon does design it's own DVD players. Just take a closer look at the hi end 3800 and 9000, they are unique designs. However, at the low end it's probably not profitable to build something completely original since that side of the market is more price sensitive. That's my theory anyway.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I agree Ron. I do notice that their two flagship models (3800 & 9000) do appear to have their own identity. Your theory does make sense.

Reg

David Susilo

Screenwriter
What's so surprising in one company rebadging another comapny's unit?

Yamaha DVD510 and 520 are rebadged Philips. Their mid-end player used to be rebadged Panasonic.

Even esoteric players such as Theta is rebadged Pioneer (including the chroma bug too).

Marantz DVD changer is a rebadged Pioneer.

and the list goes on

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Ron hit the nail on the head. At the entry level price points, there is little to no point in "rolling your own" solution.
As you escalate in price, the opportunity and ability to do so is
David -- quite a number of higher end players are based on OEM versions of players. Theta and Ayre start as Pioneer OEM units, but they are highly modified.
The Camelot Roundtable is based on a Panasonic player, as are the EAD players.
Very few high-end companies have the financial and human resources to develop their own DVD players from the ground up.
Regards,

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks John!

It may just be cheaper to pick-up the next generation DVD-A player coming from Panasonic. I'm sure you will spend a little more money on the 1600 because of the Denon name, whereas a Panny RP-56 with DVD-A would probably have a msrp $200.00 lower than the Denon's.

Reg

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure you will spend a little more money on the 1600 because of the Denon name, whereas a Panny RP-56 with DVD-A would probably have a msrp $200.00 lower than the Denon's.
Reggie, I definitely agree with you here. I would prefer the upcoming Panasonic RP82 ($279), which has both Faroudja deinterlacing and DVD-Audio, over the Denon 1600. However, the 1600's list price is less than the RP91, which also has a comparable feature set. Athough you could find the RP91 cheaper online.
I am most interested in 3800. It improves significantly over the old Denon 2800, which is a great player (if you've got one still that works :frowning: ). It's got great deinterlacing engine, very quick navigation, fast layer changes, DVD-Audio w/digital bass management, high quality DACs, no chroma bug and excellent build quality. If it performs as good as it's spec sheet I think Denon will have another winner. It looks like a excellent value at it's price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks