New Army of Darkness dvd info!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christina_DQ, Oct 17, 2001.

1. Christina_DQ

Christina_DQ Stunt Coordinator

Found this over at dvdreview.com.
    Well this new Director's Cut release sounds like the same disc as the L.E.,only it will also have the features at where only on the theatrical version...documentary ect.
    But it also said it would have 5.1 sound!!
    So i was wondering if at all...could this be a remastered better quality edition than the previous one or still the same old muddy transfer? Maybe they went and added all the additional scenes into the theatrical print,so that the movie looks better, for the most part,while the deletted footage still has rough quality?
    + the original DC release was in 2.0 only since the materials used,wheren't in great shape ect,which is why i had the above idea^ since a 5.1 track is supposed to be included. I hope we have word on this for sure,otherwise i'll just pass if it's the same old transfer.
    The release is in November sometime.

2. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I own the Limited Director's cut and the regular old Anchor Bay Special Edition. Owning a third copy of this movie makes me pause and reflect for a moment. However, if I hear a lot of good things about it here, especially a comparison to the LE DC, then I will buy it.
    Thanks for the update though! I love this movie way too much.
    ------------------
    "I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
    My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
    My List O' DVDs:
    http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=meshuga

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

hmmm...
    Universal DVD
    2 Disc AOD:LE
    1 Disc AOD[​IMG]C
    Theatrical THX AOD
    Bootleg DC
    ... theis must be some sort of record... 5 different releases for one film. I personally have the THX and DC discs and I am sticking with them... hopefully [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
    The DVD Insider Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

4. Jim Bivins

Jim Bivins Stunt Coordinator

I e-mailed dvdangle.com (whom also ran this story) about the possibility of a cleand-up version (of the DC) and he stated that those were the best materials available, also that a full restoration would be necessary to fix it, though that is of course unlikely due to costs.
    I don't know what his sources are, but it makes sense.
    Jim
    [​IMG]

5. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

quote:
    -------------
    hmmm...
    Universal DVD
    2 Disc AOD:LE
    1 Disc AOD[​IMG]C
    Theatrical THX AOD
    Bootleg DC
    --------------
    er...add to that the Universal WS LD
    and the Japanese DC LD aka "Captain Supermarket"...
    and that doesnt include the tape versions!
    ------------------

6. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    Talk about the law of diminishing returns. How many times are people going to keep buying this movie? I have the original widescreen LD (signed by Bruce Campbell!) and the 2 disc set Anchor Bay released 2 years ago. I'm done buying this movie.
    Neil
    ------------------
    "Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

7. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

8. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

9. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

Give me new features and I'll buy it.
    ------------------

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Probably the most amusing part of this whole debate is that while no one wants to finance a sequel since there is "not enough interest", I don't think that a non-PD title has ever received more separate releases on DVD!
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

11. Mathias Klemme

Mathias Klemme Stunt Coordinator

MGM, who owns the international rights, is restoring the DC as we speak (and no, they're not using Bruce Campbell's tapes like AB did, but real film elements). It's not on their release slate yet, but why go through all the trouble and not release it sooner or later. That's doesn't help you guys in Region 1 though, where Univeral still holds the rights.
    Mathias

12. Niko Nykanen

Niko Nykanen Stunt Coordinator

Will the New version include the audiocommentary that is present on the disc released a year ago!?!?
    Does anyone know?!
    In that case, i´ll sell mine now and buy the new one later.
    [​IMG]

13. Richard_Huntington

Richard_Huntington Stunt Coordinator

14. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

I have no plans of picking up this disc either way as I'm happy with the theatrical and directors cut discs I already own. My question is about the release date. I've heard a number of dates including 10/23 and 11/30. The thing is Canadian etailer CNL - http://www.cnl.com
    DVDPlanet and every other site I've seen lists it as 11/30. Is it possible that Canada is getting something early for once. I'd doubt the date if there were no copies in stock but CNL's stock listing is always accurate.

15. Mathias Klemme

Mathias Klemme Stunt Coordinator

Richard -
    I was taking part in a discussion about AOD over at www.mhvf.net and a guy from MGM emailed me and told me that it was in the works. Might be a while until it comes out. They allegedly have everything together but a small part with the "little Ashes" which they're still looking for.
    I can't wait either!
    Mathias

16. Richard_Huntington

Richard_Huntington Stunt Coordinator

Wow. That is amazing news. Thank you so very much! My Nephew is going to have a premature heart attack when I tell them this! He has one of those modified region free players, so it it comes out somewhere else, he'll be sitting pretty. I'll have to get a region free player too if MGM releases it in another region.
    I hope whoever emailed you is not yanking your chain! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "My wife actually prefers widescreen"

17. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

OK. I don't get it. I have no version of AoD on DVD. I am looking to get one. When I say ONE, I mean ONE!
    So which is the one to get?
    THe Bootleg edition is obviously going to be the most available one.
    I've seen every other edition on ebay.
    There is some limited edition 2-disc edition(4,000 copies) which are going for over $100 on ebay. What are those?
    There's the 2-disc LE Director's Cut with Ash with his arms raised on the front.
    THere's the Scremaing AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH Ash one. Which one is that?
    Then I see this bare-bones one with the standard movie poster on the front at the store. So which is the good one?
    IS there another version coming? Is it better? I'm SOOOO CONFUSED!

18. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

It's odd that there's no mention of this title on Anchor Bay's very informative site. I have this funny feeling that the bootleg: DC is going to be a simple re-pressing of the limited DC.
    Adam... The barebones (and non-anamorphic) version with the theatrical poster as the cover should probably be avoided. The 2 disc LE should also be avoided due to the price in the second-hand marhet. The remaining two are single disc versions of the 2 discs in the LE... Absolutely no differences apart from packaging. The one with Ash with his arms up in the air is the DC which is a longer version with some cool supplements, but the transfer is pretty crappy. The "Ash Screaming" cover is the THX anamorphic 5.1 DD theatrical cut. Take your pick. (can't comment on the bootleg since no one really seems to know what it is).
    [Edited last by Jack Harasta on October 27, 2001 at 08:58 PM]

19. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

20. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

Exactly. It's just a different cover. Fans who are screaming "How many times do I have to buy this!" should calm down a little. It's Anchor Bay's licensed property (for the moment, at least) and it's their option to maximize their investment as much as they need to. It's the same 'Director's Cut' release as seen previously on the two disc set, so there's no need for fans to feel compelled to buy it again if they already have it. (I'd actually smile if a few did, however, since it would give Anchor Bay more bucks to spend on sleazy Euro titles like EMANUELLE IN AMERICA).
    Very curious to hear of MGM putting up their hand for a future restoration. Isn't ARMY OF DARKNESS a Universal title? Still, with each respective studio's treatment of genre titles at the moment, AOD would probably be in better hands with MGM than Universal...