What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

New 2-Disc Region 1 NTSC DVD of "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre" (1974) in the works! (1 Viewer)

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

Joe:

Read this thread at Mobius for some comments from Don May (the owner of Synapse Films and the man who actually did both the film restoration as well as the new D5 High-Defintion transfer of THE TEXAS CHAIN-SAW MASSACE- Blue Underground DID NOT do this work- they're apparently supplying extras, but have nothing to do with the film restoration/transfer itself, that's all Don May's hard work) re: the new CHAINSAW transfer:

http://s8.invisionfree.com/MHVF/inde...showtopic=1188

Basically, the jist is, if anything, this new disc will have MORE grain than the old one, since the old one had a heavy amount of automatic mid-1990s DVNR applied since it was prepared for laserdisc release way-back-then. The "clean up" that was done on the new D5 High-Definition transfer was done to remove dirt and debris that had accumulated on the film over the years due to poor storage conditions, but original film grain was NOT removed. Basically, this new version of THE TEXAS CHAIN-SAW MASSACRE will accurately reflect how the film is SUPPOSED to look. It has not been "cleaned up" beyond recognition of it's hard-core/low-budget 16mm origins, just of the ravages of age and bad storage of the original film elements.

Vincent

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
Jeffrey, there is no release date at the moment, but if I had to guess I'd say sometime in October. They're probably going to want to release it very close to Halloween for marketing purposes. Both Pioneer TCM DVDs were released in October (October 6, 1998 and October 14, 2003). That's just my guess though. It would be nice if we could get it earlier than that, say in the summer. :)

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
It seems like we should be hearing an announcement on this title pretty soon. If it is indeed going to be released in October (which I believe it will) then MPI Home Video would probably announce it in July or early August at the latest. Don't you think? This is my most anticipated DVD of 2005. The wait is killing me.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor

Even more than I would like to own a restored, anamorphic version of this on DVD, I would much rather it be released on Blu-Ray right now! I'd pay $100 for an HD version of it!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Looks like Henry is coming out Sept 27, from amazon.ca:

-----------------

On the DVD
Feature-length commentary by John McNaughton
Deleted scenes and outtakes with commentary by John McNaughton
"Portrait: The Making of Henry" all-new 52-minute documentary by David Gregory feature "Henry" cast and crew interviews
30 minute documentary on Henry Lee Lucas
Still gallery and storyboards
Reversible double-sided cover art featuring banned artwork by renowned artist Joe Coleman
---------------------

Still haven't seen anything on Texas though.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Sorry!! This is the only thread I remmeber seeing any news on Henery and TExas being re-released in better quality editions, hence Iposted the Henry news. I too would love, love LOVE a new TCM, I'm hoping that with the Henry rumor being confirmed, that the TCM will materialize as well.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
Well, VERY disappointing news (would there be any other?) today regarding the new TCM DVD. I e-mailed MPI Home Video asking them why we still haven't heard an announcement on this title and if it was still on schedule for Fall 2005. I also mentioned that I have been watching both sites (MPI Home Video and Dark Sky Films) and that neither site has any information on this title. Here is the reply I got.

Damn! :angry: Now I'm stuck with that Pioneer disc and its shitty transfer for a whole 'nother fricken year. Here's a question. Why do they have to release this right in time for Halloween? If it's not ready for this Fall, why not release it this Winter or Spring 2006? Why do some studios think that horror film DVDs can only be released in August, September, and October? I don't want to wait another year. My most anticipated DVD for 2005....damn.

Now that I think about it I'm almost certain the same thing will happen with the Divimax releases of Halloween 4 and 5, as well as the Halloween 1-8 Documentary DVD. You'll notice that these three discs are not mentioned anywhere on Anchor Bay's site. If they were going to be released this Fall, wouldn't we have heard some sort of announcement by now?

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Is there anything new on this? Any confirmation on a Fall 2006 release?

I'm in the process of converting some laserdiscs to DVD and, for TCM, I'm thinking of going the extra mile by sync-ing the audio from the DVD with the video from the laserdisc, and transferring any exclusive bonus material as well. I'll probably end up transfering all the interesting bonus stuff as well to create my own SE.

But before I go thru all of that I thought I should at least ask....

-paul
(why did i think the LD had a docu on it? Kinda disappointed now that i see it doesnt)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Paul, don't expect anything for the next 6-9 months...

Hopefully we'll get an official statement before than.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
This has been airing on Voom's HD Monster channel, and I have it saved on my DVR. The quality blows away the current DVD. If the DVD looks anything like the HD transfer, we're in for a treat.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
From DavisDVD

I sure am glad that all of the extras on the Pioneer disc are being carried over to this new two-disc set. Now I won't have to hold onto that Pioneer disc with its crappy non-anamorphic transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks