What's new

Need ideas for wireless HT setup (1 Viewer)

jozo

Grip
Real Name
john
Hello & glad to be aboard. Checked out a few posts and know I will get good advice here.

I desperately need to upgrade the home theater in my man-cave. System in place now is ancient. I installed some speakers & wires around the room when we finished the basement, but really want to go wireless.

Some details:

The listening area is on the small side; around 12'x12'. I don't want anything loud or powerful, just some quality sound, especially from the rear speakers.

TV is a 2011 Panasonic 42" Viera 720 Plasma, Main seating area is around 11' away.

Have cable box, DVD recorder, may want to add a Blue Ray & incorporate that (do they make Blue Ray/DVD players that allow for DVD recording???) The last cable guy that was here was a former home theater installer and really knowledgeable (Time Warner). He said there was some kind of "optical" hook up on the box to use ???

Anyway, I suppose I need a bluetooth system; soundbar, rear speakers and subwoofer with a modest receiver, again, nothing fancy or loud, my budget is pretty low.

Problem so far is that I'm running into some real poor salespeople; they know absolutely nothing. I gave up when I drove to Micro Center, where we always get great advice, and the guy there was clueless.

I know there are good deals now, but I really won't have the time or budget to purchase until a month or so after the holidays. Definitely don't mind getting something that is a close-out, as I just want the basics.

Really appreciate the expertise of posters out there.

Thanks in advance and happy holidays!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Wireless home theatre starts in the thousands of dollars.

Unless you meant a $500 HTiB with "wireless rear module"(which you see all over eBay).

Wireless still plugs into the wall.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Welcome to the forum John.

What's your budget for this project?

jozo said:
Anyway, I suppose I need a bluetooth system; soundbar, rear speakers and subwoofer with a modest receiver, again, nothing fancy or loud, my budget is pretty low.

You don't use a soundbar with an AVR as they already have the amp ect built in. So are you looking for a soundbar or an AVR and speakers? This is be greatly determined by your budget. If you're looking for a 5.1 soundbar with wireless rear speakers then I think your options become clearer. Something like this Vizio setup for $220 comes to mind. Now you should realize that this setup will be very limited in growth potential and flexibility moving forward.

jozo

Grip
Real Name
john
ArmSC said:

You don't use a soundbar with an AVR as they already have the amp ect built in. So are you looking for a soundbar or an AVR and speakers? This is be greatly determined by your budget. If you're looking for a 5.1 soundbar with wireless rear speakers then I think your options become clearer. Something like this Vizio setup for $220 comes to mind. Now you should realize that this setup will be very limited in growth potential and flexibility moving forward.
Tony: I was hoping to stay under $500, closer to $300 if possible.

I did not know that the soundbar has the amp built in, but as indicated, I am a newbie. I did put some wires around the room when before the drywall went up, but really want to go wireless, as we are thinking of moving.

The Vizio setup you recommended may be what I am looking for. A couple of questions; will this work with my DVD, Blue Ray and cable??

Also, what do you mean that my growth potential and flexibility will be limited??

Thanks very much for your help so far.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
February/March is probably the best time to buy a receiver (that's when retailers are unloading their floor models and existing inventory to make room for the new ones coming in March/April), but it will still bust your budget when you start to add speakers. You should be able to pick up an entry-level receiver from Yamaha, Denon, or Onkyo for under $250. Don't be afraid of buying a floor model at Best Buy, unless it's from the Magnolia sound room, because the receivers out on the main floor are for display purposes only, and are rarely, if ever, used. Just make sure it has all of the accessories (remote, calibration mic, etc.) and hasn't been abused by shoppers.

You mentioned you already had speakers, but did not mention what you have. This would be helpful to know.

As for a Blu-ray player, if I were you, I would keep an eye open for good deals (although you may have missed out, as there were some pretty decent players selling for under $60 on Black Friday). Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, LG (in that order) would be the brands to look for. Make sure it has built-in Wifi, though.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
You don't use a soundbar with an AVR as they already have the amp ect built in.

There are some passive soundbars out there (which would require an amp); but I agree, they're definitely not the norm. Most soundbars connect directly to the source device.

jozo

Grip
Real Name
john
Todd Erwin said:
February/March is probably the best time to buy a receiver (that's when retailers are unloading their floor models and existing inventory to make room for the new ones coming in March/April), but it will still bust your budget when you start to add speakers. You should be able to pick up an entry-level receiver from Yamaha, Denon, or Onkyo for under $250. Don't be afraid of buying a floor model at Best Buy, unless it's from the Magnolia sound room, because the receivers out on the main floor are for display purposes only, and are rarely, if ever, used. Just make sure it has all of the accessories (remote, calibration mic, etc.) and hasn't been abused by shoppers.

You mentioned you already had speakers, but did not mention what you have. This would be helpful to know.

As for a Blu-ray player, if I were you, I would keep an eye open for good deals (although you may have missed out, as there were some pretty decent players selling for under $60 on Black Friday). Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, LG (in that order) would be the brands to look for. Make sure it has built-in Wifi, though
From what I am reading, if I buy an outfit like the Vizio that Tony recommended, I won't need a receiver.

Looking at that Vizio setup, it looks great for my humble purposes (I'm not into a lot of bells and whistles and the wife doesn't like the noise; loud enough during the game anyway!), I noticed that the subwoofer is attached to the satellite speakers with a cable. Are their kits out there where the subwoofer AND rear satellite spears are all wireless???

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I did not know that the soundbar has the amp built in, but as indicated, I am a newbie. I did put some wires around the room when before the drywall went up, but really want to go wireless, as we are thinking of moving.

Yes most soundbars have a builtin amplifier and some kind of processing unit in them.

The Vizio setup you recommended may be what I am looking for. A couple of questions; will this work with my DVD, Blue Ray and cable??

Yes it should work fine with those items depending on how you set it up. Most of the time you're going to run all your sources into your TV and use the optical audio output to feed the soundbar. Whatever is showing on the TV shows on the soundbar. As long as your TV has the inputs that you need you should be good.

Also, what do you mean that my growth potential and flexibility will be limited??

What I mean is that a soundbar system is a sealed system. You can't upgrade the speakers, amplifier or add inputs. What you see is what you get. With a traditional AVR and speakers you can upgrade speakers, move them to different locations, upgrade the AVR to one with new features ect. If the sub dies on the soundbar you have to get a whole new soundbar. If the sub dies with a AVR setup you just get a new sub. You can change the components of the system vs being stuck with it as it. Another example say you move into a bigger house and the small sub that comes with the bar is not strong enough...sorry you're stuck with it.

I hope this makes sense. Feel free to ask questions that you might have. I'm not trying to totally bag on soundbars they just have a lot of limitations and IMO are more suited to a bedroom or other space that isn't your main entertainment area.

jozo

Grip
Real Name
john
ArmSC said:

Yes most soundbars have a builtin amplifier and some kind of processing unit in them.

Yes it should work fine with those items depending on how you set it up. Most of the time you're going to run all your sources into your TV and use the optical audio output to feed the soundbar. Whatever is showing on the TV shows on the soundbar. As long as your TV has the inputs that you need you should be good.

What I mean is that a soundbar system is a sealed system. You can't upgrade the speakers, amplifier or add inputs. What you see is what you get. With a traditional AVR and speakers you can upgrade speakers, move them to different locations, upgrade the AVR to one with new features ect. If the sub dies on the soundbar you have to get a whole new soundbar. If the sub dies with a AVR setup you just get a new sub. You can change the components of the system vs being stuck with it as it. Another example say you move into a bigger house and the small sub that comes with the bar is not strong enough...sorry you're stuck with it.

I hope this makes sense. Feel free to ask questions that you might have. I'm not trying to totally bag on soundbars they just have a lot of limitations and IMO are more suited to a bedroom or other space that isn't your main entertainment area.
Thanks, this makes a lot of sense and you explained it well.

Is there an AVR system with wireless speakers that would work for my situation?? Something on par with the Vizio recommended earlier?

Thanks again.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
With a $300-500 budget anything wireless will be difficult. An AVR will cost $200-300 for one that has bluetooth and a wireless rear kit will be another $100-150. Without even starting to get speakers you're already spending quite a bit and you'll still have wires. Most wireless system will still require you to wire from the wireless receiver unit to the speakers and have power too. Just something to keep in mind. For you budget I'm thinking that you'll either have to give up on the wireless or go with something like the Vizio.

jozo

Grip
Real Name
john
ArmSC said:
With a $300-500 budget anything wireless will be difficult. An AVR will cost $200-300 for one that has bluetooth and a wireless rear kit will be another $100-150. Without even starting to get speakers you're already spending quite a bit and you'll still have wires. Most wireless system will still require you to wire from the receiver to the speakers and have power too. Just something to keep in mind. For you budget I'm thinking that you'll either have to give up on the wireless or go with something like the Vizio.
Yes, I think something like the Vizio would be best for my needs & budget.

Asking an earlier question again; are there soundbar systems where the satellite speakers are wireless and don't have to be wired from the subwoofer? (I'm goofy about wires showing!)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
jozo said:
Yes, I think something like the Vizio would be best for my needs & budget.

Asking an earlier question again; are there soundbar systems where the satellite speakers are wireless and don't have to be wired from the subwoofer? (I'm goofy about wires showing!)
If the sats were "truly wireless" they'd run on batteries.

You do realize the Sub plugs into the wall???

jozo

Grip
Real Name
john
schan1269 said:
If the sats were "truly wireless" they'd run on batteries.

You do realize the Sub plugs into the wall???
Yes, I know. The sub will be under the couch against the wall, no wires will be showing. It just needs to be in sight of the soundbar.

My question was: are there soundbar systems where the satellite speakers are wireless and don't have to be wired from the subwoofer?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Only if you buy a Blu-ray HTiB with wireless rear module. Then you have wires to the other 4 speakers...and wires from the rear module to the sats anyway.

Module vs sub...same difference.

jozo

Grip
Real Name
john
ArmSC said:

Tony: You do a good job of explaining all this: I'm looking at the Vizio soundbar system or some variation of it. If I can't find a unit with rear sat speakers that are wireless (still not sure if available), I'm pretty sure i can mount them on the wall and run the wires down to the sub so they won't show.

My question is: How high on the wall is the best place for the sats? I've seen them around halfway up the wall and also up near the ceiling. Also, how far from the main listening area?

Thanks.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
How high just depends on what your room and decor tastes dictate. Most of the time you want to have your speakers around the ear level while in the seated position. However, that's not a hard and fast rule to live by. Like you said some systems have the speakers at ceiling level angled down and others have them 3/4 way up the wall. How far from the main listening area again depends on your room most of time. I can't recall the recommendations off the top of my head but it's normally to the side of the main listening area of behind the listening area with enough room so it's not in the ear of a person on the couch.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The rear sats of Vizio system ARE WIRELESS.

All WIRELESS systems are not actually "wireless". Some part of the "wireless system" has to plug into the wall. Period.

Nobody at the cheap end is going to provide sats that independently plug into the wall(meaning, both go straight to the wall. Rather than a module or the sub).

You will have wires no matter what you buy.

jozo

Grip
Real Name
john
ArmSC said:
How high just depends on what your room and decor tastes dictate. Most of the time you want to have your speakers around the ear level while in the seated position. However, that's not a hard and fast rule to live by. Like you said some systems have the speakers at ceiling level angled down and others have them 3/4 way up the wall. How far from the main listening area again depends on your room most of time. I can't recall the recommendations off the top of my head but it's normally to the side of the main listening area of behind the listening area with enough room so it's not in the ear of a person on the couch.
Thanks, Tony. The room is on the small side and I'm liking the consumer reviews of the Vizio recommended here.

As far as wires not showing, I think I'm good. The subwoofer will be under the couch and will plug into the outlet there. The rear sats,are not wreless, they are wired to the sub, but there is plenty of wire included for me to snake through the wall behind the couch.

As far as height, I think I'll wait a few weeks before mounting and see what sounds best. I am thinking 3/4 up the wall would be best.

Thanks for the help.

jozo

Grip
Real Name
john
ArmSC said:

Just bought the Vizio HT you recommended and it works really well, quick install, sound is great.

One small problem: I am not getting sound from the subwoofer and rear sats only when trying to hear tv movies, sports, etc. When I put in a DVD, the rear speakers all work fine.

I paired them according to the owners manual, phone tech help was no good.

I am using an optical cable from the soundbar to the tv.

Really weird. i wonder if i need to tinker with the cable remote settings???????

Help?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks