What's new

Need help (1 Viewer)

kkarey27

Grip
Real Name
Kathy
I posted to this forum in 2012 and a wonderful member (schan1269) helped me connect all my devices. I am forever grateful. Really, that member was patient and kind.
Fast forward to 2020 and I have a new Samsung TV QN65Q80TAFXZA. My receiver is an old JVC TH-G31 with 5 speakers and 1 woofer and I am willing to upgrade! I also have a Spectrum cable box Humax 200H.
I also have an original Apple TV box and a Toslink switch which I would like to eliminate but if getting rid of my Apple TV makes my iTunes inaccessible then I will reconnect it.

My goal with the new TV was to eliminate the Apple TV device and Toslink switch. I simply want to connect my new TV with an existing surround sound system and the Spectrum cable box.
Can I do that?
When I access Netflix on my new TV the sound from the "TV" channel still plays on the TV speaker.
Please help. I upgraded to make life simpler and it is not. I also would love to have ONE remote and not 5. Any help is appreciated.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll take one step. If you're willing to update the receiver, you should be able to play iTunes without any additional equipment (like the Apple TV) connected, since a lot of receivers today have AirPlay built in.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm curious what the toslink switch is for. What components are being selected from? I'm also wondering if you really have the original Apple TV, or maybe a Gen 2. The original was about 6" square and aluminum, and the Gen 2 is a small black square about 3" wide and 1" tall.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Don't Samsung TV's have the ability to download the APPLE TV and Music APP ?

The TV appears to have 4 HDMI inputs.
Humax Cable TV -- should be HDMI
Even the original Apple had HDMI which might simplify thing even it you end up leaving it connected.

The receiver only had one HDMI, but I'm not sure if it's a bidirectional connection or not (?? ARC enabled)
I suspect it's HDMI out only which may complicate matters
The manuals lists the JVC as HDMI In/Out -/Yes (1080p Up-Conversion)

How is the new TV currently connected to the Receiver? The HDMI and/or Toslink In?
I will assume there is some selection in the menu to run the system on a AV Receiver/Soundbar instead of TV speakers

Which APPLE TV model do you have - the original Gen 1 is the only one I can see with Component/RCA Audio/Toslink and a std USB so that would be an easy ID. The Gen 2 and 3 dropped all the RCA connectors but kept the Toslink and changed the USB to a MicroUSB

Last edited:

kkarey27

Grip
Real Name
Kathy
Hi all, thank you for your quick responses. Technically I am a senior citizen but like to think I can handle these tech issues. So please be patient. Originally I had a Samsung LN52B750 which was not smart. I had to log in to my iTunes account and then use the wireless capability to access Netflix, Apple TV and iTunes. I used the Toslink switch to use HDMI 1 or 2 to access my Apple TV which I am guessing is Gen 2 since it is about 4" square and solid black and has an Optical Audio input, HDMI input, ethernet input and other input that looks like a cactus tree. Also power outlet. I upgraded to the new Samsung TV in the hopes of not having to log in to my iTunes account on my computer and changing the HDMI source on the TV AND toggling the sound system. Did you get that? Three remotes and three settings just to watch Netflix. I need simpler things. So here's the deal. I have the new Samsung TV and old JVC DVD/surround sound receiver and the Spectrum cable box. I just want one remote. If I need to upgrade my old JVC to a new receiver (I think I am in love with the
Sony - 725W 5.2-Ch. Hi-Res 4K Ultra HD A/V Home Theater Receiver - Black
Model:STRDH590 SKU:6187502) then I will upgrade. Please send other recommendations. I am open to all reviews.
I love the surround sound and do not want a sound bar. I truly appreciate the sound that comes from all angles. I just don't want to toggle between switches if I want to watch cable tv, netflix, apple tv, etc. You guys are the best and I appreciate the help.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, I highly recommend you get a new receiver. From what I read here often, people seem to be rather unimpressed with Sony receivers these days. Brands tend to have ups and downs, and currently the most common suggestion with budget receivers is Denon. I do know they all have AirPlay built-in for playback of music from iTunes, but your comment about having to "log in to my iTunes account and then use the wireless capability to access Netflix, Apple TV and iTunes" has me confused exactly how things have been working. Actually, iTunes was nearly disappeared as a playback app. Macs and i-devices now use the Music app. So some things might need to be clarified there.

There are remotes such as ones from Logitech which can automate a lot of processes, once they've been programmed.

You can definitely get there from here, especially with a new receiver and remote. I'm still a little unclear on how you use iTunes. is the music stored on a computer running iTunes?

kkarey27

Grip
Real Name
Kathy
OK, I highly recommend you get a new receiver. From what I read here often, people seem to be rather unimpressed with Sony receivers these days. Brands tend to have ups and downs, and currently the most common suggestion with budget receivers is Denon. I do know they all have AirPlay built-in for playback of music from iTunes, but your comment about having to "log in to my iTunes account and then use the wireless capability to access Netflix, Apple TV and iTunes" has me confused exactly how things have been working. Actually, iTunes was nearly disappeared as a playback app. Macs and i-devices now use the Music app. So some things might need to be clarified there.

There are remotes such as ones from Logitech which can automate a lot of processes, once they've been programmed.

You can definitely get there from here, especially with a new receiver and remote. I'm still a little unclear on how you use iTunes. is the music stored on a computer running iTunes?
I have a Mac Desk top with an old iTunes account. Back in the olden days I purchased music and movies. In order to watch the movies, either bought or rented, I had to open my iTunes account on my desk top and then use my apple tv connected to my Samsung tv to watch the movie. I had to switch the HDMI connection to the DVD/JVC device and switch the audio sound via the Toslink. A lot of work, right? Ugh.
I just got the new TV to recognize the surround sound from the JVC and I can switch between Netflix, Apple TV + and regular cable TV but my newest dilemma is that the sound is only coming from the front and center speakers. Not back speakers. I desperately want to upgrade the receiver and I do not care if it has a DVD option like my current JVC device. Recommendations please...but let's keep it around $300. I don't want to spend more than that on an audio receiver for surround sound. Again, thankful and grateful for all help!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Things have... changed. Generally for the better. You might want to consider getting a new(er) Apple TV for playback of your purchased media. Current Apple TVs will play that stuff back directly, rather than all the hoops you had to jump through with your old equipment. Or, I think some devices (maybe even your TV) might have Apple apps you can download.

A new receiver won't have a built-in disc player, but you can get something for $300 or less, especially it you're willing to buy a closeout or refurb unit. Do you have any i-devices? iPad or iPhone?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
It looks some some new answers while I was typing, but I think most of it will work, but how to you have everything connected right now -- what cables are running to/from which box/device ?

What will end up connected to make sure I'm not missing something?
1) HUMAX Cable Box
2) Receiver/DVD combination if you keep the current receiver. Are you going to be using the DVD at all?
3) Samsung TV
?? Anything else assuming you can eliminate the APPLE TV

I'm trying to figure if there is a way to at least temp try the new TV with the old receiver and make it works.
If the APPLE TV/MUSIC APP works on the TV itself that takes care of the big problem. Please take anything I say about streaming
apps with a bit of grain of salt -- I think I understand some of it (in theory) about how it's supposed to work , but actual experience particularly with TV initiated apps is extremely limited

Potentially I think this will work with some compromise on the sound side since I think you'll be limited to Dolby Digital 5.1. I think figure out the remote situation later though the Samsung Remote may be programmable to control the Cable box and Receiver. That might be all you really need and the rest of the controls will be run via the Samsung TV. If not a programmable Logitech almost 100% will work

HUMAX HDMI Out to TV HDMI 1 IN
HDMI OUT of DVD/Receiver to TV/HDMI 2 assuming you are going to use the DVD player.

Optical Out of TV to Optical In of Receiver (not a perfect solution, but I don't see a way to use the HDMI out of the TV to run the Higher quality sound options back to the receiver). Change the Sound/Speaker in the setup menu OFF for the TV speakers or on to External or something equivalent. This should get the sound back to your receiver to use the ext speakers and no the TV speakers

If you get a new receiver, will you add a DVD/BD/UHD player or will you streaming exclusively via the built in TV apps?
If this is for just a Receiver and TV

Humax HDMI out to TV HDMI in
TV HDMI out to Receiver HDMI In
The 5 speakers will connect without an issue, but I'm not sure about your subwoofer has a built in amp. The Sony receiver you listed about appears to only have connections for a powered amp whereas you current receiver looks to have a subwoofer amp built into the receiver. If you have an unpowered amp, then it gets a bit more complicated assuming you aren't willing to buy a new subwoofer too.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can connect everything as David said.

Looking closer, I see that upgrading just the receiver would be a problem. You can't use the subwoofer with a new receiver and those speakers will be a bit of a problem with a receiver as well. I suspect you'd really need to upgrade the entire set, which would be more than $300.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
You can connect everything as David said.

Looking closer, I see that upgrading just the receiver would be a problem. You can't use the subwoofer with a new receiver and those speakers will be a bit of a problem with a receiver as well. I suspect you'd really need to upgrade the entire set, which would be more than $300.

A decent receiver and good used subwoofer wouldn't have to be too much more and the sub might be a bit more capable than the current JVC subwoofer as well. The rest of the speakers should work -- though they are 4 Ohm speakers so might have to be careful selecting a new receiver if you push the volume. Timbre matching a different brand sub is far less of an issue than upgrading 6 speaker.

kkarey27

Grip
Real Name
Kathy
Wow, thank you for all your help. Here is what I ended up with last night:
TV HDMI 1 to JVC receiver/dvd player
TV HDMI 2 to Spectrum Humax STB
optical cable from TV to JVC receiver/dvd player which is set for aux opt
TV set to external speakers (or whatever the other option is from TV speaker)

I did not reconnect the Apple TV or the Toslink 1 in/3 out switch.

The JVC speakers are working at least in the center and front. I did not hear sound from either of the back speakers but this may have been the channel/movie I was watching and not the speaker.

I am going to try to download the Apple app and see if I can access the movies I purchased on ITunes long ago.

I may have been overzealous in my thinking about buying a new receiver. The real kicker was that I could never link the JVC device to a universal remote. I like the JVC equipment and the sound is good. I have been spoiled by surround sound. So I think I will abandon the quest for a new sound system and just enjoy the new TV.

I did purchase new HDMI cables that were specified for 4K HD use.

Again, thank you for all your help. I know where to get advice now!

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Might try a DVD with known good surround and see if the back and sub are working OK.
Netflix and Streaming apps in general can be a bit odd with surround or how full of Surround they give.

Definitely run the test tones for the speakers again just to make sure everything is still hooked up correctly with all teh cable switches.

I'm not sure there;s anything like a Speaker Setup on the TV sections, but I'm guessing Netflix or one of the streaming apps has some sort of set up program to help set levels, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks