What's new

Need help with Speaker Placement (1 Viewer)

Vijay Baiyya

Auditioning
Real Name
VJ
I am in the process of setting up my first 5.1 system. I have decided on Def Tech Pro 800s for front left and right, Def Tech Pro 1000 for center and Def Tech DI 6.5 Rs for rear channels. I need help with finding the optimal placement for the speakers. TV is mounted on the wall above the fireplace.

With respect to the layout below,
1. Would L1 R1 be a better placement compared to L2 R2 for front left and right channels? Since these go on floor stands, I am planning to test both these configurations and see which one I like better, but wanted to ask you guys as well.

2. With respect to the couch, what would be the best rear channel in-ceiling speakers placements? "X"s or "O"s?The L shaped wall next to the couch limits my options. I cannot try both the placements (X and O) and see which one feels better as I dont want to end up with big open holes in my ceiling.

Other placement ideas are welcome as well.

Regards,
Vijay

Attachments

• livingroomlabelled.JPG
    livingroomlabelled.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 41

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Never a big fan of the "TV over fireplace" placements -- just a bad idea for so many reasons:

[*]TV and cables/gear is near and (above) a rather large heat source - the fireplace
[*]TV too high for optimal viewing - causes issues with neck strain
[/list]
Given room above - would move the entire setup 90 Degrees - so the couch would end up between L2 and X -- move TV between R2 and X

Then you can put the TV at a good viewing level - and at least the front 3 speakers can be placed on stands where they can be optimized.

If you are going with in-ceiling rear speakers anyway - can move them above/behind the new couch location...

That is my 2 cents....others may vary....

Vijay Baiyya

Auditioning
Real Name
VJ
Martino,
Thank you for the reply. I totally agree with your reasoning.
Unfortunately, moving the setup 90 degrees is not an option since the window on the right will be blocked by the TV. Wife will not be happy if I do that.
--
Vijay

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
For the fronts, based on the seating distance you have shown, the wider placement (L2/R2) would be the better option as the "ideal" is for the speakers and seating position to be equidistant from each other.

I think the X position for the surrounds would work fine - particularly if you can nudge the couch forward so the back is in-line with the wall on the right. If, as your drawing indicates, the actual people are going to be sitting "behind" that right side wall, the sound from that speaker would be impeded to a degree that may be too much for the AVR calibration to compensate.

The O positions would work well for the added rear surrounds should you decide to go 7.1 in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks