What's new
World Wide Stereo

Need help setting up Onkyo TX-SR804 (1 Viewer)

ssutherland

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott Sutherland
Hello:

I am setting up my new home theater and having some issues with the Onkyo TX-SR804 reciever. I have 3 HDMI components: DirecTV HD-DVR, SONY HDMI DVD player, and a Playstation 3. I also have a JVC HD-P70R1U TV with 2 HDMI inputs.

Per previous suggestions on this forum, I hooked up my DirecTV DVR and DVD player to the 2 HDMI inputs on the receiver (HDMI IN 1 fot the DVR, IN 2 for the DVD), hooked the receiver to the HDMI IN 1 of the TV, and hooked the PS3 directly to my TV via the 2nd HDMI input.

I hooked up all the speakers and went through the speaker setup without a hitch (took a while, though). I followed the user manual to set up HDMI inputs by selecting Reciever/Setup, then selecting 0 HDMI. I am presented with 5 line items, one that says DVD, 4 that say Video 1-4. I followed the manual and selected the IN 2 for the DVD player and IN 1 for Video 1.

Now, when I select the Receiver/Video 1 option, I can see my DirecTV video and hear the audio on the receiver (although I had to put the volume to -26 dB to hear a decent volume (and it goes to -79 dB or lower). However, when I select Reciever/DVD, which should use the HDMI 2 input (thus, my DVD player), I do not see any video OR audio. I tried all of the other inputs, just in case I had wired in incorrectly, but to no avail. I then set Video 2 to IN 2 to see if that would work, but to no avail.

In addition, I hooked up the Audio Out of the TV to the Audio In of Video 1 on the receiver. When I put the TV onto its HDMI IN 2 option, I see the PS 3 screen, but I cannot hear the audio coming out of the audio out of the TV.

NOTE that I had this same TV hooked up to a Panasonic HTIB JUST prior to hooking this new system in, and I used the audio out of the TV to hook it to my receiver, (I had the DVR and PS3 hooked to HDMI IN 1 and 2 of the TV respectively). All of this worked flawlessly, so I know my TV is set up to output the audio to the audio output. I just cannot hear it on the receiver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott
Haverhill, MA

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

DYFLWD

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim

You can change the way the volume is displayed so that it shows a linear scale (1-99) rather than in db. Just change the Volume display to absolute.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks