What's new

Need help Pls ! (1 Viewer)

srisu

Auditioning
Real Name
Sriram, Suma
We are in the process of constructing a home. With the structure up, the builder has begun the pre-wiring work. At this stage, we would like to invest in a good HTS to be placed in the Great room with a dimension of 20*30. The speakers dont have to be wireless. The great room extends to a open Kitchen and a nook with about 20* 30 dimension. The ceiling is 8.11' feet .We would also like to place in-ceiling speakers in the first floor - One in Kitchen , One in Dining room and One in Den/Library. That would cover pretty much the common living space in the first floor. I have been researching about HT in a box but most recommendations have been not to go for that. Bose is a big no as we feel it is not worth the money. So, we would like to go for a good HTS which can be expanded into 3 different zones as described above. I would also like to decentralize the controls in each of the Zones. What I mean is, I should be able to turn on or off any of my zones seperately, with out impacting what is played in the other. Since we don't have a media room yet set. We decided to restrict our budget to about $1500 to at most $2000. We would like to go for a 5.1 system. We intend to use the HTS and the speakers to: a) Listen to music - Mostly from Youtube/IPod b) Watch Movies c) Play WII games ..in that order. We have a Samsung Blu ray player and a Samsung 42 inch LCD HDTV. I would like to please get your most valued recommendations for this price and need.. Please let me know if you need any other information before placing your recommendations.. Thanks again !

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That budget isn't going to touch de-centralized controls. The "cheapest" AVR with Zone pre-out(which you need for you de-centralized control) is the Onkyo NR515. It is $300-$400 depending where you get it. Most Zone Control stuff is $1500-$2000 by itself.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So you know why that isn't enough... http://www.amazon.com/Russound-Multizone-Controller-Amplifier-System/dp/B001F6CDYY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361216653&sr=1-1&keywords=whole+home+audio+system That doesn't include the speakers. And you CAN'T just do one, unless you do these... http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio--Ceiling-Stereo-Speaker/dp/B0000WWP4M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361216731&sr=1-1&keywords=single+stereo+speaker (three of those) That is $900, so far. You can spend

srisu

Auditioning
Real Name
Sriram, Suma
Wow Sam really never thought it would cost so much for a decentralized speaker system ! Zone controls and speakers alone costs $900(I am planning on doing at the least 2 Zones). The budget is only for the stuff. Installation is covered by my builder's electrician. So, if I buy the Onkyo NR 515 don't I need the multi zone controller amplifier???? THanks for your inputs so far Sam ! Much, much appreciated !!!!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You need BOTH the NR515 and Russound controller. The NR515 feeds the "content" into the Russound. And that is only ANALOG content. Meaning, if you want "network" audio off the computer/phone etc...those need an analog connection. If you want "network audio" over your zones...quadruple your budget. Cause the AVR itself is going to cost $1200-$2000. And If I bought a $1200 AVR...my speaker budget would not be $200. And by the way...that Russound I linked...covers 4 zones. Those speakers, you need 3, together...the $900 covers your three zones. The rest of your budget covers the 5.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks