What's new

Need help planning projector-based home theatre (1 Viewer)

tylernugent

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyler Nugent
I want to place a projector in the rear of my living room that receives video input from both a desktop computer (e.g. Chromebox) to use for video and audio streaming and a Blu-Ray player (for watching movies). The screen will be on the opposite side of the room. Where I'm stumbling is what to do about audio. I would ideally like to have a decent (i.e. budget) surround sound system that does not require me to run wires all around the room. I've spent all day doing research on various options, but I'm still not sure what would be best. I welcome your expert guidance--thanks!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The first question I'm going to ask is: do the projector and all your sources absolutely have to be at the back of the room? The reason I ask is because many advances have been made in the area of ultra short throw projectors, where the projector need only be as little as 30cm from the screen and will produce a 100" diagonal image. The pros to this for your surround setup are that when it comes to a budget surround system (5.1 channel), the only extensive length of wire to be run would be to your surround channels, which you typically mount on the sides of the room just in front of your seating and just above ear height when seated. There are also wireless surround options available for those two speakers if you really want to go that route. You could use a wireless keyboard and touchpad to operate your Chromebox, and while you would be running wiring for your left, right, centre channels and subwoofer, these would largely be concealed by whatever furniture you choose to house your source equipment just below your screen.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Welcome!

I would respectfully ask why? In a multi-purpose room such as a living room a nice OLED TV might be a much simpler and elegant approach. Even with recent advances, projectors still perform their best in dedicated rooms.

Also, a little more information would help.

1) What screen size are you interested in?
2) What's your approximate budget for audio and video.
3) Are you more into music, movies etc.
4) What type of SPL's are you looking for? Do you want to shake the house or just enjoy low to moderate multi-channel sound?

tylernugent

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyler Nugent
Thank you both for the thoughtful responses.

To answer your question, Stephen, I suppose the projector does not have to be at the back. However, that is where my cable outlet is (and therefore, my router), so it would seem easier to locate projector/computer, etc. back there. I do plan on using wireless keyboard/touchpad. I’m really looking to avoid wires running more than a couple feet anywhere in the room. I’m interested in wireless surround options, but unsure what would meet my needs.

John, the thinking behind a projector is to maximize space in a small room. I want to avoid having furniture at the front of the room because it also serves as the main entry way to the home. I think a 100” screen would meet my needs. I would like to spend under $1300 for projector and sound. For the purposes of this setup, movie sound is slightly more important than music. I am not necessarily looking to shake the house. Clarity at a low-medium volume is more important.

Thanks again for your feedback and ideas.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Thank you both for the thoughtful responses.

To answer your question, Stephen, I suppose the projector does not have to be at the back. However, that is where my cable outlet is (and therefore, my router), so it would seem easier to locate projector/computer, etc. back there. I do plan on using wireless keyboard/touchpad. I’m really looking to avoid wires running more than a couple feet anywhere in the room. I’m interested in wireless surround options, but unsure what would meet my needs.

John, the thinking behind a projector is to maximize space in a small room. I want to avoid having furniture at the front of the room because it also serves as the main entry way to the home. I think a 100” screen would meet my needs. I would like to spend under $1300 for projector and sound. For the purposes of this setup, movie sound is slightly more important than music. I am not necessarily looking to shake the house. Clarity at a low-medium volume is more important.

Thanks again for your feedback and ideas.
Then how about flipping the design and putting an ultra short throw projector et al by the cable outlet? As for running wires, there are numerous "invisible" options, including flat, adhesive backed speaker wire that can be painted over.

tylernugent

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyler Nugent
The layout is such that one side of my room (opposite the cable outlet) also serves as the entry-way to the home. My goal was to eliminate putting any furniture there and just having a screen on the wall, or a pull-down screen hanging on the ceiling. What are the advantages of using the "invisible" wire you mention, rather than a truly wireless system? Perhaps I am mistaken in assuming there is a truly wireless option that provides decent surround sound? Thanks for clarifying.

tylernugent

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyler Nugent
The layout is such that one side of my room (opposite the cable outlet) also serves as the entry-way to the home. My goal was to eliminate putting any furniture there and just having a screen on the wall, or a pull-down screen hanging on the ceiling. What are the advantages of using the "invisible" wire you mention, rather than a truly wireless system? Perhaps I am mistaken in assuming there is a truly wireless option that provides decent surround sound?

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
I always prefer to have components towards the front of the room with the front speakers and then I only have to run one cable to the projector. There are wireless hdmi sending units but in my experience, they suck for video. However, there are wireless speaker kits that are not too bad and you could use one of these by the projector for the rear speakers.

I've run the HDMI cable behind the screen to the ceiling and then hid it behind the crown molding to get to the projector. You could also put a square pattern on the ceiling with some boards and hide an HDMI under one of the boards. You could router a channel through the board to hold it in place.

If you are on a tight budget, you could get a decent receiver and then look at the Definitive Technology ProCinema600 speaker kit. If you can, go to a Magnolia Best Buy and listen to the speakers before buying them.

If you really don't want wires at all, you would need to find a soundbar that has multiple HDMI inputs and an output to run to the projector. I believe Klipsch makes a few that would work. Again, I would listen to anything before buying it.

Brian

Real Name
Shane Harger
I think it might be more helpful to you (and you'll get the help you need quicker) if you provide a map - even a crude one - of your room with approximate dimensions, rather than let everyone guess what your room looks like from your explanations; cuz the way I'm seeing it in my head is the door situated in or near the corner of the front of the room, if you have space there for a 100" screen. If that's the case, then I agree with what was said above that the room would work better flipped around with the screen on the opposite side and the furniture off to the side of the door. This would serve two purposes in a projector based theater. 1) if somebody enters the room during viewing, they can sit down immediately without having to walk to the back of the room, disturbing viewers and also perhaps the picture and screen, and 2) light being let into the room from said person's entrance, would be less likely to wash out the picture (if even just partially or for a short moment) from the back rather than the front.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
You're going to have to run power and HDMI up to the projector, and the same goes for the screen if it is a power drop model. Go ahead and bite the bullet and install wiring for the sound too. It will solve a million headaches down the road.

My system is exactly what you're describing with an added complication... My walls are all paneled in antique knotty pine. I can't get inside the walls. I ran the cabling in conduits along the baseboards. It cost a bit, but it looks seamless now.

Here is a photo of my theater. The AV equipment is off camera behind to the right. Entrances in the rear right and left. Rear channel left is directly over my head in this shot. https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/media/bigshots-clubhouse.486/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks