What's new

Need help getting 5.1 surround to work (1 Viewer)

Chris M34

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chrisht
I have an older receiver that does not have HDMI inputs/outputs but worked a couple years ago on another TV. It is a Sony STR-DE597. My tv is a Samsung Led UN65h7100. I have a comcast Hd cable box and a PS4. The cable box is connected to the TV to the HDMI in1 (STB). A digital optical out from the TV to the receiver optical video2 in and the PS4 is to the HDMI 2 on the TV. Now I can get sound from all speakers but the receiver does not light up blue and show that it is playing in 5.1 surround like it should. The PS4 does not do this either unless I use the optical from the PS4 to the receiver but even then it lights up but only shows it playing 3/2/1 and not 5.1 as it should? Any ideas or can you tell where I went wrong?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It is working properly for the way you have it hooked up.

If you want 5.1, the two sources need a direct connection to the AVR.

As you've seen, your TV dumbs down all incoming audio to 2.0.

The only thing exiting your TV in 5.1 is its own tuner and whatever apps are 5.1 supported(if any).

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Connect an optical (toslink) cable from the cable box to the Sony receiver (for 5.1 audio), leave the hdmi cable from the cable box to the display (for video only). You may have to go into the cable boxes setup menu and set audio to output via optical/digital instead of hdmi.

Do the same thing with the PS4, optical to the receiver and hdmi to the display.

When you switch between the cable box and PS4 you'll have to switch the inputs on both the box/PS4 and the display.

3/2/1 is the same thing as 5.1.

Chris M34

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chrisht
Thanks I will try that! Is there any way to avoid switching the inputs? Could I use components for the cable instead?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You could run component cables from the cable box and PS4 to the receiver and then one component cable to the display. Then you'ld only need to change the input on the receiver.

I think component still caries 1080i, doesn't it???

Chris M34

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chrisht
Great it worked!!! My receiver actually hold 2 separate optical wires so I don't need to switch back and forth!!!! Only thing I notice is the couple bluejays I tried play in PCM 48 and not the lit up blue Dolby surround? I'm guessing that's the actually disc though! Is PCM 48 good?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm kind of guessing here but if you send your receiver a PCM signal it might not lite up the Dolby Surround because the signal is already processed by the PS4. Try setting the PS4 to Bitstream (or Auto) so the receiver does the processing instead of PCM, if that's even possible, since I know absolutely nothing about Play Stations.

PCM is fine but most members recommend letting the avr process the signals via Bitstream.

Chris M34

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chrisht
I think it's probably the actual DVD because the PS4 home screen and video games do light up and play Dolby pl and DTS bitstream! Thanks again for the great help! On another note do you think there is a significant difference if I upgrade my HDMI cables or is it a waste of money?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Most of us buy our cables and wires from places like Monoprice.com PartsExpress.com BlueJeanCables.com etc. Some buy their speaker wire in bulk from Home Depot.

High end cables are more of a feel-good purchase then a performance improvement. Analog cables are a little more susceptible to electrical interference so a good outer jacket is better.

A decent quality in-expensive hdmi cable is all you need for shorter runs (< 10 ft). I bought most of mine on the cheap from Amazon (Mediabridge brand I think). For very long runs try 22 gauge cables from monoprice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks