What's new

NEED HELP! Do I salvage or is time for something new? (1 Viewer)

Hello,

I'm not a major television viewer. I'm more DVD's and Netflix with the occasional television show (Lost, True Blood) to keep me going. I use the following items for Home Audio:

Velodyne CT-80 Sub
Cambridge Soundworks M60 Bookshelf Speakers
Marantz Receiver

I have a small apartment but I get the sense that this stuff is getting a bit outmoded. Any advice to optimize what I have, or on what I should trade it in for?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You didn't say what model Marantz you have. If you're happy with the sound of everything, I'd keep it. If you have an HD tv, you might add a blu ray player to the works, and upgrade your Netflix membership to blu ray.

I'm guessing the receiver is an older one? If so, does it have 5.1/7.1 multi-channel analog inputs? If so, get a blu ray player that decodes internally, and sends the audio out over 5.1/7.1 multi-channel analog outputs. They cost a little more (maybe $100 more) than those with just HDMI output, but cheaper than another receiver. If you want blu ray, and your receiver doesn't have the analog inputs I mentioned, you might want to get a new HDMI receiver. In that case, I'd look at the Onkyo TX-SR507 and above. If you have a particular brand you'd rather have, make sure it's an HDMI v.1.3a repeater receiver, that decodes HD audio. Then you can use any blu ray player you're comfortable with.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Hi Andrew - welcome to the forum!

We could use a little more information from you...

- What size/make/model display do you have? Are you happy with it?
- What model number receiver do you have? Does it support HDMI and/or the lossless Blu-Ray audio formats?
- Is Blu-Ray something you'd consider switching to in the future?
- Are you into gaming systems (PS3, XBox, Wii)?
- Are you currently running a 2.1 speaker setup (front bookshelves + subwoofer) or do you have a center and/or surrounds? If so, what make/model speakers?
- What source do you have for TV - cable, satellite - and is it HD or not?

In general, older gear will work fine for older media formats - it's trying to integrate the NEWER stuff (like Blu-Ray, HD) with older gear that gets tricky.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks