What's new

need help deciding (1 Viewer)

Shahryar

Auditioning
Hey guys, A gentleman over at slickdeals (tourbound6) posted this thread as a reference. We were in a discussion over the Harman Kardon 245 (I'll post the specific link to the thread when I hit 10 posts) when I Brought up wanting to get a receiver for my PS3. I was wondering what the thoughts would be for the Onkyo TX-605 that can be pre-ordered from J&R right now for $399. Would that be a good receiver for the money for my PS3 and blu-ray?

I'm hoping to use this in my master bedroom so I really want to get small, small speakers so that I don't make the room too techie. Any suggestions on speakers would be much appreciated too. I know master bedroom and home theater don't really go together, but if I'm going to keep a 40" 1080p LCD on the wall with my PS3 to watch HD on, I gotta have 5.1 and 7.1 sound.

Neal_C

Second Unit

I'm tourbound6 on slickdeals. Yes, I think the Onkyo will suit you just fine for the PS3 and Blu-Ray, especially in a bedroom setup.

Some others might chime in on speakers. They are such a personal decision it is hard for someone else to make a recommendation. I have Def. Techs and love them, for what its worth.

Shahryar

Auditioning

Thanks Neal_C / Tourbound6. Hopefully I can get a few recommendations on speakers. I was thinking of the real, real small ones. Like those Bose lifestyle ones? I don't think they'd bother the room too much then.

Neal_C

Second Unit

Whatever you do, please don't encourage Bose by buying their stuff. Those speakers cost about $20 to make and look at the prices they charge. I know you want something aesthetically pleasing but buy something with some quality to it as well.

Shahryar

Auditioning

whoops.. alright, no more encouraging Bose purchases. But you get the idea of what I'm saying. something along the lines of those for the master bedroom.

Shahryar

Auditioning
I still haven't made the purchase of the Onkyo TX-605 yet, but will have to soon... the FIOS guy is coming to install FIOS in our house, and when he does, I'll finally have HD in my bedroom.

Hopefully this isn't too off topic, but any suggestions on the best speakerwires to use with this unit? I Since we're probably going to have to lift the carpet up to run the cable wire from the wall where the outlet is to where the TV is, I was thinking of running speaker wires in one shot (2 to the sides of the room, and 2 to the back of the room in anticipation of my 7.1 set up).

I posted this question over at slickdeals in an Onkyo thread (will post link when I'm able to, I'm still too newbie here for link posting rights) and got this advice from dbpaddler:

Anyone care to add to this in any way? I went on ebay and am seeing somethings catch my eye.

Shahryar

Auditioning
Hey guys, I finally got around to making the purchase today on the 605 when i saw it drop to $350 refurbed on Shop Onkyo. I wanted to thank the helpful people on this thread, esp Neal_C. Hoping to be a more active member of this forum now that I have a real home theater component.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks