What's new

Need Help connecting old 5.1 sound to a new projector (1 Viewer)

Forge

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonathan
Current Setup and Problem:
I recently bought the Acer H5380BD Projector and want to connect it to an older Sony 5.1 sound system I have (the receiver does not support HDMI, it uses component instead).

I am currently using a laptop to play discs and watch netflix movies on it (although I plan to get a dedicated blu-ray player in the future). I am connecting the laptop directly to the projector using HDMI, and then using the single component sound output in the projector to connect to my receiver. This is giving me only stereo sound, and I want to figure out what I need in order to get the full 5.1.

My Ideas:

I have looked into adapters (like this and that), but I am not sure whether these would solve the problem for me, and I have some concern from reviews of these products saying that they reduce image quality. (connecting the adapter to my laptop so I can run through the receiver)

Another thought is to get the blu-ray player now, one that has component outputs. Unfortunately most currently made ones I have seen only have HDMI output (at least the ones that have access to apps like Netflix and Amazon video). But maybe there's one I missed?

I am also open to a new receiver, but my budget for solving this sound problem is

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Long term, your best solution will probably be to get a new receiver - but it doesn't have to be brand new. You could get a refurbished model from five years ago that included HDMI and it wouldn't be outrageously expensive. But it may be over $100.

Does your current receiver have an optical audio input (sometimes called toslink)? If so, you could get an older Blu-ray player used on eBay, something like a Sony BDP-350 or an LG BD670. Both of those players have HDMI outputs that can go to the projector, and optical audio outputs that can do 5.1 to your stereo, and can usually be found used for under $100, sometimes even way under $100.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
A new AVR would be the best solution as you're just going to keep running into issues as you try to add in modern sources.

I think for now just put your AVR into some kind of simulated surround mode (soundfield) like a DPLII if it has it. I'm assuming it does but without a model number I can't say for sure.

Forge

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonathan
Thanks for your help!

I have put put it into the simulated surround mode that you mentioned (which I didn't know about), and so now at least all of the speakers are activating.

My plan is to take your advice and upgrade the receiver, but I will probably hold off on it in order to get something newer and nicer.

If you have any thoughts of what some basic or entry level receivers and speakers I might start saving towards, I'd be happy to take a look at them (or if you want to point me to another thread or place where I'm sure someone has already asked about that). Otherwise I'm going to consider this question answered.

Thanks again!

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Forge said:
If you have any thoughts of what some basic or entry level receivers and speakers I might start saving towards, I'd be happy to take a look at them (or if you want to point me to another thread or place where I'm sure someone has already asked about that). Otherwise I'm going to consider this question answered.

Thanks again!

First off you're very welcome for help. I'm glad that worked for you at least for the time being.

Now lets try to address the speakers and AVR recommendations.

AVR - Yamaha RX-V379 or Denon AVR-S510BT both currently at $280 new but both can be found refurb ($220 and $190) for less. Entry level but will certainly be a step up from what you have.

Speakers - This will be tough without a budget as you can spend $120-1000+ depending on what you're looking for. What do you currently have for speakers? How large is the space? It might be cost effective to upgrade your front three and keep the rear like it is. I think for a half way decent recommendation we would need more info from you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks