What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Napoleon (2023) (1 Viewer)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Looks pretty epic. As a voracious reader of this period, I can recognize many of the key events in the trailer. I do not know if the movie will make a lot of sense to a lot of people as it tries to cover so much in less than 3 hours, but I am certainly looking forward to it.

YANG

Screenwriter
If 150 minutes is the final cut’s running time, that’s a lot to cover in that amount of time and do history justice. I still lament films not having intermissions anymore when they break the 2 1/2 hour mark. Perhaps on video there will be a longer cut...
just in case you've not noticed... there's a big name in the beginning credit of the trailer.
have anybody seen physical media release of GreyHound yet? NAPOLEON could end up in the same fate... keep rolling in streaming platforms.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
1st viewing of the trailer didn’t wow me, but on a 2nd watch, it does look pretty good.

I’ve mentioned in other threads that characters who should be speaking in a foreign tongue can take me out of more modern movies (ie. the last 20-25 years), so seeing Napoleon speaking in English was a little jarring (for me).

If all the characters in the film are French, then I can accept this as a translation. But it looks like there’ll be some English characters as well.

Ridley Scott does have a habit of doing this. I can accept The Last Duel being all in English, as pretty much every character was French, so I treated it as a translation. Will have to see how this film turns out.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Trailer will be in front of IMAX showings of MI: Dead Reckoning.

Yup. Saw this with MI last night. It certainly looks good, but I've been mostly disappointed in Ridley Scott of late.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'd have to disagree, I think it looks rotten, all those desaturated/blue shots, even the candlelight shots look odd to me.

Josephine - "What is your name?"

Napoleon - "Napoleon"

Josephine - "The course of my life has just changed...Napoleon"

Mind you, it's been many years since I enjoyed a Ridley Scott film.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Subscriber Cover

F2IsCUkXkAAaJjb

Newsstand Cover

F2IpezrWoAANQW3

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Looks like we are going to get the long cut of Napoleon on disc and perhaps for home streaming:

• Director Ridley Scott has a four-and-a-half hour long cut of the film Napoleon, providing a more in-depth focus on the character's first wife Joséphine.
  • Scott is hopeful that Apple might screen the extended cut of the film in the future, allowing audiences to experience the full length and richness of the story.

You can pretty much count on Ridley to deliver an alternate cut. I'm happy. So, theatrical 2 hours 38 minutes, extended cut 4 hours and 30 minutes. As always with Ridley, he has not said this longer cut is his "director's cut" which is probably what he considers the theatrical cut.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The studios really are making it much easier for Oppenheimer at the Oscars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks