What's new

The Last Duel (2021) (2 Viewers)

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
For the most part I likes this movie, though it was not without it flaws.

No, I didn't buy Affleck as a French Lord, but Driver was in almost every scene with him and gave such a great performance that he more than compensated. And at first I thought Damon was a bit too stoic, and at times looked like he was channeling Billy Bob Thornton from sling blade. But it seemed fitting after his turn in the third chapter, when all of he is pent up anger, jealousy, rage, etc. came to the forefront.

I was also confused at first by the structure since the events didn't change depending on the perspective and the rape occurred in all three versions. And they flat out stated that the third chapter was the truth. But Damon's motivations changed from an audience perspective, and it would have been hard to convey that in a linear fashion.

The film was a bit long. legris' chapter was a bit long, and Marguerite's chapter started quite slow. But once again a great ending made up for a lot.

I liked the period detail, though it did seem a bit too clean and pristine for the 14th century.

But there were two things that kind of bugged me towards the end. One was the mother confessing that she too had been raped, and the other was the shot of the young girl in the stands after the duel. To me those two things brought modern sensibilities to a historic story and portrayed Marguerite as a modern feminist hero. The story was powerful enough already. Between Damon's attitude in the third chapter and the description of what would happen to her for bearing false witness, the point was made as to how strong she was. I didn't need it spelled out so obviously.

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I already said it in another thread. Just the way they started the movie, made me not liking it.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I already said it in another thread. Just the way they started the movie, made me not liking it.
They started with the two characters dueling. They showed one blow and gave away nothing. The movie is titled "the last duel," you were thinking maybe there wouldn't be one after all? 😜

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Watched this on D+ today. Well made film with an excellent cast but the three segments didn't work for me and it was very obvious who was telling the truth and how the ending would play out. Doubt I would watch again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks