The Answer to Round 8 is

2 Correct Answers - 7 points awarded to:

Brian Lawrence
Ray H

Incorrect answers: The Greatest Show on Earth, Cinema Paradiso

The Answer to Round 9 is

1 Correct answer - 7 points awarded to:

Brian Lawrence

Incorrect answers: Dazed and Confused, Two-Lane Blacktop, About Schmidt, Requiem for a Dream

The Answer to Round 10 is

14 Correct Answers - 5 points awarded to:

Brian Lawrence
Nick Sievers
Brad Porter
Dome Vongvises
James Kiang
Brian Kleinke
Eric Eickhorst
Ray H
Chucky P
Walter Kittel
Andrew_Sch
Rain
Neil J
Martin Teller
Scott Weinberg

Incorrect answers: JohnRice initally answered Temple of Doom, then changed it at the last minute to Last Crusade.

3 people included the quote "Bad Dates" and two of you said "I refuse to call this Indiana Jones and..."

Scorecard:

Martin Teller - 20
Nick Sievers - 15
Simon_Lepine - 20
Walter Kittel - 27
Bill McA - 22
John Rice - 34
Chucky P - 25
Brad Porter - 20
Scott Weinberg - 25
Jack Shappa - 15
Dome Vongvises - 17
Brian Lawrence - 41
Brook K - 15
Jim K - 5
James Kiang - 20
Eric Eickhorst - 20
Ray H - 32
Neil J - 10
Rain - 10
Andrew_Sch - 15
Brian Kleinke - 5

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
JohnRice initally answered Temple of Doom, then changed it at the last minute to Last Crusade.
Problem is, those movies all blend together for me, I didn't get the DVD set and the only one I have on LD is the last one. "Bad Dates" was all I could remember.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Yay. Took a guess on round 8 and got it right. :D

The new batch is pretty easy (I think anyway!) but I'm still deciding on Round 12.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
New rounds should be up between 12:30-1:00 Am (EST) tonight and rounds 11-14 answers tomorrow around noon.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Hey, I didn't know a new one started. :frowning: In any case, I can hardly see anything in some of the shots on this monitor.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

Now that two people have mentioned this, I'm a little concerned. Could you elaborate a little more, are the shots too small, dark, etc.?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Now that two people have mentioned this, I'm a little concerned. Could you elaborate a little more, are the shots too small, dark, etc.?
Some of the shots are a bit dark, even on my calibrated monitor. I don't know what software you are using, but you could bump the gamma just a bit on some shots. For example, the dance club shot in the current group looks OK, but the one above and below it are probably too dark.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Matt, the photo for Round 15 isn't showing up for me.

........Now it is, never mind.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
The Answer to Round 11 is:

4 Correct answers - 7 points awarded to:

Brian Lawrence
Nick Sievers
Ray H
Ryan PC

Incorrect answers: Army of Darkness (x2), Evil Dead 2, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

The answer to round 12 is:

5 Correct answers - 7 points awarded to:

Brian Lawrence
Ray H
Walter Kittel
John Rice
Brook K

Incorrect answers: Blade (x3), Go (x2), 8-Mile, Strange Days

I know this was a hard one, but if you look right in the middle you can see Naturelle standing there in her silver dress, so it's not completely random.

The answer to round 13 is:

8 Correct answers - 5 points awarded to:

Brian Lawrence
Ray H
Walter Kittel
Andrew_Sch
Simon_Lepine
Martin Teller
Bill McA
Neil J

Incorrect answers: Dawn of the Dead

The answer to round 14 is:

8 Correct answers - 5 points awarded to:

Brian Lawrence
Ray H
Walter Kittel
Simon_Lepine
Bill McA
Rain
Neil J
william-scooter

Incorrect answers: South Pacific (x2)

Scorecard (please see page 1)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In any case, I can hardly see anything in some of the shots on this monitor.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of them just show up REALLY dark for me -- for example, Round 6 is virtually just a dark rectangle with what very faintly looks like an arm on the left side. I've had this happen on occasion with other screenshot contests, though this one seems to have more predominantly dark shots. I've noticed my monitor at work is darker than the one at home, but I don't really want to fuss with the settings. In the past, I've saved the screenshot and then used a program to lighten it up, but I don't always have time.

But since almost everyone else is managing, it must be my settings.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
The shots look fine to me. I have my monitor levels set for photoshop7. Some of the problem may be that the best gamma levels for images are not really the best levels for reading black on white text. Often this results in people who mostly use their computer for web browsing, having their monitors levels a bit low, too avoid eye-strain while reading.

I don't know what Matt is using for software, but I take my shots using PowerDVD and leave all of the powerdvd settings at default. I don't make any adjustments to color or brightness in photoshop when resizing the image for uploading it to my server.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
FWIW, these contests are for people using their browsers and often monitors that are set with the black level too low. What is "right" in my opinion is not what would reproduce best in a 4 color sep or an inkjet print, but what is the most visible for the most people. That doesn't mean intentionally dark shots shouldn't be dark, but they should be usable to the majority of people.

Because of that, on my screen caps I almost always raise the gamma just a bit to bring out some shadow detail, as well as adjusting the black and white levels on virtually every shot. It only seems fair to realize most participants are using less than ideal displays and take that into consideration.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
OK I downloaded Picture Window and messed around with rounds 15-18 to try and make them brighter. Any shots that are on the dark side I will lighten before posting so everyone can view them. :emoji_thumbsup:

-Matt

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Wow, judging by the number of correct responses I've received for the current rounds I think I've swung from too hard to way too easy!

The next four rounds (19-22) will be pretty easy, but after that I'm cracking down again.

New rounds in a minute.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks