What's new

Naked City (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Now that Naked City has been release then what is next for the classic tv releases? I would love to see 12'o clock high or other 50s/60s shows released!

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
I hear you younger. I'd like to see Richard Diamond get released. Started enjoying my Naked City set this weekend. First time watching it and I love it. THANKS to the member who tipped us off to the great deal Walmart had on this!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I've been watching alternately the first episodes of S2 with the first episodes of S1 of "Route 66" and it's interesting how many of the same guest stars for a "Naked City" episode would almost right away then do a "Route 66" as if they signed a deal with Herbert Leonard to do both shows back-to-back. Rediscovering these nuances of TV production history is yet one of the other enjoyable aspects of having them on DVD!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Walsh61 said:
I hear you younger. I'd like to see Richard Diamond get released. Started enjoying my Naked City set this weekend. First time watching it and I love it. THANKS to the member who tipped us off to the great deal Walmart had on this!
I agree. Howie, put this one in your well-deserved
2mcyj49.jpg
from us at HTF
widf9.jpg

Gary OS said:
As long as the question continues to be "what" and "when" instead of "if" I'll be happy.

Gary "hope we see plenty more b/w TV on DVD - but I believe it's definitely tapering off" O.
w7273l.jpg
It's slowing down but I think there's some
2cggfvk.jpg
left in the road.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Are you guys having to add on to your homes to store all these vintage TV DVD Sets or are there lots of lawyers, doctors in here??? If not, are y'all expert stock traders or what?
kamikaze.gif
pumping%20smiley.gif

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:

Well, you know me Jeff - Natural Born Pessimist. :lol:

Gary "actually, I think I'd make a terrible pessimist" O. :P
:D Depends on the issue. "Follow the yellow-brick road"....
68bs4i.jpg

Shatner's Grim Reaper said:
Are you guys having to add on to your homes to store all these vintage TV DVD Sets or are there lots of lawyers, doctors in here??? If not, are y'all expert stock traders or what?
kamikaze.gif
pumping%20smiley.gif
24ew5g8.jpg
Cool emotes :)

That's a good question...storage space. I use a few of those large 3-ring binders for my burned media so that freed up a lot of my shelf space.

I converted an old wall CRT-TV entertainment center to a full wall shelf so I have a lot of room for pressed box sets.

From the looks of things, I probably won't fill up the complete wall shelf since the (older show) dvd release market has slowed down the past few years.

2m6a8fn.jpg

I watched the 1st disc in the S1 box. This is the 1st time that I've seen the 1/2-hour version of the series.

I'm probably in the minority about it and it's an early take but I like the 1/2-hr version better than the 1-hr seasons so far.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Yes...I have read how you use these binders to save space...but paranoid me....worries that I might make it too easy for a thief to cart off with my vintage TV collection....such that it is.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Shatner's Grim Reaper said:
kamikaze.gif
pumping%20smiley.gif
They take up a lot less space than tens of thousands of VHS tapes took. One season of 30 one-hour episodes on DVD, a little slim case. On VHS, 15 tapes. Times that by hundreds and hundreds of series. Space is now opening up!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Neil Brock said:
They take up a lot less space than tens of thousands of VHS tapes took. One season of 30 one-hour episodes on DVD, a little slim case. On VHS, 15 tapes. Times that by hundreds and hundreds of series. Space is now opening up!
I have a stack of Columbia House VHS tapes of "The Beverly Hillbillies" ready to send off to a friend who wants them. If CBS will get us S5-9, she'll get the rest of my collection eventually.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I didn't collect too many commercial VHS tapes -- basically one whole rack about nine two-foot-long shelves high. They're just about gone (as is the specialized rack). The one thing I think is still in the house is the Columbia House "Kolchak" set which of course is a linear foot as opposed to one DVD case.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
I was just funnin' with y'all. I have two DVD cabinets about 4 foot tall that holds all my collection. The fellow that brought up VHS is correct...if our collection were converted to VHS...most of us might have to build us a Sam's Warehouse.
lamer.gif

cwilli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cheryl Williams
I wasn't expecting to enjoy the half hour version as much as the hour ones, but I do. They are able to cram a lot of storytelling in less than 30 minutes and I like the comraderie of Franciscus and McCintire. I wish they did a season two.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'll be interested in whether or not you think the show loses something once McIntire is gone and McMahon comes in, because I found those final dozen episodes to be the weakest of S1.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
I agree. There were some dramas that were very effective ar 30 minutes, Peter Gunn, NYPD, Felony Squad. 30 minutes kept them lean and mean.

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
Nobody's talking much about the video quality of the previously-unreleased one hour episodes, so I will.

The episodes previously released by Image, and now on this set, look & sound great -- they're remastered.

The others? Certainly watchable but not great. I just watched one of my favorite episodes ("A Wednesday Night Story" from season 3) and there were artifacts and ghosting throughout. In one scene, the picture got suddenly much brighter for about 20 seconds before settling back down. The fade-ins from commercial breaks "warble" (picture and sound). It's a decided comedown from the remastered episodes.

I checked out some other episodes and same thing -- definitely not remastered, but decent enough I suppose. These appear to be prints that were prepared for syndication. On these, the Screen Gems logo at the end credits has been replaced with the Columbia Pictures Television logo. The purist in me wishes the Screen Gems logo was intact.

Worth the $99 I pre-ordered this for? Yes. Worth the $25 I actually got it for? Most definitely.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Come on, Image.....was it too much too ask to remaster my favorite NC episode, "The Deadly Guinea Pig".....I mean REALLY.
smiley-eatdrink013.gif

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
That's what disappoints me about these types of releases. It's one chance to get an entire series together & not all the episodes are remastered. I haven't read anything really negative so I'm still looking forward to getting this. The quality of the previous best of box set really left me spoiled.

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
Received my set from Amazon today, also at the bargain price. Han oncly seen one first season episode before, and, after wartching a couple more, I'm starting to see how much Paul Burke based his character on James Franciscus first season detective Halloran.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks