What's new

My top 5 pet peeves of the moment (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My uncle has a theory that Massachusetts drivers are terrible because of the lack of acceleration and decceleration lanes on highways. Having lived there on and off for the last year and a half, I'm inclined to agree. I've never experienced stop and go driving in New York like I have in Massachusetts under similar volume levels.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Let's see: I'm traveling down a four lane street, two lanes each way. Light in front of me is red, no one in front of me. Car in other lane stopped at light. Driver of car behind that car zips over into my lane in order to score first place at the light. Some f****r did this to me the other day when I was planning on turning right (I was in the righthand lane). Naturally this nimrod was going straight (they could have done this in the other lane) and the light is a lengthy one. :angry:

Self-righteous non-smokers. Lady comes into our place of buisness the other day and remarks about how nice it was in here now that indoor smoking has been banned. Except that we've had a non-smoking policy in effect for well over a year. Gotcha! :rolleyes

Lazy co-workers that call off constantly but bitch about how few hours they have. And for that matter, the ones that call off but come in to pick up their paycheck. Wish my balls were that big.

Not having a decent theater in my town.

Scarlett Johansson won't return my calls. :frowning:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Here's a good one: I can understand handicapped spots, but all of a sudden these stores are putting in more and more of these "Parking for people with carts" - "Parking for people with Kids" - or "Parking for Expecting Women" :rolleyes

Like I said before, I have 2 herniated discs, back spasms, a slight hernia (amongst other back related issues that make it hard for me to get around) and I gotta park further and further away because we gotta start catering to every boob that thinks they have a rougher time than everyone else and deserves preferential treatment???? :angry:

mylan

Screenwriter
I've seen the parking for expecting mothers, that doesn't bother me so much. What does is Target having four handicap spaces at every isle near the front of the store. I can see one or even two, but four?????

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I always park in the the far back of a lot where there's less cars anyway, so that doesn't bother me. What I find funny are those parking lot 'cruisers' who will drive around forever waiting for that up-close space to open up, or will sit with their blinker on for minutes waiting for someone to load their car and back out.

It never fails, I've parked my car in the back of the lot and am walking into the store and they are still sitting in or driving around the lot.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I can see it, but what bugs me is, why just them? If you're going to allow them, then you also have to allow other types of people who have a hard time getting around (that don't have handicapped stickers).

What about people with crutches? What about people with back issues? What about overweight people who can't walk too well? etc. etc. etc.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes

I drive by the Entrance to see if there is a Space near there. If there is (And there is nobody else near by), so be, it I'll park there. If none is available I'll "Be a Good Sport" and drive to the back of the lot and park there and walk in (I can always use the exercise) :)

About 10 years ago my Mother gave me the "honors" of picking up a Package she had layed away at a Department Store during the Holidays. I drove to the Mall, which, as dreaded, was crowded. I drove to the front of the Store, finding no parking available, went to the back and walked through the snow to the Entrance. As I approached the Store someone pulled out of a Parking Space NEXT to the Entrance and drove off, Not one but TWO Drivers "Pounced" for the open space. CARRRRRRUNCH!!!!

There were about 20 people on the sidewalk at the time, when they saw the Collision they all broke into an Applause!:D

I did not envy them at all!

Alex-C

Screenwriter

This is most likely mandated by law. I've done many site plan layouts including parking layouts and the number of handicap spots is usually a function of some parameter of the site (i.e. X # of spots per SF of commerical retail space and a percentage of the total number of spots need to be handicap spots) and they must be placed as close to the store front as possible. Numerous other rules apply, but that is why.

Speaking of handicap spots...here is two pet peeves.
The ease of obtaining them now. I personally know a few people who have them, and dont need them. Plus, I am related to someone who has one and needs it badly (past stroke victim) and it's sad to see spots filled by those who have no placard. that is downright rude and lazy.

But when you start creating the spots for those with kids, spots for expectant mothers, spots for whatever, it feeds our laziness.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

My 12 year old son broke his femur in half playing football in the yard back in November. He's been on crutches since the surgery and will be until the middle of January. The surgeon wrote him a prescription to get a temporary handicapped placard. So those situations above would probably all qualify for the regular handicapped spaces (if prescribed by a physician).

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I've never looked into it, but I probably could get a sticker, but as was said, I would feel guilty taking a spot from someone who needed it more than I do. On most days, I can manage to walk fine - the days that I can't walk....well, I just don't go out, so there's no need to park in a handi-spot ;)

That's why it pisses me off to see people who barely need one, using the spots that could be used by people who could really benefit from them.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Oh, I agree. I have no doubt people abuse the system and it pisses me off when I see someone who seems able-bodied using the spot. I'm sure some of them have some unseen condition, but I'd guess a lot of them are using it when the family member it was intended for isn't even with them.

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator
I am the only way my mother can get around - she shattered her ankle a few years ago and even with a few rounds of surgery, she still can't walk properly or for long distances. When she wants to go to a store (I do 90% of all her errands without her), I drop her off at the store's entrance and then park the car. If there's a spot nearby, I'll take it. If not, I'll eventually find one. (And since someone is waiting, I don't see any reason to "wait" for a spot to be vacated) Then when we're done, I go get the car, drive next to the doors - there's usually some type of loading area - load the car and drive her home or to the next place.

She's too proud to ask her physician for a handicapped sticker since she feels she can still get around. Also it's my car, I certainly don't need one!

I can understand these things can get abused very easily. Unfortunately, the abusers - either by having one when they don't need one or ignoring the signs - make it difficult for all those that do need the assistance.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like you're the equivalent of a sticker for your mom, Bonnie. Without you, she'd pretty much have to get one.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yep, handicapped spaces (location and quantity) are dictated by law and zoning regs.

Special "theme" spaces are not, and are not legally enforcable. Don't be afraid to park in them.

Paul D G

Screenwriter

While not necessarily because of the cell phone, this is my biggest peeve at all. People who just stop dead in the middle of people traffic - like in a mall, or in a grocery store, etc. Step to the side! You're only important to yourself. No one else cares that you want to look at those shoes in the window.

-paul

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
After being honked at by Impatient Drivers behind me (They are unaware that I'm waiting for someone to pull out of a Parking Space only to find they've broken out their Cell Phone and are yakking away I pondered what would happen if someone made a device that would render Cell Phones Useless in certain areas (Such as Parking Lots) except for 911 Calls, of course. If such a device existed I'd call it a "Yammer Jammer". :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
This doesn't happen a lot, but when it does, it's infuriating - I was out yesterday and I ran into this situation more than once...

When you're traveling along and there's not a lot of traffic, then some boob gets in front of you...they go REAL slow (pissing you off) and as they are going slow, you see green traffic lights up ahead that you know you'd be able to make if this guy wasn't in front of you, but you end up getting stuck at the light because he's going too slow....

Then the topper - after getting stuck at several lights (these idiots always seem to be going the SAME way you go :angry:) as you approach a changing traffic light, they'll end up going through the yellow (just as it turns red) and YOU get stuck at the light. :angry:

I caught 3 lights in a row and I know that if that guy wasn't in front of me, I would have gotten through all of them.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
How about this one. I'm stuck at a light that was red for AT LEAST TEN Minutes (Three Songs played on the Radio while I waited.):angry: There was another car in front of me, so I could not make a Right-Hand Turn. (Which was my intentions) I shut off my engine and waited. Finally the Light went Yellow for the Cross Traffic. I turned on my engine and waited for this guy to move on. 5 - 10 Seconds go by, NOTHING! I Honk my Horn, Too late, 15 seconds later the light changed again. Frustrated, I went to this persons car, It turned out He had FALLEN ASLEEP at the wheel waiting for the light to change! I went back to my Vehicle, Did a U-Turn and went to another Street and went along my way! The City eventually got rid of the light after residents who lived nearby complained about the "Cut-Through Traffic" that this Poorly-Timed Signal was causing!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Happens to me ALL the time. People are never in a hurry until that light turns yellow. As long as it's green, they'll poke along, or even slow down a little (WTF!??). But once it changes to yellow, they floor it! But they've held you up just long enough that you have to stop. And people wonder where road rage comes from. :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks