What's new

My top 5 pet peeves of the moment (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I hate when people stay in lanes that merge, even when there's signs that show the lane is ending.

I hate when people speed down the street like a bat out of hell, especially in the middle of the night or early in the morning.

I hate when people let their dogs do their business in my yard. And it seems that the more I tell them not to, the more they purposefully come to my yard to let their dog do their business. I also hate when people throw their trash in my yard when driving by.

Like what's been mentioned a lot in this thread, cars with stereos and loud bass, cell phones, annoying kids, etc annoy me a lot as well.

Rude teens are another one that gets to me. I know I was when I was that age, but it seems like they are more so today. Maybe it's because I'll be 30 in a couple years that I feel that way, who knows.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

[grumpy old man]
I'm oooooold! And I'm not happy! And I don't like things now compared to the way they used to be. All this progress -- phooey! In my day, we didn't have these cash machines that would give you money when you needed it. There was only one bank in each state -- it was open only one hour a year. And you'd get in line, seventeen miles long, and the line became an angry mob of people -- fornicators and thieves, mutant children and circus freaks -- and you waited for years and by the time you got to the teller, you were senile and arthritic and you couldn't remember your own name. You were born, got in line, and ya died! And that's the way it was and we liked it!

Life was simpler then. There wasn't all this concern about hy-giene! It my days, we didn't have Kleenex. When you turned seventeen, you were given the family handkerchief. ... It hadn't been washed in generations and it stood on its own ... filled with diseases and swarmin' with flies. ... If you tried to blow your nose, you'd get an infection and your head would swell up and turn green and children would burst into tears at the sight o' ya! And that's the way it was and we liked it!

Life was a carnival! We entertained ourselves! We didn't need moooovin' pitchurrrres. In my day, there was only one show in town -- it was called "Stare at the sun!" ... That's right! You'd sit in the middle of an open field and stare up at the sun till your eyeballs burst into flames! And you thought, "Oh, no! Maybe I shouldn't've stared directly into the burning sun with my eyes wide open." But it was too late! Your head was on fire and people were roastin' chickens over it. ... And that's the way it was and we liked it!

Progress?! Flobble-de-flee! In my day, when we were angry and frustrated, we just said, "Flobble-de-flee!" 'cause we were idiots and we didn't know what else to say! Just a bunch o' illiterate Cro-Magnons, blowin' on crusty handkerchiefs, waitin' in lines for our head to burst into flame and that's the way it was and we liked it!
[/grumpy old man]

:D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I have a bad sinus infection and I had to get an OTC decongestant along with my prescription. I was MISERABLE and all I wanted to do was to pay for my stuff and get home to bed...

But in order to get the OTC decongestant, I had to fill out a form, sign my name, wait for the pharmacist to fill out paperwork, etc. etc. - When you're this sick, every second feels like an hour!! :angry:

Why do we have to suffer because some butt munch is using this stuff as a cheap high? I say screw em and let them kill themselves. Why do we have to make everyone else (with a brain) suffer to protect those who are too stupid to be living?

I'm sick of this "Punish the innocent to protect the guilty" tactic. Maybe if we would start giving out more severe punishments to those who are guilty, then maybe we (the innocent) wouldn't have to jump through hoops in order to get something that shouldn't require all this crap!!

John_Kiger

Agent
1) Retail store entrances with IN on the left and OUT on the right. Okay in some places, but in the States, you're supposed to keep to the right. Aaarrgh.
2) Same subject: I'm going in on the right through a double door, or holding it for my wife, and someone waiting on the other side walks through first and says "thanks!" Their door (on my left) stands unused. No, dimwit, I was NOT opening the door for you. Am I wearing a bright red suit and a monkey hat? Keep to the right. 'N' open yer own danged door.
3) People exiting on their right, as usual, and holding the door expectantly for me, while I use MY door on the right..the other one. Odd looks exchanged.
3) Drivers who "creep" ahead at stoplights and stop signs. I don't know why I hate that, I just do.
4) Oncoming trucks who drive with their left wheel on the center line in two-way traffic. We can't ALL do that, ya know. I guess we better just let the trucks do it.
5) Nutjobs in small, sporty cars who pass me at breakneck speed, then take the next exit 300 yards ahead. Okay, I get your point.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I always wave at them cheerily and shout, "Sorry about your penis!"

htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Joe

Eddie W.

Stunt Coordinator
1) Phone trees where they ask you to input your account #. And then whoever finally picks up asks for your acct # again. I've never ONCE had them know this from the input on the keypad. Why do they even ask?

2) People (and by people I mean women) who wait until their purchases are rung up, bagged, and placed in their cart before they even begin digging around for a payment method.

3) The term 'cash back' in car commercials. I want to go in & finance a vehicle sometime & ask them for a stack of cash at the end.

4) People on vacation who experience everything through a viewfinder. You know the ones, constantly recording everything. And completely missing the experience.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I hate this too, but believe it or not, there is a reason. Entering account number lets the automated attendant system route your call to the right person or department. But in most companies the telephone system and its peripherals (auto-attendant, voice mail, even call accounting system) are segregated from the computer network. In fact, the telecom stuff is usually part of Operations along with heat, light, furniture, building services. The computers are IT. (Even the cable plants are usually separate, even though you can use RJ-11 connectors and telephone wire for ethernet, and every digital telephone switch can double as a data switch.) And the empire builders who run the two sides are usually perfectly happy with that and they don't want the two systems talking to one another or interacting in any way. The result is that the phone system can't pass along the digits of your account number to the computer the customer service agent is looking at.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

I dunno about that, often when I call one of these, when the person on the other side finally responds I am addressed immediately by name, e.g.: "sorry to keep you waiting Mr Lim, what can I do for you today?"

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Phone Trees all together. I never listen to them. I just press "0" and I get a live person.

mylan

Screenwriter
All that glitter on Christmas decorations. We just put up our tree and everything is covered in it; the floor, the table we sat everything on, our clothes, skin, hair, you get the picture, we'll be vacuuming it till next Christmas.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Airplanes in almost any television show. Documentaries, reality tv, pretty much anything.

Interiors and exteriors never match. Amazing Race will show people sitting in an obvious wide-body plane, yet show a narrow-body 737 taking off. Or there will be a plane traveling thousands of miles to Australia, etc. and they'll show a little two engine Airbus landing, which couldn't possibly make that length of flight.

Minor pet peeve that a lot of people never notice, but it's so obvious they're just using stock footage, or send a crew out to film a plane, any plane, landing or taking off to be edited into the show.

Just watched a documentary on the second plane to hit the WTC. It was a 767, yet they kept alternating footage from a 757 to a 767, which are vastly different airplanes.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
College football games where the flippin' college bands play the same damn song on every play and for every score. Yeah, I'm lookin' at you tonight, Oklahoma, but this infects most college games (one of the reasons I don't watch many of them). :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks