What's new

"My Living Doll" to be released on DVD! (1 Viewer)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^

Do you mean phony as in manipulated?

I don't know, really, I've never thought about it.

A long time ago I watched some of his Love That Bob/Bob Cummings Show episodes and while I thought they were fine, I absolutely hated any of them where he also played his grandfather. I don't know where I read this, but it was recently, that Cummings apparently wanted to do the same type thing on a My Living Doll episode, but it was nixed and Cummings was p.o.'d. It's said that he would take the scripts home over a weekend and rewrite them. Who is allowed to do that? At least two people talked about this on the documentary extra on the series DVD.

The DVD also has a Love That Bob/Bob Cummings Show episode as an extra. It concerns a trial where he's a juror and might have been chosen because there's a similar trial themed episode of My Living Doll on the DVD.

Last week I watched a fifth season episode of Green Acres where he is the guest star and it's very amusing.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Flashgear, I hadn't heard anything about that news you posted and, oddly, there isn't anything else online that I've searched regarding this. ???

So I'll post one of my favorite pictures of her:

I like to collect those Hollywood studio promotion photos of celebrities, usually starlets, taken for Christmas or holiday purposes, but I don't believe Julie ever did any of those. At least I've never come across one. So, I use this one as a substitute as there's red & green. Christmas in Hollywood, heh! The girl next door, eh?

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Martin,

I just think the long lasting smile he's portraying in the opening title scenes looks forced and not natural.
I don't know, maybe its just me that sees this.
I agree with your statement on Bob playing his grandfather on the Bob Cummings Show. While amusing they were for the most part, the least entertaining of the episodes.This show should have been released on DVD long ago. John Ritter once said that Bob Cummings' character (Bob Collins) on The Bob Cummings Show was his inspiration for Jack Tripper on Threes Company.
I read from several sources that he could be a difficult person to work with at times. Not only was he a perfectionist, his meth addiction mood swings didn't help matters either.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Flashgear, I hadn't heard anything about that news you posted and, oddly, there isn't anything else online that I've searched regarding this. ???

So I'll post one of my favorite pictures of her:

I like to collect those Hollywood studio promotion photos of celebrities, usually starlets, taken for Christmas or holiday purposes, but I don't believe Julie ever did any of those. At least I've never come across one. So, I use this one as a substitute as there's red & green. Christmas in Hollywood, heh! The girl next door, eh?

Martin, this all comes from Julie Newmar's Facebook page (133K followers), a post from her dated April 27, if you scroll down on her page...here's the link https://www.facebook.com/jnewmar
She suffered a Myocardial Infarction and consequently had surgery to implant a stent...her most recent post is encouraging her fans with the news that she is home for recovery.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I wondered the same thing myself. I know it's a "he said/she said" type of thing, but how would the rumor get started that he was wanting them for free/peanuts if there wasn't some truth to it. Personally I'd love for someone that has the missing episodes to put them up for free on YouTube like I've did with Hank Williams stuff I've acquired that hasn't been released by the record companies.

I'm skeptical of the existence of the missing episodes. Again, the only word of their existence is from one person and that person's reputation in the film collecting world is extremely untrustworthy, and that's putting it politely. Likewise, the "lost in earthquake" story, another likely fairy tale being told. None of these tales have ever been verified or spoken about by any other person or entity.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
No one's replied to this, so I thought I'd bring it up again. If one or both of these episodes is different than what's on the DVD release, that would end skepticism about more episodes around.

P.S.: For anyone familiar with this, I recall that the old Video Yesteryear company sold a VHS tape with two episodes of this series on it. I'm assuming those two episodes would probably have been on the DVD release, but I don't know that for a fact as I can't find out what two were on that Video Yesteryear release. Does anyone here know?

I did rent this from a video store and watched it, but I cannot recall anything to identify which episodes they were. It was probably 25 years ago.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Martin,

I just think the long lasting smile he's portraying in the opening title scenes looks forced and not natural.
I don't know, maybe its just me that sees this.

No, I'd agree that it eventually does because it goes on too long, as though he's holding it for time for the
theme music to finish.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
No, I'd agree that it eventually does because it goes on too long, as though he's holding it for time for the theme music to finish.

Similarly, take a look at Lauren Tewes in the Season 1-2 opens of "Love Boat" and you'll catch a glimpse of her eyes wandering at the last second as she clearly signals, "Okay, how much longer am I supposed to keep holding this smile????"

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Similarly, take a look at Lauren Tewes in the Season 1-2 opens of "Love Boat" and you'll catch a glimpse of her eyes wandering at the last second as she clearly signals, "Okay, how much longer am I supposed to keep holding this smile????"

Same as Penny Marshall in the opening of Laverne and Shirley.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
vlcsnap-2018-04-30-17h51m58s420.png

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I'm skeptical of the existence of the missing episodes. Again, the only word of their existence is from one person and that person's reputation in the film collecting world is extremely untrustworthy, and that's putting it politely. Likewise, the "lost in earthquake" story, another likely fairy tale being told. None of these tales have ever been verified or spoken about by any other person or entity.
Okay, I'm following you now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks