What's new
World Wide Stereo

My HT room is ugly. Horrible. Hideous. Please help me make it comfortable. (1 Viewer)

DavidSeyba

Grip
My HT room is cramped. It is uncomfortable to live in. I hate it. I have rearranged things 5 times and can not get anything to work. I must have -

1. A spacious room. I hate this room because it feels cramped with so much crap.
2. The recliner needs the LCD next to it because I hate having to sit on an uncomfortable desk chair to use my computer. I also would like my speakers to be centered at the recliner. The comptuer is with the audio video stuff because it is connected to my receiver.
3. I want to hide the wires somehow.

Please tell me how I can improve my room. Tell me how to arrange it, where to move things, and any other tips. It is so uncomfortable.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
See what you mean.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28843.html
That's my set up....not great photos but you'll see what I am talking about.
My house is over 100 YO so I didn't want the high tech look but I wanted High Tech.
My Cabinet has electronics on one side, drawers for media on the other....and the TV in the center. Straighten up the book shelves or use the shelves for AV stuff and put the books somewhere else
I can close all the doors and you would never know.
Mount the rears on the walls; they are not as noticeable.
A big coffee table where you can store the monitor and keyboard etc.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
If I were you I'd do the room like this.
http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpub...elected=784572

Because you have to make some sacrifices some times. I would sacrifice the fireplace. Components still look good even when there not completely against the wall. They give off the effect of a wall when their aligned evenly.

Also I'd sacrice the recliner being the center of the room and make the sofa the center.

edit: fixed link to view picture.

DavidSeyba

Grip
I have never used the fireplace. I'd love to get rid of it, but I don't completely own the house so it isn't my sole decision.

Robt_Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Could we have some room dimensions?

Are the bookcases movable, and what size?

Do you have a listing of what stuff you have in this room? (Equipment, stands, furniture, etc).

[MOM] Then throw some of it away! [/MOM] :D

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It’s easy to solve a clutter problem: Just get rid of it all. Now, deciding on what you’re willing to part with – that’s another story.

So why is the office chair there? You could loose it – it doesn’t seem to have any use. Same with that table that has the second TV on it.

As far as hiding wires goes, you’ll never be able to hide that speaker wire. It would take flat wire that you could tuck down between the carpet and the wall. I don’t see any good way to hide the computer wiring. It’s not like that stuff can be run through walls or attics or anything. So unless you’re willing to move the computer to another location, you’re probably stuck with it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Shane S.

Stunt Coordinator
Well the first thing I would do is get rid of the quilt LOL :D

I actually have the same problem as you to a degree where I want my HT room to have my computer because for me the room isn't just for Movies its more of my Media room.

as far as your space issues I'd have to agree with Wayne and get rid of the exttra items. I'd also look into wall mounting your rear surrounds.
Having to have the LCD where it is and wanting the Reclyner to be the center point (believe me I understand) are really your limiting factors. Rectangular room with a fireplace on one side and the door on the other means having the reclyner in the middle is going to cause evrything else to have to be moved around it and there just isn't much space left. Usually it's big things than smaller. I don't know if I'm saying its better to swap the couch and reclyner, but it is something to think about

The big thing to remember is that when you turn off the lights and fire up the movie who cares what anything else looks like..right

Chad Anson

Second Unit
I like the layout that Lamarcus put together. You could get some inexpensive velvet curtains to cover the fireplace and go behind the entertainment center. You might even be able to hide your sub behind the curtains in the other corner.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Yeah, curtains, I didn't think of that. That would really help out with decoration. Good one Chad :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks