What's new

my home theater (1 Viewer)

Jim_Ski

Agent
we just got carpet installed not too long ago, and are finally able to watch movies in surround sound again! Hooray!

This board has been a lot of help for inspiration and ideas in seeing what others have done. It's also helped me build up my todo list for new equipment.

We've planned for a projector down the road and put two drops in the ceiling to handle different throw-lengths. We're also set up for 7.1

oh yeah, we did this all ourselves and only hired a plumber (we're actually finsihing the whole basement), taper/ceiling, and carpet installation. Framing, networking, electrical, HVAC, sheetrock, painting, trimwork, etc... all us. :)

I can't post URL's yet, so you'll have to piece the url back together:
http://www.johnskiwevner.com/gallery/Home-Theater

JayPo

Stunt Coordinator
Very nice Jim, looks cozy. Just curious, what are the blue holes on the side walls for?

Jim_Ski

Agent
Thanks for the compliments.

The blue spots on the sides are for sconce lights. Ours are perpetually on back order.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Jim, great work, that looks like a great place to kick back and watch a movie. It looks so comfortable! Well done.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Very nice job and I appreciate the work that went into it apparent fromt he history of the construction.

Jim_Ski

Agent
I can't tell you guys how great it is to hear such positive feedback after working so hard. :D

The budget was just increased to accomodate a Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver, a full set of Axiom speakers (M60ti's, VP100, and another set of QA4's), and an SVS sub (PCi25-31)!!

...and one day a projector and a screen. *drool*

JohnFay

Auditioning
Jim,

Is that the Dry-core flooring I see, and if so, how was it to install.

Gtreat Job!

John

Jim_Ski

Agent
Yup! Dricore it is. It was a breeze to install. I actually got a bit lucky going around corners and such, as once you start you're locked in (pardon the pun ;) )

I didn't measure accurately and ended up with a 1" strip for parts of the last row, that was really akward to put in. It's also worth noting that I put it in AFTER framing and sheetrock. If I were to do it again, I'd still frame against the concrete floor, but I'd put the subfloor in before sheetrock, it's just easier to get into those tight spots.

Once in a large area, the stuff goes in quickly (it's floating). I use a few spacers, but noticed after carpet that I had a few rocking spots where I could have shimmed better. Oh well. I did about 900 sq. ft. (most of a basement, except a tiled bathroom). A table saw will come in very handy for equally large projects. I did the theater room, hall, two offices, and a closet area under the stairs... another 'fun' area, heh.

Another word of advice, keep the 3/4" inch in mind when framing doors. We also had to do some door opening shaving... ugh! THAT was a pain.

Conclusion: I'm happy with it and would defnitely do it again. I have a much better feeling knowing my carpet isn't directly on the cement, and think it's much warmer as well (and softer). (note: I also did some rooms in a floating pergo floor over the dricore, which is working out great too.)

-jim

JohnFay

Auditioning
thanks for the info, and i'm definately in the same place you are (post drywall).

Good Job

John

JohnFay

Auditioning
thanks for the info, and i'm definately in the same place you are (post drywall).

Good Job

John

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Very, very nice job Jim.

The colors, the moulding, the curved stage... first class. I love the snack nook. I wish I had thought of that. Also, the lighting appears to be just about a perfect combination of the ceiling ropelight, and even downlights, and sconces (when they come in).

It appears that the equipment is in some sort of "pass thru" rack. Good for ventilation and access to wiring, but I'm curious if it will be a problem with sound leakage.

I hope stage is wide enough for that 52x92 screen... which will be on its way along with the projector ;). A room this nice deserves an FP system.

But I gotta ask...
With four boys that age, how in the he** do you find time to put a theater like this together??

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Very, very nice job Jim.

The colors, the moulding, the curved stage... first class. I love the snack nook. I wish I had thought of that. Also, the lighting appears to be just about a perfect combination of the ceiling ropelight, and even downlights, and sconces (when they come in).

It appears that the equipment is in some sort of "pass thru" rack. Good for ventilation and access to wiring, but I'm curious if it will be a problem with sound leakage.

I hope stage is wide enough for that 52x92 screen... which will be on its way along with the projector ;). A room this nice deserves an FP system.

But I gotta ask...
With four boys that age, how in the he** do you find time to put a theater like this together??

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
BrianKR,

Wow! Your HT environ is simply terrific! Wish mine was as good looking. :frowning:

Congrats for your great choice of subbass system, too! Meself is awaiting the imminent arrival of a beautiful pair of B4+ twins...to add to the existing eight 16-46 subs...

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
BrianKR,

Wow! Your HT environ is simply terrific! Wish mine was as good looking. :frowning:

Congrats for your great choice of subbass system, too! Meself is awaiting the imminent arrival of a beautiful pair of B4+ twins...to add to the existing eight 16-46 subs...

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Jim_Ski

Agent
all - again, thanks for the compliments. It's really great to hear!

Dave - I have a very understanding, and deep-down-inside-home-theater-loving wife. :D

The lighting will improve once we get some remote-controllable dimmers! hehehehehe ;)

The stage is almost 8' wide, but when we put in FP system the screen will extend beyond that and I'll just keep it above the ledge area. :) I just don't know how to do curtains over it due to the ledge... I LOVE the curtains some have done around here!

The gear is in a open backed area that is accessable in my office. I'm not sure what I'll do for a door. I'm thinking of using some kind of fride-like gasket and a foam insulation backed door. It won't be perfect but should help, and since I'm most likely to be watching when it's on... hopefully won't ever be a problem.

I haven't seen anything around here, but with my dad's help and a flashback to geometry class we came up with (or recalled) the perfect oval creating method:

Two nails, a piece of string, and a pencil. The nails are the oval's center points, tie the string to each and pull the pencil taught and draw. The placement of the nails (keep them symetrical from the center) and the length of the string determine your oval. For some setups you may need to work on a template first as the nail placement may be prohibitive.

Frank - though you may not want it, I believe there are 12-step programs for people like you (bassaholics). ;) heheh

We finally did get the sconce lights, and I finished terminating cables. I'll take some updated pics and post them soon.

-jim

Jim_Ski

Agent
all - again, thanks for the compliments. It's really great to hear!

Dave - I have a very understanding, and deep-down-inside-home-theater-loving wife. :D

The lighting will improve once we get some remote-controllable dimmers! hehehehehe ;)

The stage is almost 8' wide, but when we put in FP system the screen will extend beyond that and I'll just keep it above the ledge area. :) I just don't know how to do curtains over it due to the ledge... I LOVE the curtains some have done around here!

The gear is in a open backed area that is accessable in my office. I'm not sure what I'll do for a door. I'm thinking of using some kind of fride-like gasket and a foam insulation backed door. It won't be perfect but should help, and since I'm most likely to be watching when it's on... hopefully won't ever be a problem.

I haven't seen anything around here, but with my dad's help and a flashback to geometry class we came up with (or recalled) the perfect oval creating method:

Two nails, a piece of string, and a pencil. The nails are the oval's center points, tie the string to each and pull the pencil taught and draw. The placement of the nails (keep them symetrical from the center) and the length of the string determine your oval. For some setups you may need to work on a template first as the nail placement may be prohibitive.

Frank - though you may not want it, I believe there are 12-step programs for people like you (bassaholics). ;) heheh

We finally did get the sconce lights, and I finished terminating cables. I'll take some updated pics and post them soon.

-jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks