Mummy returns - rent or keep, or avoid?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil Joseph, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Just how good or bad is this title. I did not really like the first mummy but I heard this one was better. I thought the first one was a bit too campy and dumb, nowhere near as good as Indiana Jones. I don't expect #2 to be as good either but how do others feel about it?
    orangeman
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

2. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

surely there are tons of mummy 2 reviews everywhere....
    hell, there are numerous mummy2 related threads here- from what they seem to say, it sounds liek you definately don't want to rent it...

3. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Don't rent, Don't buy, avoid at all costs. Unless, you can view it for free.
    If you didn't like The Mummy (like me, though I hated it), you won't like The Mummy Returns. Lame. The Mummy Lames? The Lame Returns? my opinion.
    ------------------
    "I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
    My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html

4. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Rental, plain and simple. Fairly nice disc (yes, supplements are promotional), but the sequel is not as enjoyable or character-focused as the original. The idea was obviously to make it bigger than the original, but it becomes an assault of mixed-quality CGI.

5. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

I saw The Mummy Returns for free with the coupon from the Ultimate Edition of the first movie and I still felt suckered.
    And yes, I even sorta liked the first film.

6. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I really liked the first one, and also really liked the second one (saw them both in the theater). Of course, I bought both.
    A strong dissenting opinion to the 'this movie sucks' feelings.

7. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

Regardless of the film's appeal, Universal will more than likely release an Ultimate Edition. So if you don't mind waiting.......
    ------------------
    -Dwayne
    [Edited last by Dwayne on October 03, 2001 at 11:14 PM]

8. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

dupe
    [Edited last by Dwayne on October 03, 2001 at 07:25 PM]

9. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

10. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

Both movies were supposed to be campy. It isnt really supposed to be Indiana Jones (raiders is my favorite movie of all time) which in parts is pretty campy I guess. They are great popcorn type movies. I and my family really enjoyed both. To answer your question..... if you are unsure rent it(if you can find a rental place with the widescreen edition BB & Hollywood I guess are both carrying just the P&S) Its a fun rolic.
    ------------------
    Jeff Whitford
    Hometheater Guru

11. Chris Maynard

Chris Maynard Supporting Actor

What shocks me is the agony some people go through over a $19.95 purchase ($15.95 on sale). This is not a $1,500 speaker or receiver purchase. Heck Neil....you used to buy everything anyways! [​IMG]
    My thoughts are if you have to ask the question then just rent it. Plus opinions on movies vary soooo much.
    [Edited last by Chris Maynard on October 03, 2001 at 11:37 PM]

12. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    It is an acquired taste, so rent. I'll give in to the movie being terrible plot wise, but it is also entertaining because it does not take itself seriously for a second.
    ------------------
    My DVD's
    If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

13. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Rent. I found it to be a lackluster summer movie, and nowhere near the movie the original was, plotline or action wise (if that doesn't say enough, I don't know what will).
    I can't imagine anyone would want to keep it after seeing the ending.
    ------------------
    Bombardment Society - Member

14. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

The first one was better. I saw the second one by using the free ticket. Sometimes during the second one I expected the witch from H.R. Puf'n Stuf to show up any second riding her rocket powered broom!! [​IMG] I would say rental only!!.....and only if it was CHEAP!!
    ------------------

15. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
    Oh, it's a must have in anyone's DVD collection. I thought both were extremely great titles and were very comparible to that of an Indiana Jones. As the Mummy Returns was a great sequel to the First and The Temple of Doom blew chunks. I'm more impressed with the 2nd in the Mummy Series. Ha, that makes no sense at all...
    But to be honest, I was impressed with the video transfer. I thought the picture looked overall better than average. I wasn't too impressed with the DD track. It seemed a bit redundant at parts and seemed as if the surround speakers weren't doing much of a job. I give the audio track about a 6.5 out of 10 and video about a 7.5 out of 10.
    The Mummy Returns should definitly be in you collection and I suggest purchasing it. But be aware, if you did not like the first... You will not like the 2nd.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    My Laserdisc Collection

16. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

"I thought both were extremely great titles and were very comparible to that of an Indiana Jones."
    Bite your tongue.
    "Oh, it's a must have in anyone's DVD collection."
    Not in mine, it aint. Unbearable dreck, full of shoddy CGI and a script that's up there with the esteemed work of Ed Wood Jr..

17. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

Don't feed the trolls, kiddies [​IMG]!
    -Tom

18. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Neil, I have seen both and still don't really like either. We did buy the first one on DVD (the first release), the only thing that could have incised me to buy this one is if it had an amazing EX/ES track. I'm reading mixed reviews has of yet on the audio! Think I will pass for now, too many other great releases coming up soon!
    Wes

19. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

A mixed bag.
    Some good ideas, and some bad ones. Some really amazingly beautiful CGI scenes, mixed in with some truly amateurish hack quality CGI scenes.
    Rental. (Although I did buy it for my own reasons, but it is not for everyone)
    If you MUST see this movie and are a OAR fan, you may be forced to buy it because many rental outlets are only renting the Pan&Scan version.
    [Edited last by Sean Oneil on October 04, 2001 at 04:03 AM]

20. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

Avoid at all costs. Well that's not entirely true. I wasn't going to buy this one but when I saw a doorcrasher sale on it for $14.99 CDN (a good deal as it's usually $24.99) I thought about grabbing it. Then I thought about it again and decided to put it back.
    I too went and saw this one for free on the ultimate edition ticket and still felt cheated. I suppose if you have to see it then an OAR rental would be ok. Just don't buy it unseen. I liked the first Mummy but not this one.