What's new

Moulin Rouge! (2001) (1 Viewer)

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
I don't agree that it "gets better" after 15-30 minutes.

But, I will say that it took 15-30 minutes to re-adjust my mind to accept it. Once I did, I liked it alot. More than my wife.

You are free to browse my collection below to see if we have similar tastes.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I suspect I don't have "typical male" movie preferences, as I adore musicals, romances, melodramas... but I did not care at all for "Moulin Rouge".

When watching this movie I got the sense that Luhrman scooped up of every last shard of middle-brow schmaltz and pop culture detritis of the last 40-odd years, popped it all in a blender, and rendered everything down into a tedious hum of banality stuck in the same monotonous gear for 2 hours. Others find it exhilarating.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I've seen it 3 or 4 times now (I'm married :D ). I don't really hate it, but I don't really like it either. It has it's moments visually and aurally but overall I find it annoying. *please don't sing Your Song again, pretty please* Doh!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I have a friend of mine who I usually agree with on most movie selections, swears that Moulin Rouge is an excellent movie. I am appealing to the guys who have watched this movie and enjoyed it. Convince me I should check it out......
All you needed to do was search for existing threads on this film, which has been extensively discussed. Some of the earliest threads have scrolled off; so I've consolidated all the remaining ones in one place for preservation.

M.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
i thought this movie was stupid!
It's loosely based, of course, on La dame aux Camélias by Alexandre Dumas fils (= the son) and therefore also on La Traviata, the opera by Giuseppe Verdi.
The way the story in this film develops, is an hommage to these great works of art. Can't be totally stupid, one would say.
Cees

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I have never particularly liked musicals - didnt hate them, but didnt really care for them - yes somehow Moulin Rouge ended up in my Top 10 films of all time.

I went to see it not really knowing what to expect and for the first 20 minutes I still didn't know what to make of it.

Once Nicole Kidman appears though, the film just suddenly clicked for me. And by far the greatest moment is the Tango/Roxanne sequence. I had always felt singing and dancing was an uninteresting storytelling format in cinema, but this part (and the film as a whole) made me realise how wrong I was. I often just watch this sequence every now and then when I am browsing and cant decide what to watch.

And this is a film that demands the volume to be turned WAY UP!!!

Chad_

Grip
I'll weigh in with my 2 cents on this movie (and my experience in viewing it...... which mirrors what others have said here)

First - I was told it was GREAT by my sister and her husband, and hence bought it during a Boxing Day sale - on impulse.

Second - I finally got around to watching it... and was immediately put into shock by it's over-the-top style. I stopped the movie about 15-20 minutes in and COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY HATED IT! I took about 30 minutes just recovering from the assault on my senses and wondering how people could think it was such a great movie...

Third - I decided to give it another chance. The second time through the first 15-20 minutes was still rough... but once it got to the 'Your Song' moment, I was hooked enough to keep going.

Finally - By the end of the movie, I LOVED IT!!! It is an INCREDIBLE piece of art - but TOTALLY different than anything 'Hollywood' would crank out. You just have to adjust to the over-the-top style to appreciate it - not an easy task....

ADVICE - Watch the movie once... be sure to get through the opening 30 minutes without giving up on it. THEN!!! After you give yourself time to absorb it a bit (and recover from the sensory assault), RE-WATCH IT!!! Once you know where the movie is going and the characters and plot-lines, etc... you can actually follow the first 30 minutes and it 'makes sense'. It just bombarbs you with so much that the first time around your senses can't piece it together - because most of us are conditioned to having plotlines spoon-fed to us in a nice neat, easy to absorb package by formulaic Hollywood movies.

Just my 2 cents... it's a top 10 movie of all time on my list once I let myself appreciate what it had to offer! ... but I almost gave up on it within the first 30 minutes and would have hated it bitterly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks