What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Moulin Rouge! (2001) (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Moulin Rouge ALWAYS works for me! It's pure cinema magic, in my eyes.
That said, watching the same film repeatedly will dull the impact. I watched the EE of FOTR 6 times in 10 days (including the commentaries). Needless to say, I am waiting until the TTT:EE to give it another spin ;)
Take care,
Chuck

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen "Moulin Rouge" or any other Baz Luhrman film for that matter. Can't stand his "style" of film-making.
What...huh...how can...um...er...why...how do...uh...oh my...

(I'll be a good girl Patrick)

Edited to ask: are you basing this on his stage plays, or on previews alone? I really would like to know where this comes from. Also, why is the word style in quotes? He does have a style, for those 3 movies (the only movies he's directed so far) and he'll have a completely different style for his next movies. The word style does not need to be in quotes.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I've never seen "Moulin Rouge" or any other Baz Luhrman film for that matter. Can't stand his "style" of film-making.
You do realize that you have to see a movie in order to dislike it, don't you? I'm proud to be able to say I hate Joel Schumacher and Michael Bay movies because I've seen them.

Kami

Screenwriter
The only film I can recall this happening for me was The Matrix. It lost the whole cool-factor after a while and now I can barely sit through it, which is sad cause I remember how much I used to enjoy that movie. I think the fact that it was the one of the first 5 DVDs I bought contributed to this.

I could feel "Contact" losing some of its magic for me as well, that's why I stopped watching it about a year ago and will probably revisit it soon.

LOTR: FOTR has proven to be immune to this phenomena for me though, as I've seen it at least 30 times and am not bored.

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
You do realize that you have to see a movie in order to dislike it, don't you?
Not necessarily. As a child in the 80s I was at a video store and accidentally knocked over a shelf full of the then new release THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK. And what's worse is the clerk actually made me put them all back up. Even though I only first saw that movie 3 years ago, I have hated it for about 15 years.

Mark

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This does have a tendancy to happen to me too, but not with Moulin Rouge and I really don't expect it to, I don't watch it that often, I don't want to get bored with it.
Yes, everything in moderation, but I applaud Ron P for watching it that many times and still love it.
I don't know what it is, but there are some movies, very few I might add, where the repeatability factor is through the roof! Examples for me are
1. Predator (since 1987 i've seen it well over a hundred times at least, not counting sampling)
2. Die Hard 1 & 2 (classics forever)
3. E.T. (beloved until the day I die)
4. Ferris Buellers Day Off
5. Speed
6. Office Space
7. Not Another Teen Movie (please don't make fun of me for that one, I happen to think it's a brilliant comedy)
and of course
8. Titanic
Hopefully Moulin Ruge will make that distinguished list someday, it's too early to tell however, it's lookin good so far though, my favorite film of 2001 by far.
This list does not represent my taste in films as a whole, these are just films for whatever reason I could watch over and over again.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
The only movie I can watch repeatedly without losing any flavor or impact is Cheech and Chong: Up In Smoke. And that ain't even in my Top 10. It's a great movie, and certainly hilarious, but why it holds up to literally hundreds of viewings? I haven't the sligthest....

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I watched either Rushmore or Office Space daily in the summer of 2001. I had insomnia the entire summer, and I'd spend most of the night playing Diablo II...then I'd go downstairs, watch one of the above flicks, and then go for a run.
...all in all, one hell of a summer :)
BTW, you people that keep track of how many viewings you have of a movie, how do you do it? I've watched thousands of movies over the limited years of my life, and unless I had an extensive database that I kept accurate, there is no way that I'd be able to keep track of that stuff.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
I think the most times I've seen any given movie is about seven... but then, I'm only 19. It's a good idea to avoid seeing a film too often, though.

Andy TeBockhors

Auditioning
I never hear anyone mention my all-time favorite movie in these discussions. It is a true classic that features unbelievable musical performances from some of the best artists alive or dead, comedy, action, and the greatest multi-car pileup in the history of cinema.

Can you guess what movie? I've seen it many many many times and I'll probably watch it tonight because this thread made me think about it. I pull it out once every few months, but I never watch it multiple times in a row.

LOTR:FOTR is a close second, and my Oscar evaluation DVD of "The Two Towers" is truly awesome (oops, that's supposed to be a secret... heh heh.)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Moulin Rouge is one of those films that, each time I see it, I discover more and more, and I like it all the better. I'd encourage anyone 'tired' of it to put it aside for a while, and come back to it--I expect you'll fall for it again.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Ron-P: How did you manage to get through 40 viewings in such a short amount of time, without getting bored by the film?
When your addicted to a film, it's very easy :). I still watch this film twice or three times a month. I'm sure my count is way over 40 now. It still holds all it's magic and has yet to get boring.
Peace Out~:D

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
While I don't watch movies that often, I can say the same about music. There are a few CDs that I've driven into the ground because I was so into them. The problems is, I have to put them to the side for a while because I get sick of them.

It is probably the same thing here. You probably just need to put the movie down for a while and revisit it later. You might get more enjoyment out of it that way.

Jason

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I never hear anyone mention my all-time favorite movie in these discussions. It is a true classic that features unbelievable musical performances from some of the best artists alive or dead, comedy, action, and the greatest multi-car pileup in the history of cinema.
I'm guessing The Blues Brothers.
I have to say ANY movie would lose its magic for me if I watched it 21 times in a period of less than two years. I don't know if I've seen any film even 10 times, although there's a few I've probably seen 7 or 8 times (Star Wars, The Wizard Of Oz, E.T., Animal House, FotR). The thing is, there are so many movies, and more coming out all the time. You have to spread the love around.

Andy TeBockhors

Auditioning
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

"Hit it"

I know there's not a lot of special effects, surround sound, digital trickery, etc. but God I love it.

Too bad they tried to make a sequel... P.U.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Never seen Moulin Rouge, I hear tons of ppl rave about it, but never been a musical fan. I may have to give it a spin, at least once right?

No matter how many times I have seen it, don't know the exact #, but well over 20 times, The Shawshank Redemption always lures me in. Most times, while flippin channels, I will come across the televised version, and before I get into it, I pull out the dvd, pop it in, and love it for 2 hours.

I probably have 10 or so dvd's sitting on my shelf unwatched (well, I've already seen them, but haven't watched the purchased copies), and this movie will take precedence over all of them in most cases. Don't know.

Some movies, you just don't ever get tired of.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Is "Strictly Ballroom" even in the same "style" as MR and R&J?? It's a quirky story, but I don't remember it having the same "coolness" factor as either of the next two films, nor the frenetic editing of MR. In which case basing judgments of "Strictly Ballroom" on those two is pretty unfounded.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i watched back to the future every day after school for years, ghostbusters on the weekends, for even more years. i must have seen them each a couple hundred times. of course i was 7 years old when i first saw bttf in the theaters, 6 for gb. ive seen fargo many many times, along with boogie nights, 2001, and recently donnie darko.
I watched all 4 Fight Club commentaries in one week and had to shelve the film
when you have mono, you have plenty of time on your hands, this is one of my pathetic stories that, if i didnt have mono while doing it, i would never admit...well i guess mono doesnt effect sleeping in everyone like the myth says, and it didnt effect me, in fact, i only slept about 6 hours a night while having it. anyway, on the se7en and fight club dvds, i alternated commentaries, i watched ALL 8 in one day. it is pretty pathetic even for being house-bound for 22 days :frowning: i certainly learned a lot about those two movies. i also learned that i needed to read more books. if only they had commentaries....
CJ

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
BTW, you people that keep track of how many viewings you have of a movie, how do you do it? I've watched thousands of movies over the limited years of my life, and unless I had an extensive database that I kept accurate, there is no way that I'd be able to keep track of that stuff.
Well, I have a spreadsheet with all my DVDs and exact # of viewings per movie. I even put the last date that I watched that movie, so as not to watch it too often. Ooops! I guess it didn't work for Moulin Rouge. :D It's such a great movie, that I had to watch it almost weekly during the first few months I had it.
There's a ton of movies that I only watch 3-4 times, but for some reason, this movie was so good, it was necessary to watch it this many times.
The only movie which I have seen more than Moulin Rouge is of course, "Halloween" (The original) which I really can not count, because I've seen it over 300 times. When I was 12 years old, I watched it every single day, for 3 months straight. Sometimes even twice a day. Now I watch it only once or twice a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks