What's new

More Superfriends DVDs coming? (1 Viewer)

William-V

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering if there's been any word from WB about future Superfriends DVDs? It's been a while since the last one, and I'm hoping they can at least finish the 'Challenge of the Superfriends' series with 2 more disks.

Anyone else feel like I do?

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
I agree, getting the first two volumes have been great. The only thing that worries me about future releases is that both volumes were announced the same time as the batman releases...and with the new set of batman's..no CotS.
But we should not give up hope :)

Real Name
Anthony
I'd like to see some of the old filmation Batman cartoons. I still think the music on the older ones is great. Any chance of that, do you think ?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I've held off on these purchases because WB started revisiting so many of these series with box-set releases which initially started as individual snapper discs..

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I certainly hope to see more Superfriends releases. Maybe when Justice League: Starcrossed is announced officially, Warner might give us a nice super-surprise to go along with it. Just hoping, anyway.

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
I hope all the hoopla over Batman: The Animated Series hasn't overshadowed the concurrent release of the Challenge of the Superfriends box set.

This set is terrific (particularly the humorous commentaries) and I've gotten over Warner's nefarious double-dipping scheme.

De

Mick Tees

Second Unit
I'm confused...

I went to the TV Tome website and looked up SuperFriends. They have the original show simply called "SuperFriends" as airing in 1973. It was put out by Hanna Barbera. Then in 1977 "The All-New SuperFriends Hour" was released. And then "Challenge of the SuperFriends" and another "SuperFriends" version came out in 1978. In 1979 another "The World's Greatest SuperFriends" came out. In 1980 another "SuperFriends" came out. In addition there were two more follow-up programs to have "SuperFriends" in the title in the mid-eighties.

I'm debating whether to purchase the "Challenge Of The Superfriends" DVD set. I went to Amazon and people were posting reviews saying that this program was only one season.

I watched SuperFriends growing up in the 1970's but it wasn't my favorite. I don't recall having so many different seasons of it.

It looks like there were seven different seasons. Does anyone know if any of the other SuperFriends seasons are coming out on DVD? Would you recommend purchasing the current release (Challenge)?

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I liked it and I think it is worth getting. There was one season of Challenge, I think. Each series differed in casting. Earlier ones with Marvin & Wendy and Wonderdog or The Wonder Twins had a team of five heroes, Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Robin and Aquaman. Challenge had those five plus Hawkman, Green Lantern, Flash, Apache Chief, Samurai, and Black Vulcan and maybe the Wonder Twins. They fought the Legion of Doom in this series. Earlier ones would have one villain an episode for the most part, this one focused on a Group including Lex Luthor, Bizzaro, Black Manta and others. This series has been regarded as being of a better quality than the other older ones, focusing more on super heroics than teen sidekicks. I haven't seen it in a while and I will be getting the box in a few weeks.

Now I would get them all, but I think if another is more likely it is the later Super Powers one with Firestorm and Cyborg joining the team.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
Well, if you're not saving for any sets of other shows right now and you like the superfriends or Hanna Barbera cartoons and with the set at 24.98 how can you go wrong? :)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Since I saw Challenge of the Superfriends at the store, I've been thinking about picking it up. Of course, I'd be all over it, as this was one of my favorite animated series growing up as a boy.

During the 1979-80 season they did at least two episodes that were heavily influenced by "Superman: The Movie", one in which Superman gives a tour of the Fortress of Solitude. While the interior looks more like the classic comics version, the exterior was taken from the film version. They also did a movie-inspired sequel which featured a Margot Kidder-esque Lois Lane being captured by Lex Luthor and his slow-witted henchman Orville (looking for all the world like Ned Beatty's Otis); Luthor then retreats to his underground hideaway (200 feet below Park Avenue) to contact a race of solar aliens to conquer the Earth and defeat the Superfriends. Those two episodes were particularly a hoot. I remember they also did one that was inspired by "Lord of the Rings" in which the Superfriends were transformed into Hobbit-like creatures.

Definitely would be interested in other season sets of the series. :)

RyanAn

Screenwriter
We are finally getting what we want! I agree that Challenge is not getting as much exposure, but hopefully fans of the Batman series will take a shot, like I did.

Who knows, if these two releases sell enough, we may see X-Men or Spider-Man sooner than we ever hoped!

Ryan

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator
Is the CHALLENGE OF THE SUPERFRIENDS "Season 1" DVD edited?

I had someone tell me that the back of the box has fine print that says, "some footage may be missing from the original episodes and that these episodes were based on later runnings of the show".

Has anyone found that footage is mising from an actual episode? I thinking they may have just put that on the box because it originally aired as a one-hour show along with a different SuperFriends 30 minute segment.

Matthew Green

Stunt Coordinator
So is there a volume 3 announced? I want the REAL deal episodes. The ones with Lord of Middle Earth etc.

Daniel-M

Second Unit
i where over at tv.com to find out what they haven't released yet, and it looks like they have enough episodes for at least 6 more releases

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm going through vol 2 right now, and laughing my ass off at it. I'm sure I'm enjoying this show for all the wrong reasons. My favorite is seeing Batman pull up in his jet/ "Motor-Craft" with his elbow hanging out the side window, like he's cruising the strip on a Saturday night, and a shit eating smirk plastered on his mug!

Can't wait for a volume 3, although the Wonder Twins are driving me nuts on these episodes. I really want that middle earth on as well. None of my friends believe me when I tell them about Wonder Woman being turned into a hobbit!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks