What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Monster cables filing lawsuits against companies using "monster" in their name (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Perhaps if they came up with a more original moniker they might actually stand a chance of winning.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I've never really liked their over priced cables to begin with and here is another reason not to like them!:thumbsdown:

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
They're really suing Disney? Oh come on, someone tell me the article's a parody.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I'll start a company with "The" in the title, and then sue any company/product that has "The" in it. :rolleyes

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown: for frivolous lawsuits. Now you know where the revenue they get for $1-$5 manufactured cables sold at $50-$200 @ your local HT shop goes...

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Riiiight. I went to see Monsters, Inc. because I was confused. I thought it was a movie about overpriced cables.

Why not sue Universal for their Classic Monsters Collection?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Hey Monster Cables, you didn't invent the word Monster. It was used LONG before you guys were around.

Why not sue Columbia/Tri-Star for "The CABLE Guy"???

And isn't the Disney movie called Monster(S) Inc.? And ummm, didn't the movie have MONSTERS in it? What else are they supposed to call it? "Big Scary Things, Inc."???

P-uh-lease! :rolleyes

p.s. Good point. That would be like someone trying to copyright a color and charging people anytime they used it....Or how about copyrighting the air and charge people to breath? :rolleyes

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Think Monster will try to sue this monster of a post that I've made? I'm getting a monster headache just thinking about the monster lawsuit that the monster company might unleash on me!

monster
monster
monster
monster
monster
monster

:D

Anyone know a monster of a lawyer who would take my case pro bono? ;)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Microsoft sued Lindows, Inc. (now Linspire) for infringement of their Windows trademark. Lindows managed to turn it around, asserting not only that companies shouldn't be allowed to buy single words for exclusive use from the English lexicon, but that they had lots of evidence that the word "window" was used generically to describe, well, windows on computer screens long before Microsoft ever created its first version of Windows.

After Microsoft lost an appeal to have the court ignore Lindows' evidence, Microsoft paid Lindows twenty million dollars to get out of and settle a law suit that they themselves initiated.

That was cool.

I also remember years ago I saw Bill Gates on television demonstrating the Pocket-PCs that Microsoft was developing, before they had been named Pocket-PCs. The interviewer asked Gates what he intended to call the device, and gates said (something to the effect of) "It's smaller than a laptop, so we're thinking of calling it a Palm-PC." The interviewer remarked that Palm Computing might take issue with that name since Palm the name of their OS for competing products. Gates replied, "What, 'Palm'?" It's just a word." The interviewer, thinking very quickly on his feet quickly remarked, "You mean, like 'Windows' is just a word?" The glare on Gates' face and the fire in his eyes belied his hypocrisy.

So now I can add Monster Cable, along with Microsoft, to the list of companies who won't be getting any more of my money.

LewB

Screenwriter
From today's Poughkeepsie Journal:

Boy are they gonna be in trouble :rolleyes

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Monster Cable is being absurd. They should cut it out. Stick to making some product and selling it, not nicle and diming the system like this. They look like fools, because they are fools.

Just call me "Monster Dan."

Oh shoot, what was that knock?

D

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
Apparently Monster has been busy. Here is the full article:

monster lawsuit

Hopefully the link comes through. Looks like they have even sued "Monster Garage"

:frowning:

Kenneth

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Unbelievable. How can lawers, with a straight face, say they're going to sue "Monster Garage"??!?

This is worse than Spike Lee trying to sue SpikeTV. I mean, there you could see there might be 5 people in the country who would turn it on and think they were getting a channel of Spike Lee movies.

But Monster is going overboard.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Despicable. As if already swindling money from people buying their wire expecting it to make a difference (with a nice sweet markup to boot) isn't enough.

I'll stick with Recoton.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandids222
Recent bookmarks