What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Modern Silent Films on DVD? (1 Viewer)

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
Thought I'd tap our collective knowledge here...

Anyone have, or point me in the direction of, a list of modern silent films, preferably within the last 20 years? Preferably R1 DVDs, but VHS would be fine as well.

Thanks in advance,
ShaunS

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
The most obvious example would be the films of Canadian experimental director Guy Maddin, who has a modern (and often disturbing) take on German Expressionism. His films on DVD:

Tales from the Gimli Hospital (1988/Kino)
Careful (1992/Kino)
The Guy Maddin Collection: Twilight of the Ice Nymphs/Archangel/The Heart of the World (1997/1990/2000/Zeitgeist)
Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary (2002/Zeigeist)--being released May 18th

Of these, his best work is probably the 6-minute short The Heart of the World, Archangel, Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary, and Careful.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Two others (unfortunately, neither is available on DVD that I'm aware of):

Juha (Aki Kaurismaki/1999)
Silent Movie (Mel Brooks/1976)

Also, several of Jacques Tati's films have very little dialogue, in particular:

Mr. Hulot's Holiday/Les Vacances de M. Hulot (1953/Criterion)
Playtime (1972/Criterion)--OOP, but due to be re-released sometime in the next year

Juan M. Rico

Stunt Coordinator
Another Guy Maddin silent short, can be found in the WD collection SHORT volume 2. The piece is called Eye Like A Strange Ballon.

This DVD also happen to have Chris Marker's La Jetee, which was the inspiration for 12 Monkeys.

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
By the way, is Dracula Pages From a Virgin's Diary any good or worth a blind buy...I have a love-hate relationship with Maddin's work. Love Gimli, love love LOVE the shorts. Can't sit through Careful or Twilight. Anyone seen this?

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Shane:

I missed Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary during its brief run in Seattle, but have pre-ordered the DVD based on the excellent reviews (and my past experience with his films). Plus, the music is by Gustav Mahler--one of my favorite composers.

Oddly enough, I loved Careful, but couldn't stand Gimli...

Ken Horowitz

Agent
"Sidewalk Stories", 1989 by Charles Lane. Very heavily influenced by Chaplin -- a homeless street artist helps a child find his lost family. There may have been a couple of lines of dialog (haven't seen it since '89). However, it doesn't appear to be on DVD.

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent news about Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary , Brian! I've been waiting for this to come out on DVD for months, and hadn't seen a release announcement. It looks kind of pricey at Amazon, so I'm checking around to see where I can get it for less. Either way, this film will be mine on 5/18! :)

Thanks for the heads-up,

Bob

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Bob: I sent you an email, but for others who are interested, Deep Discount DVD seems to have the best price ($18; retail is $29.95). For some reason, it's not listed on DVD Price Search.

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Brian! FYI, I asked Terry over at DVDPriceSearch.com to add the disc, and he told me it would be in today's database update. So, it should be online by Monday at the latest.

- Bob

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
Maddin's Dracula is spectacular, and this is from somebody who could not STAND Careful. Dracula: PFAVD is a hauntingly beautiful, surprisingly faithful adaptation of the Stoker novel, as seen in standard narrative film throughout the last century (give or take). Not only is it a silent film, but it is a performance piece, utilizing the work of (I believe, not looking this up right now) the Montreal Ballet Company to tell the story with beautifully choreographed, graceful moves. As far as a blind buy, that's up to you, you should definitely rent it. I was lucky to catch it at LA's NuArt when it premiered, so there's no question for me as to whether I'm getting it on May 18th.

Are Zeitgeist a quality company? Do we know about the special features?

Speaking of silent films, I just picked up the Momentum release of Delicatessen (R2). That one is practically silent, as well.

BOMM,

CS

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
FYI, I picked up "Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary" today for $18 at DeepDiscountDVD! Aaaaaand, they listed the release date as 4/27! :emoji_thumbsup:

Can't wait!

- Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks