What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The Man Who Laughs -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Although rumored to be the basis for the recent film Smile, the 1928 silent/sync music and effects production is a creature all its own.

Created just post the Chaney period at Universal, and before the 1931 deluge of classic Universal horror, this is a silent with a class and elegance that came from its European roots.

Directed by Paul Leno, and based upon the Victor Hugo novel L'Homme Qui Rit, this is actually (I believe) the third incarnation of the tale.

With magnificent production design, reusing some sets from Hunchback, this is one of the early films that raised Universal from the perception that they were a lower-end studio.

Everything about the film still works, very much inclusive of Conrad Veidt, who the young'uns will recall from his turn in Caligari.

As is their norm, Flicker Alley has done a meticulous job of presenting the film, derived from a 4k restoration, and it looks superb.

Viewers can select either a modern score, or the original, inclusive of music, effects and a song. Initially released in silent form, the project was recalled and very rapidly re-issued with a Western Electric track, which probably explains the slight cropping at the left of the image.

A magnificent "silent" presented here with the greatest of quality and respect.

Image – 4

Audio – n/a

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely!

Highly Recommended

RAH

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Although rumored to be the basis for the recent film Smile, the 1928 silent/sync music and effects production is a creature all its own.

Created just post the Chaney period at Universal, and before the 1931 deluge of classic Universal horror, this is a silent with a class and elegance that came from its European roots.

Directed by Paul Leno, and based upon the Victor Hugo novel L'Homme Qui Rit, this is actually (I believe) the third incarnation of the tale.

With magnificent production design, reusing some sets from Hunchback, this is one of the early films that raised Universal from the perception that they were a lower-end studio.

Everything about the film still works, very much inclusive of Conrad Veidt, who the young'uns will recall from his turn in Caligari.

As is their norm, Flicker Alley has done a meticulous job of presenting the film, derived from a 4k restoration, and it looks superb.

Viewers can select either a modern score, or the original, inclusive of music, effects and a song. Initially released in silent form, the project was recalled and very rapidly re-issued with a Western Electric track, which probably explains the slight cropping at the left of the image.

A magnificent "silent" presented here with the greatest of quality and respect.

Image – 4

Audio – n/a

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely!

Highly Recommended

RAH
Conrad Veidt was always a favorite of mine and this was a perfect film for him to pull at your heart strings!!
And knowing that this was a common practice of that era ( to carve and mutilate children to work in carvivals and traveling circuses), adds to the empathy of the story.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Robert, once again thank you for spotlighting another great release of a worthy "silent" film, that should be seen. This film, is a great story by itself, but also plays a small part in modern mythology more than most people may know. Gwynplaine was one of the inspirations for some guy named Bob Kane, and one of his grinning characters.

I have all 3 of the Flicker Alley releases of Mr. Leni's films, apparently this was all part of the Universal Silent Restoration Project. And had hoped that we would have had an announcement for The Cat and the Canary or at least some information that it was being worked on.

And I look forward to more great silents, being discovered by "US" hopefully in 2023 by members of this forum.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert, once again thank you for spotlighting another great release of a worthy "silent" film, that should be seen. This film, is a great story by itself, but also plays a small part in modern mythology more than most people may know. Gwynplaine was one of the inspirations for some guy named Bob Kane, and one of his grinning characters.

I have all 3 of the Flicker Alley releases of Mr. Leni's films, apparently this was all part of the Universal Silent Restoration Project. And had hoped that we would have had an announcement for The Cat and the Canary or at least some information that it was being worked on.

And I look forward to more great silents, being discovered by "US" hopefully in 2023 by members of this forum.
I had heard of a certain connection to a Batman character. Any idea which one it might be?

Possibly the Penguin?

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
More likely the Joker I would think. I admit to not having kept up with the later Batman films, but I do have the latest one in 4K in the queue to watch.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Yes, very subtle, I recall now one has to be on one’s toes. The deadpan hits without warning.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
At least a year ago, I finally bought this Blu-ray when it came down to my desired price point, but I still haven't watched it yet.:blush: It replaced my 2003 DVD. A superb film that I need to watch again.

1673770688261.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks